Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The blog post was about AP, not V8 in general. Classic Teslas wouldn't benefit of a single improvement that the blog / press qa was about. I think we have already confirmed that the music player will be changing in 8.0, so I wouldn't worry too much.

No 8.0 for Classic Teslas? :(

From the USA Today article: Tesla CEO Elon Musk announces Autopilot upgrades

"The new system will be beamed wireless to Tesla cars made in the last couple of years in the next two weeks, Musk said."

Guess it's time to trade up...

Gosh, I hope not. I guess they will eventually have to stop updating older cars (as Apple does with older phones), but I hope the product cycle window would be longer on a car.

Will be watching this closely as I am looking at buying a "classic". If updates are done and there is no more possibility of having the little bugs with NAV and media player, etc fixed then I will have to think long and hard about buying.

Could be. Actually, I think that is carefully worded to emphasize that Tesla will continue to be even more focused as the amount of technology and driver-dependence on those things increases. ...or at least that is the spin I'd put on the answer to your question if I were his Communications Lawyer/VP/Whatever. ;)
Oh yeah, it absolutely had spin on it because it was so vague but I took it as a nod that the NHTSA and NTSB maybe even Elon himself felt more testing should have been done before 7.0/7.1 was released. Maybe when the reports are issued we will find out.

Might the increased reliance on radar come from the termination of MobilEye's partnership with Tesla? Aren't the video camera and related processing system from MobilEye?

The hardware is from MobilEye. It's my understanding the software is all Tesla's. I think the increased reliance is born of necessity (how can we improve what we've already deployed) and ingenuity, not loss of partnership.

Reactions: RubberToe
Geen NAV update. Jammer!! Trouwens ook niets over de grootste UI update sinds V7.

Er komen veel meer veranderingen dan alleen AP. Vooral bij NAV en daarbinnen SuC info. Het wordt de grootste update die er ooit geweest is. Benieuwd naar de volledige releasenotes straks. Deze Q&A had alleen betrekking op het onderdeel AP en was behoorlijk veelbelovend.

Might the increased reliance on radar come from the termination of MobilEye's partnership with Tesla? Aren't the video camera and related processing system from MobilEye?
I'm no expert on this technically but I think the increased reliance on radar is due to the deficiency of the camera thus the breakup with MobilEye. It sounds sort of like a workaround until they develop the new hardware technology internally.

Tesla Autopilot 8.0 uses radar to prevent accidents like the fatal Model S crash.

Attachments

• CsGFU6UVUAAskx1.jpg large.jpg
    CsGFU6UVUAAskx1.jpg large.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I'm no expert on this technically but I think the increased reliance on radar is due to the deficiency of the camera thus the breakup with MobilEye. It sounds sort of like a workaround until they develop the new hardware technology internally.
Radar and camera see things differently. Not sure these things could have been accomplished with camera. I think this came from thinking outside the box on how to use radar, not deficiencies of camera.

Reactions: darthy001
  • Improved cut-in detection using blinker on vehicle ahead
I'm curious to see how that works. From the listed new non-safety features, this could become my favorite one in every-day AP driving.

Yeah, that should be interesting. In my experience, "1" isn't close enough to deter everyone, but is close enough to make it dangerous when they come in, so I have been setting it to "3" and just letting things happen even though it encourages and rewards idiots. It'll be interesting to see what the new firmware does.

Reactions: Nevek
Radar and camera see things differently. Not sure these things could have been accomplished with camera. I think this came from thinking outside the box on how to use radar, not deficiencies of camera.
Well Elon stated that their original thought process was that the camera would be primary and the sensors secondary. Reversing that thought process tells me this thinking didn't work thus the workaround or as you say thinking outside the box. They really have no choice from a financial standpoint and I suspect the regulators weren't giving them many options either.