Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only gripe so far is they removed the ability to choose what you right scroll wheel does. I had it set to change the media. I would use it constantly to switch between XM, TuneIn, and Slacker. Now I have no ability to do that from the steering wheel. Scrolling the right wheel only allows you to switch between sunroof, temperature. However, I may have missed something. So if someone on here knows how to change it back, I would appreciate it.

Anyone else confirm this? I use the right wheel for everything, nearly every day, from sunroof, to fan speed to temp and media source. That will be a significant downgrade if they removed that functionality.

Reactions: Tree95
Answered on Youtube, but for the group on here:

Total bummer they dont include USB in the search results, my guess is that its much quicker to make a OTA query to the media services than it is to search locally on a USB drive, again just my guess. If they were to include a 256GB drive the search would lag trying to index and crawl that drive presumably??

When the scan the USB so they can send off for folder art, they should send up the meta data tags for the tracks and index them tied to your car. They can then search your music, slacker, and whatever other OTT sources there are and include all the results together prioritizing local music first.

New AP seems to move left a bit to maintain some distance. Haven't tried this on the right lane with someone on my left.

Can anyone else confirm this? This is the number one thing that causes me to engage AP because I won't let the car slowly pass another car on my side without moving to the side of the lane to put distance between me and the car on the side. If I'm passing between two cars, I keep it centered unless one of the cars is hugging their side of the lane closest to me. i.e. I pass between two cars centering myself between them and not the lanes...as long as I don't go outside my lane. It would be cool if AP drove this way too.

On the voice calling, it says if there's only one number, calling will begin immediately. But who has just one number? Most of my contacts have multiple phone numbers.

On my android, if I say "call <name>", it was call the number that is selected as the default for the contact without asking me to choose. I can override this by saying "call <name> mobile", or "call <name> work" and calling will go through without asking me to choose.

Somebody please check and say that 8.0 does at least this???

Hey Everyone, long time lurker but now have some time to actually get on here, got 8.0 posted a video of the media player posted at the bottom of this post, I have some other videos I made early this morning but will post them later when Im out of work. In the meantime see below.

Its definitely a step back in terms of ease of use and quick access to things, you need to tap the map to see the control bar, but it only happens for the map. Other apps have the control bar in full view at all times.

Didnt see anything about off ramps in the notes, but could have missed it. I will try it later today and report back.

Nothing in the notes about Waypoints or how to set them, but there is a new view for "legs/segments" of a trip that allows you to see individual legs/segments versus the entire route, this was done automatically prior to 8.0 this gives you the option to choose the view.

See my video below, no Apple Carplay or Android Auto, but just an updated in-house media app. USB navigation has been updated for the better except the removal of browsing by name via the alphabet scroller on the side, now you need to scroll and scroll and scroll to get through the list.

youtube.com/watch?v=UjMn_7VSePU
Great video. Silly question, does Search work for USB media?

:D ...so interesting. Just 9 installations of 8.0 thus far according to the tracker, and so many questions about how things operate, if people's wish list items have been addressed, and acknowledged bugs have been resolved. Lots of anxious folks (including me, but I'm trying to contain myself!)
This is an interesting read. The link was just tweeted out by Elon.
Tesla Drivers Wake Up to a Serious Upgrade

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and NikeWings
Thanks again for your review video.

Deal killer for me. I have nearly a thousand albums and artists. Astonishing that they're still not including USB content in the search as it would 1) reduce their reliance on Slacker, 2) give you guaranteed play by song in voice search if you have the song locally, 3) reduce their data usage on AT&T(which Tesla pays for) 4) provide a more convenient way to search for and select your local music. The jump by letter was the only way to navigate large lists of local music since search wouldn't include USB media. Now they've taken that away and we have no way to navigate except manually scrolling through long long lists :( Any chance they're at least now using the local folder art? Half the images are the wrong ones for the albums I have because wherever they download them from doesn't have the correct image. If they just simply used the folder art in the actual folder on the USB drive like every other MP3 player on the face of the earth, the artwork would be correct, immediate, and it would reduce data usage on AT&T's network.

200GB+ of USB media / 4 logical drives on 1 SSD presented as USB1-4 on the media player. If you are saying that in order to find music, I need to scroll down through 1000 artists without even a Letter shortcut, I'm pretty angry. And I feel your pain.

In addition, they still need to enable hot-linking of Artist / Album / Title in USB playing as well so that you can click the Artist or Album in Now Playing screen to cue a matching result as the next song. They could extend this to internet radio as well if you wanted to hear a song by the same artist, clicking the artist name would be shortcut to performing a whole new audio search.

When the scan the USB so they can send off for folder art, they should send up the meta data tags for the tracks and index them tied to your car. They can then search your music, slacker, and whatever other OTT sources there are and include all the results together prioritizing local music first.
Yes, they scan and index USB media on insertion. There is now reason you couldn't quickly search that.

The 2 things I want to test most are the AP lane centering sensitivity which is referenced, and off ramping which is not. I suppose thats not a good sign. I can't wait to check it all out, whatever we've got!

Well, one person said it didn't work. Who knows, maybe only certain areas currently have the GPS data / tiles for doing offramp exits. Maybe you'll be the lucky one to try it out first!

Reactions: NikeWings
The 2 things I want to test most are the AP lane centering sensitivity which is referenced, and off ramping which is not. I suppose thats not a good sign. I can't wait to check it all out, whatever we've got!

EDIT - I'm not a pessimist at all, but is this release truly considered a "serious upgrade". Seems like lots of tweaks, fixes and a couple of cow bells and dog whistles. I need to reset my hype meter.

Reactions: Boatguy
Great video. Silly question, does Search work for USB media?

Yes, they scan and index USB media on insertion. There is now reason you couldn't quickly search that.

No search for USB at the moment. I thought that they index the USB drive when inserted or when car is powered on, which is why it takes time to see all of your content in USB view. However, I wouldn't put it past Tesla to get a quick win if they had the opportunity so if they could easily search the USB it would be there.

My guess is that the search along with the voice command is a online query that triggers the online services, thats why you cannot use Voice Command when there is no LTE signal, I confirmed this by trying to search while in my jobs underground parking garage and search nor voice commands work when no signal is present. If they could just search online first and then have USB be a secondary query that could run once the online results are presented I think it would be easier to integrate, so search show all of the online results and then when you press the USB filter in the search list it would initiate a search for USB content, it wouldn't be elegant but its maybe something they could do quicker in the interim.

Yep and I also am looking forward to the car not making me always be centered in the lane. Along with all the positive features, the author gave a thumbs down to the Navigation yet Elon still retweeted it. That tells me a) he's definitely aware of it's deficiencies b) open forwardin fair reviews even if they are only 90% flattering. Kudos to Elon for that. Now fix the damn Nav system in 8.1 :).

Reactions: BrianD