Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to pick a fight, but I saw posts that said "they have ignored nav and they have ignored the MP" before it was even released and those posts were not remotely correct. From what I can see in the various videos and descriptions, Nav and MP are much improved. Some of the same issues remain of course (routing for example) or maybe have devolved (USB?) but there are always tradeoffs/differences of opinion about what or is what not important....but I will withhold judgment until I can play with them all for a while.
Sadly it turns those reports about Nav and MP were right on point. The problems with Nav are deep. Incorrect turn by turn, no choice of routing, no way points and on and on and the reports on this forum are that it's not fixed in 8.0. Elon tweeted a review of 8.0 from Bloomberg that basically said love AP, MP is confusing and the writer was incredulous that Tesla didn't fix Nav. He even gave some examples to prove it. I see lots of reports here on the new MP and they're pretty critical.
I don't blame you for not seeing the current issues with Nav because you just got your car but trust me, you will see what I mean and switch to your phone for directions eventually. This problem is now 3 or 4 years old. Agree with you about the degree of criticism is based on whats important and for me Nav is an essential driving tool and I've lost patience and confidence that they know how to fix it. If Climate Control and AP are your top priority and you don't care about infotainment or Nav sounds like you'll be happy.

Last edited:
I would like to know if one can print out the 8.0 release notes, perhaps to a PDF file.
I would like to be able to annotate, underline or highlite areas that I consider to be important. Preferably on my iPad while lying in bed!

Just click on the images posted above for a larger view and save to a PDF :cool:
Here are some of the details released by Tesla: Tesla v8.0 software update is being pushed right now, all the details and full release notes

Software update 8.0 kicks off a significant over-the-air overhaul of the Tesla touchscreen and introduces the biggest UI revamp since the launch of Model S. Customers who purchased their car in 2012 will receive the same value of functionality and improvement as customers who purchased vehicles last month. 8.0 combines a modern look with updates to Autopilot, Navigation with Trip Planner, Maps, and the Media Player for a safer, more advanced driving experience. In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protection, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature, even when the car is off, and is made possible by our uniquely large battery packs.

Intuitive media player
The media player has been redesigned and personalized to put your favorite content front and center. Search is now simpler to access and more powerful, accessing streaming radio, live stations, podcasts, and any USB device to help you quickly find what they’re looking for.

Voice commands
Voice controls are now easier and clearer to use. Initiation is quick, and clear visual feedback lets you focus on the road without compromising convenience or control.
  • Voice commands initiate with a single tap
  • Feedback in the form of a transcript now appears on the instrument panel to confirm your command
  • Visual tips remind you what commands are available
Maps and navigation
Maps have been updated to span the entire touchscreen, displaying the most important details of your trip. The control bar fades automatically for an uncluttered navigation experience.
  • Search for destinations with a single touch or voice command
  • Zoom adjusts based on location to display what you need to see most
  • Navigate to home or work with a single swipe.
  • When at home, swipe the navigation button down in the Maps app and navigation will automatically route you to work. When away from home, swipe down and navigation will route back.
Cabin Overheat Protection
In an industry-first safety measure, we’re also introducing Cabin Overheat Protect, focused on child (and pet) safety. This feature keeps the car at a safe temperature for hours, even when the car is off. This feature is only made possible by an electric vehicle with Tesla’s uniquely large battery packs.

Trip Planner
Trip Planner provides a clear overview of your journey before you leave, with maps that zoom out to show your entire route. Putting your Tesla into Drive automatically starts navigation to your first waypoint.

Autopilot Enhancements
Advancements in signal processing use the Tesla’s onboard radar to persistently capture snapshots of its surroundings, creating a 3D picture of the world. Learn more about seeing the world in radar. Displays now show angled vehicles as they enter a curve and the Autosteer indicator has been updated to more clearly indicate when Autosteer is engaged. We won’t list all 200 improvements to Autopilot in 8.0, but here are a few additions:
  • Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
  • Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
  • Autosteer now navigates highway interchanges
  • Redesigned Autopilot indicators
  • Curve speed adaptation now uses fleet-learned roadway curvature
  • Autopilot now controls for two cars ahead improving reaction time to otherwise-invisible heavy braking events
  • Car offsets in lane when overtaking a slower vehicle driving close to its lane edge

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHutch
I would like to know if one can print out the 8.0 release notes, perhaps to a PDF file.

I would like to be able to annotate, underline or highlite areas that I consider to be important.

Preferably on my iPad while lying in bed!
Not until Tesla puts the PDF on their site. These are car only screenshots your looking at. It usually takes them a few weeks to put them up.

From http://ev-fw.com/, it appears that about 10% of those participating in the tracker (for V 7.1) have gotten 8.0 so far. Elon cautioned that the roll-out would be gradual to catch regressions early—"so many configurations, so many environments"— so I do not think any of this is surprising.

Apparently, there were already enough issues to prompt a second build (.108), so we shall see...

Not everybody that got 106 reported getting 108. Therefore doesn't appear to be an emergency regression fix.

Not everybody that got 106 reported getting 108. Therefore doesn't appear to be an emergency regression fix.
Here's the latest from TeslaFi on 108. Only two people still have 106. 66 have 108.

Version 2.36.108 Detail

Model Vin Odometer State Location
SP90D 123XXX 13,348 Mn America
SP90D 096XXX 9,406 Florida America
SP85D 129XXX 6,183 Maryland America
SP85D 085XXX 18,147 California America
SP85D 127XXX 7,573 CA America
SP85D 062XXX 24,261 CA America
SP85 063XXX 18,309 California America
SP85 020XXX 18,241 HI Pacific
SP85 013XXX 57,569 CA America
SP85 009XXX 38,825 CA America
S90D 112XXX 15,601 California America
S90D 133XXX 12,602 Washington America
S90D 128XXX 10,552 Mo America
S90D 114XXX 11,540 America
S90D 122XXX 15,101 NJ America
S85D 074XXX 16,087 CA America
S85D 099XXX 8,180 FL America
S85D 071XXX 21,115 CO America
S85D 082XXX 16,052 Washington America
S85D 087XXX 13,542 WA America
S85D 124XXX 4,169 GA America
S85D 155XXX 1,908 nh America
S85D 080XXX 16,872 WA - Washington America
S85D 119XXX 16,230 FL America
S85 056XXX 25,906 VA America
S85 078XXX 23,038 Florida America
S85 013XXX 45,731 va America
S85 073XXX 32,042 AZ America
S70D 120XXX 15,468 CA America
S70D 137XXX 8,982 MN America
S70D 129XXX 5,804 Connecticut America
S70D 142XXX 3,648 CA America
S70D 144XXX 3,270 CA America
S70D 116XXX 15,393 TX America
S70D 084XXX 30,419 FL America
S70D 120XXX 6,851 NC America
S70D 139XXX 5,623 NJ America
S70D 146XXX 3,110 WA America
S70D 118XXX 8,548 Massachusetts America
S70D 138XXX 5,173 California America
S70D 142XXX 7,985 VA America
S70D 116XXX 11,316 CA America
S70 147XXX 1,977 Texas America
S70 105XXX 11,732 Tennessee America
S70 138XXX 7,362 VA America
S60D 149XXX 2,154 MA America
S60D 149XXX 3,793 Pennsylvania America
S60D 155XXX 159 TX America
S60D 158XXX 959 MN America
S60D 150XXX 1,386 CA America
S60D 155XXX 423 Indiana America
S60D 153XXX 2,158 tx America
S60D 150XXX 1,610 NJ America
S60D 147XXX 7,967 CO America
S60 148XXX 1,915 FL America
S60 154XXX 688 Florida America
S60 152XXX 1,549 TX America
S60 147XXX 4,828 CA - California America
S60 153XXX 1,824 TX-Texas America
S60 077XXX 19,566 PA America
S60 147XXX 4,315 MA America
S60 004XXX 54,797 Maryland America
S60 148XXX 2,283 NC America
S60 148XXX 4,070 NY America
S60 147XXX 6,685 wa America
S40 010XXX 36,074 HI Pacific

This thread is a wonderful mix of people irritated they haven't received the update and people irritated that they did.

I really prefer the method Apple now uses. Where for the initial role out you really have to request it.

You hit request and then it downloads it shortly after. So if you don't want it immediately you just don't request it.

That way it also prevents people from wasting their time by going to a SC to try the geofence trick which supposedly doesn't even work anymore.

How is blind spot detection? Detection or recognition of bicyclists?

Still waiting here for update.

blindspot detection will always be horrible because the hardware. There is no magical trick that anyone can do to get an ultrasonic sensor to detect something outside of it's detection zone.

Bicyclists I'm curious about because its been claimed that it now shows bicycles now as motorbikes. But, I don't know how large the detection angle is. I do have 8.0, but I haven't encountered a cyclist yet.

So far I like 8.0, but I do acknowledge that if someone is an old fart with MP3's you'll likely have a bone to pick with Tesla. I only keep a USB drive in the car with enough MP3's to get me through dead zones in cell connectivity so I haven't encountered any issues with it. To get all my MP3's I'd have to go back to a directory from 10 years ago on my computer. I'm not sure I could handle the time jump.

Reactions: supratachophobia
That way it also prevents people from wasting their time by going to a SC to try the geofence trick which supposedly doesn't even work anymore.
I had to stop the Highland Park, IL service center this morning for something else. 5 hours later and still nothing. The rep said they are delivering new cars without the 8.0 update, they can't even push it. I saw two people getting deliveries while I was there. I looked into one and it was running 7.

Last edited:
I really prefer the method Apple now uses. Where for the initial role out you really have to request it.
You hit request and then it downloads it shortly after. So if you don't want it immediately you just don't request it.

My experience is different. The Service Center geofence download still works :cool:

That's who he meant when he said resident bench testers.

Edit: I see @BertL responded for himself, apologies for the redundancy.

Haha, I really wish the people in these forums would get a life so I could have the measly 2 minutes or so it gives me to edit a comment to make it more refined.

Couldn't he have taken like a bathroom break when I commented?

blindspot detection will always be horrible because the hardware. There is no magical trick that anyone can do to get an ultrasonic sensor to detect something outside of it's detection zone.

Bicyclists I'm curious about because its been claimed that it now shows bicycles now as motorbikes. But, I don't know how large the detection angle is. I do have 8.0, but I haven't encountered a cyclist yet.

So far I like 8.0, but I do acknowledge that if someone is an old fart with MP3's you'll likely have a bone to pick with Tesla. I only keep a USB drive in the car with enough MP3's to get me through dead zones in cell connectivity so I haven't encountered any issues with it. To get all my MP3's I'd have to go back to a directory from 10 years ago on my computer. I'm not sure I could handle the time jump.
A recent Bosch video with superimposed point cloud on a test track showed significant density along the sides of the car.