Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The media player was the most striking change. It's been totally redone. Everything else appeared to be just a re-skin. US spec car, but only had Spotify in there and no Slacker. I would assume this means we are probably losing slacker, which sucks.

The IC graphics were also overhauled. Better looking, but nothing earth shattering.

Thanks , the move to Spotify has been rumored. Those who have Spotify now complain about the implementation so I hope OS comes with improvement there as well. There are a lot more users of Spotify than slacker so the change makes sense. If we had more choice it would be even better, Pandora, iTunes music, etc

The media player was the most striking change. It's been totally redone. Everything else appeared to be just a re-skin. US spec car, but only had Spotify in there and no Slacker. I would assume this means we are probably losing slacker, which sucks.

The IC graphics were also overhauled. Better looking, but nothing earth shattering.
Thank you for sharing. So no CarPlay I presume...?

What was your overall impression? Improvement in UI or not?

I also appreciate what @Ingineer continues to do for the community, especially the module breakdown for some of the firmware drops. It DOES help immensely give a feel for areas that perhaps have improvements or fixes for bugs I may want to explore. IMHO, none of us should continually push-push-push for more information, but allow it to come as @Ingineer is comfortable doing so.

There is a fine line here I'm sure before Tesla may consider it too much, especially with NDAs involved. We just don't need another person to go onto Tesla's bad guy list as we've seen happen at least once before. For me, I'll continue to absorb and Like nearly everything @Ingineer provides, and not try to ask more questions as much as I too would like to many times.

The value of the telemetry from our cars is probably why they're not giving anyone a drop-dead date on 3G/LTE, and no rate plans have been yet discussed, though a news story this week suggested they are today adding future LTE hotspot capabilities for future activation.

Regarding profitability of Service, current pricing for out-of-warranty claims that I've seen should ensure they at least cover their costs, eventually. But always worth noting that not much is "normal" right now in their business model.

As for 8.0 and now 8.1 I agree we're seeing the same pattern as 7.0 / 7.1 -- and I don't see any owners clamoring for a UI refresh... ??? Why is this always trotted out, what gives ?

All I really want is to add waypoints to NAV and avoid highways / toll roads. There is no reason for a big "point zero" release here IMHO except for Marketing of the Autopilot improvements, in light of the recent loss of life.

Reactions: msnow
The value of the telemetry from our cars is probably why they're not giving anyone a drop-dead date on 3G/LTE, and no rate plans have been yet discussed, though a news story this week suggested they are today adding future LTE hotspot capabilities for future activation.

Regarding profitability of Service, current pricing for out-of-warranty claims that I've seen should ensure they at least cover their costs, eventually. But always worth noting that not much is "normal" right now in their business model.

As for 8.0 and now 8.1 I agree we're seeing the same pattern as 7.0 / 7.1 -- and I don't see any owners clamoring for a UI refresh... ??? Why is this always trotted out, what gives ?

All I really want is to add waypoints to NAV and avoid highways / toll roads. There is no reason for a big "point zero" release here IMHO except for Marketing of the Autopilot improvements, in light of the recent loss of life.

Unless it was to jive with new 2.0 hardware that begins shipping with p100d models shortly after news release......

Jk

^ +1,000,000 to that!
So easy to do too (I am not a computer programmer, so take that statement with a grain of salt). Just have a button that says: "Add additional destination". Add as many as you like. The Nav can compute range, time, etc., just the same as if turn-by-turn. After all, it is just additional turns, right?

@Lex you must be reading a different forum. I saw a rather large proportion of members here who did not care for the 7.0 UI version, and disdain for media player universal. So everything reported sounds on target as good reaction to customer input. Best not to rue what is missing from 8 (eg waypoints) until we see it.

@HankLloydRight, @Ingineer's post indicated all features that would seem to cover AP and non AP cars. Personally I'm encouraged to hear UI and media player improvements. AP improvements are just noise to us classic owners. Albeit interesting noise!

Reactions: liuping

I've been looking forward to Spotify arriving as well, and a google search this morning located the following: Tesla - Spotify

Spotify seems to have let the cat out of the bag, confirming Ingineer's statement: Spotify is finally here, for real. Or at least, will be shortly at some undisclosed time just around the corner...

• Informative
Reactions: DÆrik

Improving Media Player is fine but if Navigation isn't fixed after all this time, 8.0 will be a big fail IMHO.

Reactions: RiverBrick
I've been looking forward to Spotify arriving as well, and a google search this morning located the following: Tesla - Spotify

Spotify seems to have let the cat out of the bag, confirming Ingineer's statement: Spotify is finally here, for real. Or at least, will be shortly at some undisclosed time just around the corner...

I hope you guys are correct. I would love to have Spotify in my car.

That's likely already online because Europeans have had Spotify in their car for awhile now, due to Rdio's demise.

Improving Media Player is fine but if Navigation isn't fixed after all this time, 8.0 will be a big fail IMHO.

Frankly, if all we see after 9 months of development is a new media player and some new UI, that will be a big fail. (Aside from the autopilot stuff, which is AFAIK a separate team).

Holding out hope that there's more to the update than Ingineer saw...

Reactions: msnow
From experience Spotify is great for the car if a little glitchy, even if there are other providers I would prefer.
SQ is mediocre, but for a car streamed solution I guess it is as good as can be hoped for.

You can either use the Tesla account provided (I do) or apparently if you already have spotify you can use your own account.

I think from Elon's comments that with v7 and v8 they are restructuring a lot of the code under the hood I assume to run more efficiently/improve security.
And also claimed to make future updates faster/easier.

The trouble with under the hood is we don't see this, we only get to view the UI, which could go some way to explaining the 8.0 / 8.1 in that they have done most of the work under the hood with v8 and some UI changes, with more to follow fairly quickly from the new code base.

Frankly, if all we see after 9 months of development is a new media player and some new UI, that will be a big fail. (Aside from the autopilot stuff, which is AFAIK a separate team).

Holding out hope that there's more to the update than Ingineer saw...
What sort of things outside of that are you looking for? Anything specific?

More voice seems to be a common request. And of course, Nav improvements. Those are the ones that come to mind offhand.

What sort of things outside of that are you looking for? Anything specific?

More voice seems to be a common request. And of course, Nav improvements. Those are the ones that come to mind offhand.

Mine pretty much mirror the requests of others. I'd like to see radar overlayed on the map.

I do recall Elon saying something about Supercharger status being in the update, which we haven't seen yet. So maybe that's coming in v8 or v8.1

From experience Spotify is great for the car if a little glitchy, even if there are other providers I would prefer.
SQ is mediocre, but for a car streamed solution I guess it is as good as can be hoped for.

You can either use the Tesla account provided (I do) or apparently if you already have spotify you can use your own account.
Do you also get the ads with Spotify?