Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People aren't "asking" for a kernel update. Elon promised a kernel update in a tweet weeks ago, so people are just responding to that.

And yes, a kernel update can improve UI speed and core apps and libraries, like perhaps the browser which needs to be updated. Perhaps even a kernel update will allow a browser like Chrome to run.

njoy it while it lasts. My eyes started to get worse at about 35, and now (at 39) I need glasses to be able to read my phone. I can still read the Tesla screen ok without glasses, but I am sure that will only last another year or two. When they start to go, they go fast.

Youth is wasted on the young.

You don't appreciate good eyesight until it's gone. Same with knees.

Some ppl are asking for a kernel upgrade! WTF? how will that change anything to you?...
For some of us, the hope is not about a better browser that I rarely use except when I'm bored at a SpC (need to keep my eyes on the road, right?), but that a kernel upgrade with perhaps tag-along open source library updates will help other pervasive problems some of us have encountered for a very long time: Odd CID reboots and hangs that are sometimes acknowledged by Tesla as an issue but have no resolution; Improved USB device error recovery to help eliminate the ongoing rescan issue and Tesla saying that USB devices should be unplugged before turning your MS on each time (which just isn't realistic for ANY modern device).

...I didn't know that contrast is such a problem for 40+years old. Im 30, so the screen to me looks perfect.
As others have said, you'll get there one day like many of us. ;) For me, the issue is simply poor UI design choices by Tesla in the 7.0+ releases (ever since the original UI lead left Tesla years ago)... e.g. there is no excuse for putting grey background bubbles around grey street name text that is only a couple points darker in color, as it makes the two blur together in certain light in both day and night mode, especially with smaller text you just want to see quickly with a glance. IMHO Tesla simply needs to get back onto UI design being a priority as they did before MS first hit the market -- not provide changes to data placement and design simply because Elon or some programmers think it's cool or because AP is the center of their universe. For me, 7.0+ that became available a couple weeks after I took delivery of my MS, was fun to get AP and a UI redesign delivered as my first over-the-air update, but it quickly became a major step backwards in my ability to comfortably see important information (like speed and idiot lights) and Nav data that were clearly there when I was deciding to purchase my Tesla and on the day of delivery.

Re vision: progressive lenses, which provide a smooth transition from "reading" to "distance" focal lengths, can be very helpful for driving a car with lots of need for visual dashboard interaction. Anti-reflective coatings can mitigate night driving problems like starbursts and coronas from headlights and streetlights.

Note: Those with political objections to progressive lenses may call them conservative lenses if they wish.

Drawing pad.

Did you see Elon's drawings?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Here's one of them (I edited it to fit better, but now too much white space...)

EMpicTeslaSketchPad.jpg

Last edited: