Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think 8.0 (in some form) is also a merged codebase with the software for the 3? Obviously the aspect ratio of the actual display is different but I wonder if what we saw during the 3 reveal on screen is a hint towards the overall direction of the 8.0 release (from a look and feel standpoint). Might be 9.0 for the 3 though.
One would think (some) modules of code could/should be reusable, even if the interface is a bit different. That seems to have been the case with MX, so it stands to reason it would hold for M3. A number of us have been on the point in other threads for months -- even before M3 was previewed -- that resolving some of the long standing bugs and bringing Infotainment up-to-date functionality-wise would not only benefit the existing fleet, but likely the future fleet as well.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Do you think 8.0 (in some form) is also a merged codebase with the software for the 3? Obviously the aspect ratio of the actual display is different but I wonder if what we saw during the 3 reveal on screen is a hint towards the overall direction of the 8.0 release (from a look and feel standpoint). Might be 9.0 for the 3 though.

At the unveiling, the interface on the 3 didn't look like much. It looked like a preliminary start that the devs threw together. We were basically told as such. Nothing had been really styled yet.

Could we maybe have browser ability to configure a car in the Design Studio? No? How about a retrofittable chipset? :). Still no? Well, sheesh.

How about traffic light and stop sign reaction (not to be confused with recognition)? For those unaware, Elon noted that this would be available within the year about six months ago.

Round trip routing?
Waze-like options?
More realistic Trip Planning estimates that won't leave us stranded across countless legs?
More intelligent climate control?

Hey, a guy can dream.

• Funny
Could we maybe have browser ability to configure a car in the Design Studio? No? How about a retrofittable chipset? :). Still no? Well, sheesh.

How about traffic light and stop sign reaction (not to be confused with recognition)? For those unaware, Elon noted that this would be available within the year about six months ago.

Round trip routing?
Waze-like options?
More realistic Trip Planning estimates that won't leave us stranded across countless legs?
More intelligent climate control?

Hey, a guy can dream.
its possible version 8 might have an updated browser

Reactions: TaoJones
Based on the damage they did going from 6 to 7, I don't have my hopes up. In fact, I expect it to get worse.
:) ...and we can start a whole new round of owners that refuse to upgrade and continually cite their reasons for doing so across multiple threads here on TMC, and ultimately become part of my "ignore" population when I've had enough of their repetitive comments which provide no new content or thought -- no different than I'm sure some people are with me expousing about Tesla's need to resolve early S90D Rated Range problems, acknowledged firmware bugs, and catching Infotainment functionality up to what other luxury brands have had for years. Ahahahaha...

Me? I'll upgrade when the new firmware becomes available, just as I have with every other drop I've been provided. It's part of the "good with potential bad" I knew I'd be getting into before I ordered my MS.

I'm fairly confident that this isn't coming.

Totally off-topic, but I suddenly realize that I can't pronounce your user name. Eclipse is probably intended, but if I try to pronounce eclipxe I mega-fail every time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this release after the longest software functionality dry-spell in Model S history! :).

its possible version 8 might have an updated browser

I hope this is the case. The current web browser is using WebKit v534.x.x as the rendering engine, which is approximately equivalent to Safari 5.1. This browser/engine was released in mid to late 2011, does not support several HTML5 and CSS3 constructs, and has known security vulnerabilities.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Totally off-topic, but I suddenly realize that I can't pronounce your user name. Eclipse is probably intended, but if I try to pronounce eclipxe I mega-fail every time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this release after the longest software functionality dry-spell in Model S history! :).

Happens a lot. Eclipse is the right way to think of it

Obviously stop signs, ramps and traffic lights are high on the list. But a note feature to report when something was incorrect or missing, like waze. For instance, someone stole the 65mph sign on this off highway, so autopilot limits speed to 40 when it's actually 65. And the graffiti covering signs. Tesla could probably make money selling real time pothole, road snow/ice condition, and paint degradation data to municipalities. That would save the cities a ton of money doing surveys themselves. Google maps is often wrong in my area, so it tells you to go the wrong way on a one way street, etc.

Since the OS is Linux based, they should be able to update the Hi-Fi Package with additional freeware audio plugins. Equalizer, surround expander, reverb effects, etc. many customers complain about the limited equalizer and Dolby option. Freeware widgets, like clocks, weather, tesla stock price! They could probably leave out the real time car depreciation widget.

The WebKit, has been optimized for low power chips in newer versions, voice control is open source. For those of us with dash cams, a USB save to feature for the internal camera and car data that Tesla uses as evidence in court cases would be awesome and super simple. Save to internal SD and the USB chip.

Well I'm hoping for phone mirroring though I understand your skepticism, to me its not a rumor when Elon directly mentions it, id say that adds some validity to it...

I'm hoping for it also. I don't think it is a rumor. I think the hardware is currently not capable of supporting mirroring. I've shipped wifi display senders and receivers. Mirroring is very very difficult. Especially on old hardware and especially when you don't control both ends I think with a hardware upgrade we might see it, but the current hardware is really really behind.

• Helpful