Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would the hardware require an upgrade for mirroring? That is simply an application on the system in the car and USB communication to display the screen, any computer can do it. Carplay and android auto are different stories as they require encryption a number of things from both manufacturers to allow those to be enabled. Hard to say if/when those will be coming as Tesla has said nothing about it.

There is also the possibility of having an application on the device which allows for specific application interaction via the screen. Might be tricky as google and apple do lock down apps from interacting, but... maybe.

Why would the hardware require an upgrade for mirroring? That is simply an application on the system in the car and USB communication to display the screen, any computer can do it. Carplay and android auto are different stories as they require encryption a number of things from both manufacturers to allow those to be enabled. Hard to say if/when those will be coming as Tesla has said nothing about it.

There is also the possibility of having an application on the device which allows for specific application interaction via the screen. Might be tricky as google and apple do lock down apps from interacting, but... maybe.
I don't think the USB spec in our cars would work for mirroring. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are a number of different ways, all within the current spec. Could be airplay via an application and a virtual network on the USB (not so useful except for music), or a developer screen sharing application which does a direct re-display of the device. Useless for video of course, and there are issues with the various resolution/dpi conversions but the connection is not the limiting factor. Just software to take advantage of it.

In most jurisdictions, playing video and/or letting the driver do some complex tasks while driving is illegal. Manufacturers can't just implement mirroring because it won't pass type approval, I guess. That's why Android Auto and CarPlay come into play. They have way simpler user interface than smartphones.
Right. Many (most?) jurisdictions in the US make it illegal to have video playing anywhere the driver can see. Whether that's in the dash or on a laptop, it's treated the same. Raw mirroring will not happen. And the US is pretty lax, I suspect it's not legal in much of Europe, either.

So assume they come up with a way to filter out video. I'm not sure that's technically possible, at least on iOS, but I'd argue that mirroring is essentially worthless at that point. If you need to touch your phone to work it, why bother mirroring it to the display?

Either we'll get basic wired smartphone integration like most other vehicles, or we'll get Android Auto/CarPlay. For the latter case, both work over plain USB2 and support Ubuntu (Tesla runs a modified flavor of Ubuntu).

On one hand, video would be cool, but especially with the recent tragedy, I don't suspect Tesla will enable video unless perhaps only when parked... While it would be great for passengers, there is nothing to stop the driver from also watching on the CID (which is tilted towards the driver) when they should be watching the road, and if I were Elon or any Tesla Exec, given our lawsuit-happy society, I'd never put the company in such a position of being first.
I'd argue that given the recent accident involving the DVD player, this is why it doesn't matter if video is being played because drivers can do it already anyways. Perhaps they could put a disclaimer when screen mirroring is used and the car is in motion, but there is already a web browser after all. The web can be pretty interactive giving you content to browse and read.
Not coming. If any mirroring comes it will be Android. Unlikely for any mirroring to come on current MCU. Need hardware upgrade IMHO
If you watched the linked video from before, this has been considered by the Tesla team and is not a significant problem to mirror the screen:
Elon Musk in January talked about releasing phone mirroring support this year (in the middle of this year as a matter of fact, so hopefully very soon). See here for the video clip referencing this.
Something to consider is that ARM processors (which are used in Tesla vehicles) are excel at displaying video content, even while the processor can be really slow at everything else. This is why the original Raspberry Pi (released in 2012) which costed $35 for a small computer could play 1080p video flawlessly.

Last edited:
I think enabling Android Auto / Apple CarPlay would be easier than screen mirroring - easier to implement, easier on the hardware.

By the way, huge UI update does not necessarily mean goodies for classic owners. It would just mean making the UI worse like the last UI update did. Big UI "upgrade" by default means it is an upgrade for the latest model. It can easily mean downgrade for the minority (aren't we now?) owners.

I'd argue that given the recent accident involving the DVD player, this is why it doesn't matter if video is being played because drivers can do it already anyways. Perhaps they could put a disclaimer, but there is already have a web browser which can be pretty interactive giving you content to browse and read.

If you watched the linked video from before, this has been considered by the Tesla team and is not a significant problem to mirror the screen:
From a liability standpoint there's a huge difference between Tesla enabling the capability on the car vs. someone bringing in their own device to do it.

Right. Many (most?) jurisdictions in the US make it illegal to have video playing anywhere the driver can see. Whether that's in the dash or on a laptop, it's treated the same. Raw mirroring will not happen. And the US is pretty lax, I suspect it's not legal in much of Europe, either.
Definitely not in Asia with them temporarily taking away Autopilot then the whole Calendar app debacle.

How does the map go haywire on you?

If I am in a remote area and I fiddle with the screen, next thing I see is graph paper. The visual is gone.

I like constant north on the map. When I try to do adjust the screen, the map will rotate or move to a spot that I do not want. Then, I have to hit buttons to return to constant north.

And, nothing works when my fingers are moist from condensation after holding a frosty beverage.

So, clearly I am clumsy. Fine. I can deal with that. But there has to be an easy fix to be able to dial in to any Supercharger anywhere at any time without a lot of fuss, especially for those of us who may have lost some manual dexterity over the decades.

If I am in a remote area and I fiddle with the screen, next thing I see is graph paper. The visual is gone.

Sounds like you've just managed to swipe outside the area of cached tiles. If you're in a remote area, you may be losing cell signal, which will cause map tiles to load more slowly, or not at all. A tap on the north up (constant north) button should snap you back to your location. You mentioned that you have to hit buttons to get back to north up, but I think occasionally losing the lock point is inevitable when you have the capability to use pinch gestures. You could try adjusting the map via the zoom buttons in the top right corner. That would adjust the field of view without ever leaving north up.

there has to be an easy fix to be able to dial in to any Supercharger anywhere at any time without a lot of fuss, especially for those of us who may have lost some manual dexterity over the decades.

You could try voice navigation, but I think you already said in an earlier post that you had some trouble with that. Perhaps you could visit your local store or service center (or even just another owner in your area) and get a quick tutorial on how the voice commands work? If not, scroll down past the images on this page, and you'll see some examples of how it works. I don't have navigation in my car, so I don't use that particular function often, but I would hope that it would be able to work with Superchargers as destinations fairly easily.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
@cpa, FWIW, I began encountering today what is a new variant I've not seen before of what you may be calling the "grey graph paper tiles" -- a photo of my CID after I pulled-over and parked is below.

In the past, even in areas with double or triple bars on my AT&T iPhone, my CID Nav has always elected to sometimes not display a few tiles and generally after I leave the area I'm in, or after waiting a sufficient amount of time, the situation resolves. I figure it's transmission issues or the CID processor has what it considers more important things to do. The problem is more prominent when I have a hybrid view on, vs if I use a line-mode only (so I use line-mode nearly all the time the last several months as my personal workaround). I've documented in other threads my reports to Tesla Service and my belief there are memory constraints causing this.

...but this new "grey graph paper" sorta thing looks different to me, or perhaps I'm just in a daze today believing it's different now that you mention it. You'll see it in the picture below towards the bottom of my Nav display what I'm talking about. Oddly, the tiles did not clear themselves as I traveled off the screen and back over a 10-15 minute period of time, and a patch that was off this photo came back as I returned home. I tried rebooting the CID at my midway point after taking this photo, as that has always seemed to clear the cache and jumpstart the Nav/Media Player again, but in my case, the exact same grey tiles remained. ...and also strange now that I look at the photo is some of the street names are upside down or half-and-half. I don't remember that oddity occurring since I took delivery last September, but seem to remember reading it was there in very early firmware releases... Very odd stuff.

Unlike many here seeking out a SC to get the latest firmware, I'm still on tried-and-true 2.20.30, awaiting Tesla to anoint me with the next iteration. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
Sounds like you've just managed to swipe outside the area of cached tiles. If you're in a remote area, you may be losing cell signal, which will cause map tiles to load more slowly, or not at all. A tap on the north up (constant north) button should snap you back to your location. You mentioned that you have to hit buttons to get back to north up, but I think occasionally losing the lock point is inevitable when you have the capability to use pinch gestures. You could try adjusting the map via the zoom buttons in the top right corner. That would adjust the field of view without ever leaving north up.

You could try voice navigation, but I think you already said in an earlier post that you had some trouble with that. Perhaps you could visit your local store or service center (or even just another owner in your area) and get a quick tutorial on how the voice commands work? If not, scroll down past the images on this page, and you'll see some examples of how it works. I don't have navigation in my car, so I don't use that particular function often, but I would hope that it would be able to work with Superchargers as destinations fairly easily.

Thank you for you helpful hints. It is a three-hour drive to the nearest Service Center. Not too sure about the locals around here. :)

I am fortunate in that I know where I am going and how to get there; I do not need maps. I just need to be able to find the next SC en route to show the amount of range that I need!

Reactions: jvonbokel
@cpa, FWIW, I began encountering today what is a new variant I've not seen before of what you may be calling the "grey graph paper tiles" -- a photo of my CID after I pulled-over and parked is below.

In the past, even in areas with double or triple bars on my AT&T iPhone, my CID Nav has always elected to sometimes not display a few tiles and generally after I leave the area I'm in, or after waiting a sufficient amount of time, the situation resolves. I figure it's transmission issues or the CID processor has what it considers more important things to do. The problem is more prominent when I have a hybrid view on, vs if I use a line-mode only (so I use line-mode nearly all the time the last several months as my personal workaround). I've documented in other threads my reports to Tesla Service and my belief there are memory constraints causing this.

...but this new "grey graph paper" sorta thing looks different to me, or perhaps I'm just in a daze today believing it's different now that you mention it. You'll see it in the picture below towards the bottom of my Nav display what I'm talking about. Oddly, the tiles did not clear themselves as I traveled off the screen and back over a 10-15 minute period of time, and a patch that was off this photo came back as I returned home. I tried rebooting the CID at my midway point after taking this photo, as that has always seemed to clear the cache and jumpstart the Nav/Media Player again, but in my case, the exact same grey tiles remained. ...and also strange now that I look at the photo is some of the street names are upside down or half-and-half. I don't remember that oddity occurring since I took delivery last September, but seem to remember reading it was there in very early firmware releases... Very odd stuff.

Unlike many here seeking out a SC to get the latest firmware, I'm still on tried-and-true 2.20.30, awaiting Tesla to anoint me with the next iteration. ;)
Happened to me today as well, except the entire map disappeared and was just the grid. 3G connectivity was fine as I was streaming tune-in. Reboot didn't help. Must be a server issue.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
I noticed this today as well. Full 3G connectivity but Google maps was not redrawing easily at all on split screen. Switching to full screen helped. It's been hit/miss lately and as usual my 3G cuts out completely from time to time (as does my bluetooth but not at the same time). I wish it were better but I'm still surviving :).