Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I hate to use the tired Jobs/Musk analogy, I've got to whip it out here. Remember when Apple needed a "professional" CEO (Sculley) to take over from the inspirational but impetuous Jobs? Then Jobs left, company lost direction, almost went out of business... Until Jobs came back? Careful what you wish for. Most companies either never had or grew past an inspirational 'founder' (I recognize Musk did not found Tesla, but I don't know what other term to use). This company is so much about his vision that if you pull him out, I'm not sure what you have. Maybe Model 3 stablility is the time, but I think the broadened strategy (transport + energy) requires him around a while. For those who love the product who are frustrated because Musk is not conventional... Get used to it!

The problem with Sculley and team was that they had TOO MANY different product variations and self-inflicted competition via licensing Mac's OS to clone makers. The three most important things Jobs did to save Apple were: 1) Simplify the product line; 2) Secure a lifeline investment from Microsoft; and 3) Terminate licensing agreements with clone makers. Beyond that, everything else that Jobs did was repackaging and marketing. Most of Apple's products came from their labs, the only two attributable directly to Jobs - the original Lisa and the Cube - were standout flops.

The other amazing asset Jobs had since 1998: Tim Cook as COO. Apple could not have executed as well as it did for as long as it did without the amazing supply management skills of Tim Cook. Quarter after blowout quarter.

@Lex you must be reading a different forum. I saw a rather large proportion of members here who did not care for the 7.0 UI version, and disdain for media player universal. So everything reported sounds on target as good reaction to customer input. Best not to rue what is missing from 8 (eg waypoints) until we see it.

Hmm, you're agreeing with my point, but you're twisting a point so I feel compelled to respond, at least to help steer the thread back a bit ;)

So we're talking about 7 now, (I do read this forum, as much as possible) ok as a Classic owner, you may have viewed 7's UI as a refresh without purpose. But if you read this forum you knew it was for new functionality called Autopilot.

And if you didn't get to have any of that new functionality, you may have suffered what was perceived as a useless design change.

Actual fixes and features should always go in before design changes, of course. That was my point, but not about 7 but about 8 (the topic is 8 not 7). So for 8 you actually reinforced my point as any UI refresh would presumably be strictly for aesthetics and not to support any new features.

The "UI refresh" is a running gag, I am growing surer and surer of it...

Hmmm.... haven't been here in awhile since I got the MX but I heard about the 8.0 update. Delayed due to the SpaceX fire? Any real news? What will be included? How far back do I need to go to see any real information? Most of this is way off topic.

Hmmm.... haven't been here in awhile since I got the MX but I heard about the 8.0 update. Delayed due to the SpaceX fire? Any real news? What will be included? How far back do I need to go to see any real information? Most of this is way off topic.
Go to the beginning and scan a few pages, then skip to the end if you want to join us here in MS land! ;) Enjoy that MX!

Agree...but to continue the analogy, Elon needs a Tim Cook, COO, etc. Even his biggest fan would have to agree, he routinely makes statements that show he's a little lost in the C suite. Steve Jobs liked to micromanage details in a way that prevented him from having the time to actually run a company. Elon seems no different. Apple had a board that was responsible for maintaining the company long-term. Tesla currently has no real board. If they did, the board would reject the current situation as irresponsible. I think that is coming. The 'visionary' has a road show to do...lots of interviews, etc. wink, wink.
JB is his Tim Cook. (sorry JB;-)

JB is his Tim Cook. (sorry JB;-)
No, JB is the CTO of Tesla Motors and he is also in charge of Tesla Energy. His technical expertise in the areas of EVs and storage batteries is exceptional. He has no time to be the COO of Tesla Motors.

Eventually someone will come along who Elon will feel comfortable passing the Tesla Motors CEO position on to. He may already have identified that person in his mind. We have no idea.