Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL! That image is from an MCU on the bench, so it doesn't have a car to connect do anymore. The rest of the car was accidentally sent back to 1985. =)

So how exactly did this MCU on your bench end up with an EAP version of firmware?

I don't think you ended up with an MCU off an EAP car so that means you slipped the firmware onto your bench MCU.

It does explain why you posted pictures that showed the color, car type, and odometer when you've never posted that kind of identifying information before.

Thanks for awesome work.

Well if you're gonna go down that road, most owners don't read the forums or Elon's twitter, so they don't know an update is coming. Hard to be disappointed in an update that you didn't know was coming, because you have no expectations to be fulfilled.

On this observation, I would have to say that Trils0n is correct. I know about 12 Model S owners and I am the only one of them on TMC, perhaps two others have TMC accounts... but they are just not inclined or are too busy to forum-ize. So I would say that even though the Model S would appeal to the social media crowd, the actual owners (that I know) are not here and will probably be just as happy as clams with any new software that "Just Works". These folks want things that Just Works. And why shouldn't they?

For instance, I am here (sadly I know ;-)) but I do not TWITTER. Never have.

Reactions: Cyclone
So how exactly did this MCU on your bench end up with an EAP version of firmware?

I don't think you ended up with an MCU off an EAP car so that means you slipped the firmware onto your bench MCU.

It does explain why you posted pictures that showed the color, car type, and odometer when you've never posted that kind of identifying information before.

Thanks for awesome work.

Would imagine that EAP status is a switch that can be set in the car by someone with root access.

Would imagine that EAP status is a switch that can be set in the car by someone with root access.

It's not, unfortunately. Tesla's updates are currently still push only, where Tesla decides who gets what.

But since we're leaking 8.0 info, I'll express my dislike for it with one image:
apdisabled.png

no i think people want and demand better phone integration and infotainment systems in their cars today. you are talking about autopilot interface. i rarely use autopilot and i bet the majority of owners don't use it either. of course people on this forum do but this is just a small percentage of tesla owners here.
Sell your car. Enjoy a life without electric drivetrain, or buy schlumpy EV with limited range and or charging infrastructure that has no prospect of ever adding new features the day you drive off lot!

Regarding media, let's not forget tesla was first to be always connected with streaming. Most cars still do not. We have short memories and high expectations! Smartphone integration has only been widespread in cars for 2 years. My 2013 bmw has aux in phono plug. And it will never upgrade. The tesla will.

It's not, unfortunately. Tesla's updates are currently still push only, where Tesla decides who gets what.

But since we're leaking 8.0 info, I'll express my dislike for it with one image:
apdisabled.png

WK,
Have you tried communicating to Tesla just how difficult it is to reach the steering wheel from the back seat to drive manually? :p

RT

Thanks for awesome work.
Don't ask don't tell ;)

Ik heb mijn MS pas een week en kreeg gister de melding op mn Iphone dat de SW update niet goed is verlopen. Hoe werkt dit: snachts ? moet ie daarvoor aan de lader hangen ? wat als de Wifi niet werkt, pakt hij dan 4G?
Updates gaan eigenlijk in 2 stappen, downloaden en installeren. De eerste zie je eigenlijk niet gebeuren. Zodra de auto aangeeft dat een update kan worden geinstalleerd, is deze al binnen gehaald. Binnenhalen gebeurt bij mijn weten zowel op wifi als mobiel.

Don't ask don't tell ;)

Ok, I'll bite instead. From what we have gathered from other updates, a car will typically be given a delta change from the base firmware they have already. That delta is applied to become a full image, which then installs only the configuration of the car. If that is a valid understanding and works the same way for EAP builds, it should be possible to extract the EAP firmware from one car, stick it in as a staged install on a bench setup, and install the EAP version.

But I'm just guessing here.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Ok, I'll bite instead. From what we have gathered from other updates, a car will typically be given a delta change from the base firmware they have already. That delta is applied to become a full image, which then installs only the configuration of the car. If that is a valid understanding and works the same way for EAP builds, it should be possible to extract the EAP firmware from one car, stick it in as a staged install on a bench setup, and install the EAP version.

But I'm just guessing here.
I think that's exactly right based on my understanding of what wk057 said.