Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'll post some initial 8.0 impressions:

• Biggest practical improvement is that TACC's adjustments feel a lot more human-like, with more anticipation and smoother brake ramping. Definitely noticeable when approaching stopped traffic or when the car in front slows down rapidly. Before, your car would gently slow down, and then at some point have an "oh crap" moment and slam on the brakes much harder. Now, it converges to the appropriate level of braking a lot quicker.
  • I had the one-car-ahead slowdown sensing actually work in practice today! Following a car at 65 approaching standstill traffic. A car up in front must've started slowing down first, as my car backed off maybe 5 car distances from the lead car. This is much more similar to how a normal human driver would react when approaching a heavy traffic jam.
  • As far as seeing cars in front, it does seem to work, but it requires both cars to be moving and for there to be a slight speed differential between the two cars in front. But if you think about it, that's really the situation where it matters. Seeing ahead only matters if the 2nd car in front is going MUCH slower than the car you're following.
  • Cut-in and cut-out behavior is indeed much less retarded compared to v7.1. As a car starts to cut out of your lane, the screen clearly shows the next car in front, and your car is less likely to lunch towards a stopped car only to slam on the brakes shortly after.
  • In general the screen shows many more cars being tracked, both in your lane and in neighboring lanes. They draw and update a lot quicker.
  • As others have mentioned, Autosteer is less wobbly on roads with poorer lane marking. It seems less prone to rapidly oscillating/bouncing between rapidly changing lane detections.

As a general tip: The different brake ramping and the more anticipatory braking behaviors might mean you need to find a favorite following distance again (e.g. I've found that in heavy traffic, 1 and 2 are more usable without giving me a heart attack, and sometimes 3 might leave unnaturally wide gaps when traffic starts slowing)

Overall, it's a pretty substantial improvement to Autopilot. It now can even pilot down city streets with reasonable smoothness, which is the ultimate stress test of TACC accelerator/brake ramping.

Stopped car recognition seems to only be for the immediate car in front of you, and seems on par with later versions of 8.0. The car-in-front and "UFO landing" braking seems to be off for now (I presume while the fleet learns)

Stopped car recognition seems to only be for the immediate car in front of you, and seems on par with later versions of 8.0. The car-in-front and "UFO landing" braking seems to be off for now (I presume while the fleet learns)

The reslease notes seem to imply that it'll stay off until another update goes out, either a later 8.0 or 8.1. (I had been expecting it to be this software, just after a certain number of trips on a road.)

What is the wording that makes you think a new version is necessary?

Here's the release notes the first time the forum saw them:

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

And this is what makes me rethink my initial assumption that it would be this software:

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 4.54.40 PM.png

That "in future releases" language seems pretty unambiguous, though unexpected.

Thanks chillaba. When TACC on, does the car automatically change speed accordingly to speed limit signs or you still change it manually? Does the car automatic stop or at least disengage TACC at stop or yield signs? Thanks again.
No stop or yield sign or traffic light support, just like before.

The car will automatically switch speeds like before if you engage TACC based off your speed limit. If you manually adjusted afterwards it will lock at that speed. No change in 8.0

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
I haven't noticed someone mention this yet, my apologies if it is a repeat.
It looks as if exiting AP while still in TACC is more "predictable" now, especially when combined with the 5mph limit on certain streets.

Before the update, the AP would limit my speed, but as soon as I disengaged AP I would go back up to my set speed. Now, even if you disengage AP, you stay at the speed AP set you to, instead of what you set TACC speed to.

Example:
I'm driving in a 50 zone, and I set my speed to 60. Because of the type of street, AP locks me in at 55.

Before the update, if I cancelled AP, the car would shoot up to 60. After the update, the car will stay at 55, and I need to change TACC if I want to go back to 60.

I suspect there will be arguments on both sides about whether or not this was an improvement, but for me personally this is an improvement. There have been too many times that I was "surprised" at the speed the car started going when I disengaged AP.

To the moderators:

I just noticed that a thread in Dutch about Firmware 8.0 from the Belgium and the Netherlands subforum got merged with this main thread in English about 8.0.

This however seems unwarranted to me in this case, as we were having discussions in Dutch about the firmware which not only will not be understood by many other members but has also completely broken our conversations.

While I understand why (to curb the flurry of FW8.0 threads) and possibly how this was done, I would like to ask for the thread to be split out again if possible.

Greetings, Ivo Grijt.

Correct, how come our Dutch thread about firmware 8.0 is hijacked by the US ? :D

RE: geofencing

No luck for me. It's possible they've disabled geofencing -- or it still works, but they are controlling the release by VIN, so geofencing still works, but there is no update pending for your car. Could be either. I suspect that the car will check the mother ship for a download periodically, or when you enter the geofenced area, but I don't think Tesla has entered a wide-scale rollout yet, so your VIN likely doesn't have a new firmware waiting yet. In other words, both bits have to be set to get it.

Anecdotally, this morning I had to take care of some business at the local service center, so I stopped by. As soon as I arrived, I put my car manually on the Tesla Service wifi network. It was on that network for 30 minutes or so and then I left. No update has triggered in 7 hours while being on Wifi at home.