Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After going through detailed screen shots of the release, I'm somewhat disappointed that scheduled charging hasn't been improved.

1) No ability to target end time so that charging starts when needed in order to finish charging at the time you select (when rates transistion to off peak) so that you stay within the TOU range but charge as late as possible so the battery is as warm as possible.

2) No TOU scheduling for weekday, weekends, and holidays.

Even the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt can do this with many many detailed options.

Well, one person said it didn't work. Who knows, maybe only certain areas currently have the GPS data / tiles for doing offramp exits. Maybe you'll be the lucky one to try it out first!
Offramp works for me about 80% of the time on the Beta. I signal well in advance and it seems to get it more often. Sometimes it tries then throws in the towel.

Yep and I also am looking forward to the car not making me always be centered in the lane. Along with all the positive features, the author gave a thumbs down to the Navigation yet Elon still retweeted it. That tells me a) he's definitely aware of it's deficiencies b) open forwardin fair reviews even if they are only 90% flattering. Kudos to Elon for that. Now fix the damn Nav system in 8.1 :).
By fix, do you mean WE NEED WAYPOINTS?

Reactions: Thinkje
By fix, do you mean WE NEED WAYPOINTS?
;) Yeah, that too but I don't have the update yet so I'm relying on what others say it has and doesn't have. The Bloomberg review just tweeted by Elon is very fair and he describes the same issue I have with it but on 8.0. It's inaccurate and plans a wrong or strange route often. In his case it had him taking side streets from Brooklyn to Manhattan and gave an estimate of 20 minutes when the actual time would have been over an hour in traffic. Like me he is forced to use his phone app to get good directions rather than use Tesla Nav.

Last edited:
Reactions: supratachophobia
Moet zeggen dat ik niet veel heb gemerkt dat het zich veel anders, zeg strenger gedraagd dan voorheen. Wat wel echt anders is dat rechts inhalen niet meer gebeurd. tenzij het een file situatie is. Ook de weergave van de auto's voor je is ook beter. Alles wordt beter vanaf het juiste perspectief getoond.

Verder ben ik erg tevreden over de media player. Mijn spotify bug is eindelijk weg! Het ziet erg fris uit en veel overzichtelijker.

My guess is that the search along with the voice command is a online query that triggers the online services, thats why you cannot use Voice Command when there is no LTE signal, I confirmed this by trying to search while in my jobs underground parking garage and search nor voice commands work when no signal is present. If they could just search online first and then have USB be a secondary query that could run once the online results are presented I think it would be easier to integrate, so search show all of the online results and then when you press the USB filter in the search list it would initiate a search for USB content, it wouldn't be elegant but its maybe something they could do quicker in the interim.

keep in mind that voice search first speech to texts your voice via the service and then sends that back to the search box. If you type it in manually, you bypass this step but the search is still made from the text entered into the search box regardless of whether it was by voice or by hand.

;) Yeah, that too but I don't have the update yet so I'm relying on what others say it has and doesn't have. The Bloomberg review just tweeted by Elon is very fair and he describes the same issue I have with it but on 8.0. It's inaccurate and plans a wrong or strange route often. In his case it had him taking side streets from Brooklyn to Manhattan and gave an estimate of 20 minutes. Like me he is forced to use his phone app to get good directions rather than use Tesla Nav.
Do we know if the reason for the odd routing is based on just amount of energy consumed? Because that would make sense to me. I think there will need to be at least two route options in the future (quickest, least energy, then maybe least miles/freedom units), but I understand doing it that way for an electric car.

EDIT - I'm not a pessimist at all, but is this release truly considered a "serious upgrade". Seems like lots of tweaks, fixes and a couple of cow bells and dog whistles. I need to reset my hype meter.
I'm trying hard to not form my own opinion of 8.0 until I can use it myself. Even with well meaning posters, IMHO there are many things which are subjective -- especially when it comes to human interfaces, and honestly each of us have different features or expectations that are important or bug us more than others. Such is ergonomics and dealing with a growing populous of owners and prospective buyers, and top that off with most of us being outspoken enthusiasts, many who have owned other EV and non-EV luxury vehicles.

...all that to say, I think most of us know by now that Elon is a master of creating excitement and use of media. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate getting effectively a new car with new functionality for free like we will soon have with 8.0. THAT Is fabulous. My concern remains sort of along the lines of your comment "tweaks, fixes and a couple of cowbells and dog whistles", that Elon and Tesla have delivered another step of AP enhancements as we expect will keep coming towards THE vision, but many of the other changes are based on their perception of what customers want or need, vs. the reality of what customers are truly asking for, and in some cases what the competition already delivers. E.g. I've not yet correlated the top recommendations from the nearly 300 TMC members requirements prioritization work we did last Fall and was delivered to a secret connected executive somewhere inside of Tesla, or against the list of missing Infotainment functions in comparative luxury vehicles I put together earlier this year. My first impression from release notes, and posts from the few that have the new drop is any correlation is coincidence. The best example remains with the #1 requested feature: "Where are Waypoints?" ...but once I get 8.0 and have some time with it, watch out, another of my long bulletized posts will be on the way when I've spent some time correlating facts and putting my thoughts together. ;). Hopefully I get 8.0 before I leave for my short road trip next week!

After going through detailed screen shots of the release, I'm somewhat disappointed that scheduled charging hasn't been improved.

1) No ability to target end time so that charging starts when needed in order to finish charging at the time you select (when rates transistion to off peak) so that you stay within the TOU range but charge as late as possible so the battery is as warm as possible.

2) No TOU scheduling for weekday, weekends, and holidays.

Even the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt can do this with many many detailed options.

Brief digression...

The BMW 330e Performance has a target end time, and there are a bunch of initially-great-looking options, but they don't quite all work together. It only has end-time scheduling (as well as "charge right now"), and there's an odd interaction between "departure time" and the low-electricity-rate part of the day. There's no quick way to override the end-time scheduling (as in "I just plugged in, start charging now") without changing charging settings. There are no settings to dial-down the current draw from a L2 charger, and there's no concept of different charging settings based on position. Finally when you plug the car in, it seems to sample the current from the charger (I guess to figure out the charging rate?), which for the longest time had me convinced there was something wrong with the charging algorithm. At least for me, BMW's charging workflow is worse than Tesla's.

Weirdly, having a BMW and a Tesla in the garage seems to work pretty well...the Tesla charges at the start of off-peak and the BMW charges at the end, so we never have both cars charging at the same time.

Back to your regularly scheduled 8.0 discussions...

Bruce.

Do we know if the reason for the odd routing is based on just amount of energy consumed? Because that would make sense to me. I think there will need to be at least two route options in the future (quickest, least energy, then maybe least miles/freedom units), but I understand doing it that way for an electric car.
I understand what you're saying and agree that route choices would be awesome but what it's doing many times is routing a farther, more time consuming and less energy efficient path.

Reactions: Sather
My car got an update notification this morning at about 7AM while parked at the service center. Whether it happened because it's there or would have happened anyway, I can't say. And I'm not 100% sure that it's 8.0 yet, although I already got the fake-out security update and I don't see what else it could be.