Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the very least it should include the new Linux kernel that significantly improves browser performance.

That's assuming they've updated the browser along with the kernel. That's not a given (even if EM tweeted it).

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breath.

That's assuming we're getting a real kernel update at all.

Reactions: davidc18
That's assuming they've updated the browser along with the kernel. That's not a given (even if EM tweeted it).

I'll believe it when I see it. Not holding my breath.

That's assuming we're getting a real kernel update at all.

I mean, sure. But we also have just as much confirmation that there even is an 8.1 update at all. If you're going to speculate/ask what's in the 8.1 update, then it makes sense to refer to the only source of information that states that such an update will exist.

Im very happy with the car UI and functions. I dont get why so many ppl complain?

I agree, I'm not sure what type of updates people are looking for out if the UI.

The browser can definitely use some upgrades as its practically unusable.

Nav could use some upgrades such as showing multiple route options and allowing you to choose one similar to how Google Maps Nav works.

Reactions: Jonas_man
I agree, I'm not sure what type of updates people are looking for out if the UI.

The browser can definitely use some upgrades as its practically unusable.

Nav could use some upgrades such as showing multiple route options and allowing you to choose one similar to how Google Maps Nav works.
#1 fix Nav, it's unusable for many people.
#2 fix the Media Player, particularly USB
#3 come through on the auto offramp exit support for AP
#4 Kernal update
#5 all the other UI stuff that was supposed to be in 8.0 that they said would now be in 8.1.

A faster browser is high priority for those of us who use apps like the Tesla Waze for real time traffic accident and police alerts.

https://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/

At the very least it should include the new Linux kernel that significantly improves browser performance. And bring full freeway speed AS to AP2

Totally agree. The browser in the car sounds like a good idea, but really, at this point, I'm not sure I'd use it much over my phone or iPad. There are so many other things to improve upon with a new kernel, like Nav waypoints (welcome to 1999!!), non-braindead media player, and dozens of other things.

Reactions: Imafrog

How about things as simple as toggle switches to turn off the braindead "features" like the map auto-hiding, and forcing nav and camera apps to the top windows and the others to the bottom?

I'm all for adding features that some people may like.. but at a minimum, give us, THE USERS, the options to turn them OFF.

A faster browser is high priority for those of us who use apps like the Tesla Waze for real time traffic accident and police alerts.
I used that for a while, but then I got an Abstract Ocean magnetic mount and have my phone mounted running the real Waze app on long trips anyway, so I get visual and audio alerts for traffic and police.

Reactions: mblakele and pjw65
Having toggles for various obsolete features adds to the testing load, so it slows down releases. Not worth it in my opinion. Do we really want releases to be any slower than they already are?

I think it's absurd that people think that things like this are free.

So force everyone : Creep On, Steering Mode Comfort, Regen Max, Range Mode On, Temperature in °C, Time in 24 hour format, Tire pressure in Bar and why not UI Language in French for everyone!! :)

Customization is one of the greatest feature of the car... Let ME decide how I want to enjoy my driving experience.

Not only are excessive choices hard to test, they also lead to user confusion. "Anti-grav makes the car weightless, except when shields-up is set to threat level B or cloaking is in semi-automatic mode, in which case anti-grav sets the car's phasers on stun."

The real answer is for designers to make wise choices - not "brain-dead" ones - rather than punting them to the users. Some of us are already at the stage where only one family member knows how to turn on the TV. Let's not do the same to our cars.

Not only are excessive choices hard to test, they also lead to user confusion. "Anti-grav makes the car weightless, except when shields-up is set to threat level B or cloaking is in semi-automatic mode, in which case anti-grav sets the car's phasers on stun."

The real answer is for designers to make wise choices - not "brain-dead" ones - rather than punting them to the users. Some of us are already at the stage where only one family member knows how to turn on the TV. Let's not do the same to our cars.

Then maybe Tesla should program a "Basic" mode (enabled by default)... very few easy options... keep it simple... and an "Advanced" or "Power User" mode where we can change whatever settings/features we want.

Reactions: davidc18 and mrElbe
I think that makes enormous sense, ccharleb. My camera has dozens of settings, whose interactions probably range into the millions (something factorial). It's great to have for serious photography, but when the baby is doing something cute the AUTO mode is very nice to have.

What? Toggling map-auto-hiding is hard to test? Really?

AP2 is hard to test.

Toggling a simple UI feature? No way.

You're right. It's (relatively) easy. Although I'm not sure how I would test it in an automated way. UI behavior is tricky to test. You often have to have a person looking at the UI and checking a box to say that it performed properly both ways. And properly means that it not only functioned at desired, but that it was quick and smooth. And you really have to test everything with the toggle both ways, so you've doubled your testing just for one stupid toggle. Because really, it might not be smooth if some other thing you have set is using the relevant CPU at the time this bit of UI has to do its thing.

Do this over ten toggles, and in theory you've multiplied your testing by over 1000 times. That, of course, is impossible, so you find clever ways to cut it down. But without lots of cleverness and automation, it gets ugly fast. Keeping something around just because a few people might want it is not something to be done lightly. It's an exponential problem and those are bad things to have. Reliability goes to hell. Delivery time goes to hell. Products and companies die because people make stupid decisions about stuff like this. So it's a good idea to be very careful about your decisions.

Hank,

Small features are easy to test in isolation. But inside a program things interact in unplanned ways that may have nothing to do with their function. A variable name is accidentally reused. Memory leaks are introduced, causing hard-to-detect system crashes at some future time.

So, yes, a little thing like auto-hide can cause lots of problems even when that feature itself is working fine.

Yeah, I get all that. But compare those efforts over the absolute braindead idea that it takes multiple taps and delays WHILE DRIVING to bring up the top icon bar to just bring up another app on screen. I showed this to my wife and right away she was like 'what a distraction while driving'. I don't care how much more testing it takes, it's an absolutely horribly user interface "enhanement" to force upon all drivers, all the time. Minimizing distracted driver interaction while driving is well worth whatever "extra" testing is needed to enable a simple toggle switch.

I get the idea of maximizing the map on the screen for one extra inch of map space. The "testing" they did to implement that feature is 10x more involved than adding a simple toggle to prevent it from happening. And they already did that testing (we assume) so adding a toggle at the same time as adding that feature would not have added significantly more testing time.

But seriously, a lot of us are software development professionals. You can spout out all the theory you want, but the bottom line, and you know it, is that it's actually pretty trivial to add and test a simple toggle to disable that feature.

By the way, we already know that Tesla doesn't test their software (see USB media player).