Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When TACC was first introduced, it did not adjust speed for curves. I actually prefer this. If I'm driving, and simply using TACC for speed control, let me drive. I'll brake or lower the TACC speed if that's what I want to do.

I do understand the need to lower the set speed for curves if auto-steer is engaged.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

I owned a number of vehicles with "Radar Cruise Control" for years before my MS, paying extraordinary extra amounts for options that most people didn't buy in those early years. I rapidly learned to understand each of of my vehicle's limitations, especially on some of the high curve increasing-height interchanges here in SoCal where those vehicles, including my MS when I first took ownership, actually sped up when it was "seeing nothing above the concrete barrier ahead". Talk about a scary experience several stories above the ground at 55+mph! Since my non-Tesla vehicles didn't get constant tweaks to their firmware, that was both good and bad, but I was able to anticipate what my vehicle would and would not do -- especially in emergency situations where every moment counts -- and could turn off the enhanced driver assist mode as I was entering a potentially problematic situation. I still do the same with TACC and full AP1 as I approach curvy areas at higher speeds, construction zones with narrow lanes as we sometimes have for miles on end here on our SoCal freeway system, and when there are too many big rigs in the area around me because of too many past instances of truck lust that practically gave me a heart attack with only seconds for me to have taken manual control. Those problems have truly reduced my desire to use AP except in shorter periods of time when I'm paying even more attention that normal, because I just don't trust what Tesla's code may or may not do from release-to-release and with its fleet learning that may or may not be getting to my vehicle based on connectivity and how busy my CID is doing all it has to manage including playing my USB music...

OTOH, I still love TACC in my MS, and understand Tesla is pushing the envelope with TACC/AP beta code... but IMHO both Tesla and I need TACC to be CONSISTENT how it operates, so it is as safe of a driver assistance tool as it can be in the heat of the moment. Having unexpected changes how TACC operates, where Tesla continues to not highlight important logic changes via release notes and/or owner's manual, is problematic -- at least for me. Call me a Scardy-Cat if you want. So be it. I read this forum and attempt to keep up with what others are seeing as potential changes -- but IMHO there is no way "the increasing masses" owning a Tesla will do the same as time progresses. I suggest Tesla and most of us as owners, need to have TACC remain more of a consistent assist tool (like the other brands) that those of us that want to remain in control of driving our vehicles can use and truly grow to know what it will and won't do just like our brake pedal, whereas AP continues its push toward automous driving. At least for me, Tesla continuing to blur how TACC operates as it relates to AP, has more issues for the future than keeping TACC more as a sophisticated radar cruise control variant that will still engage the most important safety systems like emergency braking if it needs to. ...I could go on a lot longer, but I know some take exception with my all-too-long dissertations, so hopefully, I've conveyed my basic thoughts.

I had another idea driving home tonight, and maybe this had been suggested before.

When using autosteer, if I feel that the car is getting too close to the right (or left), I can apply opposite turning pressure to the steering wheel, but not enough to disengage AS, but rather, give autosteer a subtle "hint" that I want it to nudge ever so slightly in the direction I'm tugging on the wheel, but of course, still maintain lane tracking. When I stop the pressure, AS can return to it's normal activity.

Now, I have to turn the wheel to disengage AS, pass the car that's VERY close to me, and then re-engage. It's a real hassle.. I'd love to just give AS hints as to what to do in tight situations without disengaging it.

When using autosteer, if I feel that the car is getting too close to the right (or left), I can apply opposite turning pressure to the steering wheel, but not enough to disengage AS, but rather, give autosteer a subtle "hint" that I want it to nudge ever so slightly in the direction I'm tugging on the wheel, but of course, still maintain lane tracking.

Good idea. I tried swearing at it. It didn't work.

I had another idea driving home tonight, and maybe this had been suggested before.

When using autosteer, if I feel that the car is getting too close to the right (or left), I can apply opposite turning pressure to the steering wheel, but not enough to disengage AS, but rather, give autosteer a subtle "hint" that I want it to nudge ever so slightly in the direction I'm tugging on the wheel, but of course, still maintain lane tracking. When I stop the pressure, AS can return to it's normal activity.

Now, I have to turn the wheel to disengage AS, pass the car that's VERY close to me, and then re-engage. It's a real hassle.. I'd love to just give AS hints as to what to do in tight situations without disengaging it.

Agreed. I try this all the time and wish it would work.

The AP Learning system compares how a human driver would take a curve (off of autopilot) and modulates the speed on AP. Whenever the driver disables autopilot, a flag is made and the human driver statistics are compared to how the computer would take the curve, and it adjusted.
And you know this how? Speculation for sure. Speculation with anecdotal evidence. But don't present this as a fact unless you have evidence to back it up.

AP1, 2.52.22. I recently set my steering mode to Comfort because I live in area of narrow, winding roads and I'm getting old. Yesterday, I went on a longish journey and used auto-steer for the first time since I changed the mode; the car was very twitchy and auto-lane-change didn't work well at all. After a little while, a light came on in my brain and I changed the steering mode to Standard - and auto-steer and lane-change worked perfectly from then on. Anyone else come across this? Anyone surprised?

AP1, 2.52.22. I recently set my steering mode to Comfort because I live in area of narrow, winding roads and I'm getting old. Yesterday, I went on a longish journey and used auto-steer for the first time since I changed the mode; the car was very twitchy and auto-lane-change didn't work well at all. After a little while, a light came on in my brain and I changed the steering mode to Standard - and auto-steer and lane-change worked perfectly from then on. Anyone else come across this? Anyone surprised?
I experimented with that several months ago but didn't cone to any definite conclusion that one was better than another.

Ok, hypothetical - be warned I am an early adopter and do not have AP.
My question is...
A short time from now when the AP algorithms are all figured out and quite a few AP capable cars are on the road....

Four AP cars come to a 4 way stop at the same time.
Which goes first?

(getting popcorn)

Car2Car communications pick the lowest of a PRNG compute. Given the "random" playback on USB for the media player in Tesla, the algorithm is based loosely on this xkcd: Random Number

Car2Car communications pick the lowest of a PRNG compute. Given the "random" playback on USB for the media player in Tesla, the algorithm is based loosely on this xkcd: Random Number
I've posted this before, but I always preferred the Dilbert take on random number generators.

121411_1611_SecureRando1.png

My question is...
A short time from now when the AP algorithms are all figured out and quite a few AP capable cars are on the road....

Which goes first?

(getting popcorn)

Well I know that I'll be buying Super Enhanced Autopilot which gets priority over regular Enhanced Autopilot....... (self driving cars could fit in so well with end-game capitalism!)

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
My question is...

Which goes first?

(getting popcorn)

They negotiate and pick a car based on which one is closest to it's destination - the one to which seconds matter most.

• Informative
Reactions: smartypnz
Easy. It's like driving in Boston. The Boston car pretends it it doesn't see the others, and just goes for it.

Hah--I spent the first 30 years of my life in Boston. Stopping on red lights was optional (as was stopping at crosswalks), and the only way to actually get a moving violation was to run down a police officer. Tough place to learn to drive.

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Had to fly up several times a year. Learned from the locals when entering the tunnel, if the adjacent lane was faster, run the plastic lane divides over. They bend and snap right back. Thank you Hertz, and I'm sorry.

Also learned they called each other "Massholes". Was never sure if it was one word or two.