Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fact that this announcement includes a press Q&A and the limited time lease offer ending on 9/12. Your statement is truly justified. The dragon mishap just delayed it and exposed the real deadline.

However I wonder what would have happened if it was announced after 9/12, why announce before this date? it's okay to have the new hardware ship out and then talk about it.
I don't see how you guys jumped to that conclusion. a) it's about 8.0 capabilities b) he's already said it was advanced processing through existing radar c) this would have been announced a week ago but for the explosion d) Elon has been making improvement and major firmware release announcements in this manner for a long time. AP 2.0 may be coming but it seems to me it's a ways off.

You know, it's really odd to do a press release on Sunday -- and on the anniversary of 9/11, no less. The logical inference is that it was necessary to announce on Sunday for some reason, and the most obvious reason is that they want to announce the feature before it ships, and Monday would be too late.

Conclusion: AP 2.0 hardware starts shipping on Monday.
This is very intriguing! But I'm trying to reconcile this with my expectation that the announcement of full autonomy will be a really big event, including an impressive demonstration of the technology (like the original autopilot event).

2.0 is not coming soon. You might see hardware shipping within the next few quarters, but you won't see level 3 software for about a year after that, minimum.

True level 4 "nap in the car" won't come for another 5 yrs after that, despite what Elon said. (He's unrealistically optimistic). And it won't be legal for years after that.

Everyone thinking level 4 autonomy is around the corner is dreaming.

You could sell this one after taking delivery, not sure of the loss on that one though.. Alternatively take it on a lease.. this is all assuming $2,500 is a significant amount for you. Having ordered a P100D I don't think that's the case for you.
Ironically, liquidating some of my stocks to come up with the $160K total, before the recent market downturn, actually put me ahead of the $2,500 down +$1,500 for charger installation.

That would be OK, not worried about the software that's OTA-upgraded regularly. The consensus in this thread on the hardware, however, is that it won't be easy to retrofit, so seems new purchasers should wait (hopefully only a couple quarters).
Waiting a couple of quarters means you'll miss out on driving a Tesla for a couple of quarters. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good-- especially as it will never be perfect, there will always be a hardware update to wait for. It's been this way for four years and will remain so. If I had waited a few months back in 2013 I could have had parking sensors and auto folding side mirrors.

But I'm trying to reconcile this with my expectation that the announcement of full autonomy will be a really big event,
I think it is clear that today Elon will not announce that Teslas will be capable of autonomous driving (Level 4) this year or even next year. He is going to talk about the next major advance in AP software, V8, an advance that will of course effect all current AP cars.

Whether he announces the next version of AP hardware I don't know for sure, but it seems likely that he will.

We will know in less than 5 hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: technomation
I don't see how you guys jumped to that conclusion. a) it's about 8.0 capabilities b) he's already said it was advanced processing through existing radar c) this would have been announced a week ago but for the explosion d) Elon has been making improvement and major firmware release announcements in this manner for a long time. AP 2.0 may be coming but it seems to me it's a ways off.

few reasons:
1) EM has said in the earlier interactions that the hardware is already there for full autonomy, it's just the software and regulations which will take time to get ready.
2) Why have a press event just for AP if it is just an improvement and not an overhaul with plethora of new features. One reason could be that given the recent negative press where AP was not at fault at all, he wants the same press to write good things.
3) The timing is sheer coincidence with the end of special lease offer ending on 9/12
4) The software isn't fully ready for AP 2.0, so doesn't make sense to demo it, but sharing it with the press would definitely help.
5) I have pushed my delivery to early 2017 in anticipation of getting AP 2.0 hardware, may be I am dreaming but am still hopeful that today is the day it gets sorted as when exactly am going to get my X delivered.

No one on my camp of this could be AP 2.0 hardware announcement?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Are people really worried about getting 2.0 hardware for features or deprecation of getting a car shortly before hardware?

I think everyone is in agreement drive will be roughly the same for a decent amount of time (maybe the entire time you own the car), but resale value will not be.

Are people really worried about getting 2.0 hardware for features or deprecation of getting a car shortly before hardware?

I think everyone is in agreement drive will be roughly the same for a decent amount of time (maybe the entire time you own the car), but resale value will not be.

Yeah, the resale value is what I am after. Don't want it plummet if I was on old hardware and it is not retrofittable.

Progress is inevitable and should be welcomed. Sour grapes aren't as fun as a snifter of port at Christmas :D

Elon and co. are continuously thinking about the next one, so I am also thinking this (if it happens ?? do we have confirmation of the press event, I found no public record) might be AP 2.0 hardware related. "Order now to get the hardware" sort of thing.

I just hope us "classic AP" cars get a release date for 8. Now to wait for the sun to travel across the continent... :cool:

Yeah, the resale value is what I am after. Don't want it plummet if I was on old hardware and it is not retrofittable.
You have the addition of dual motors and "classic Autopilot" to demonstrate that there is still a demand for used "classic Model S". Heck I'm sure some people order the car brand new without AP, or the front motor today. There's always someone who just needs a great car.

Reactions: krazineurons
Progress is inevitable and should be welcomed. Sour grapes aren't as fun as a snifter of port at Christmas :D

Elon and co. are continuously thinking about the next one, so I am also thinking this (if it happens ?? do we have confirmation of the press event, I found no public record) might be AP 2.0 hardware related. "Order now to get the hardware" sort of thing.

I just hope us "classic AP" cars get a release date for 8. Now to wait for the sun to travel across the continent... :cool:
Elon confirmed the press event for today 10:00 AM PDT. Public blog at noon PDT today.
@krazineurons - full autonomy is years away; Elon had a press event for the 7.0 AP announcement and all the significant changes over the years; given the press and regulatory attention on AP from the fatal crash I'm sure he wants to emphasize the radar improvements to existing AP; special lease offer is not important so definately coincidental; sorry for people losing resale value but Tesla has always been bad on depreciation and as soon as you get your car there will be talk of the "next big thing" or the 150 kW battery with 400 mile range. Just accept it or this isn't the right car for you.

Anybody care to kill the next 63 minutes with some guesses concerning how many minutes late the 11:00am Q&A session will start, or what the choice of background music will be?

I'll pick 11:07 for the time, and "Driving Sideways" by Aimee Mann for the background music. Something AP appropriate.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Does anyone know if the announcement will be simulcast on the web?

Regarding AP 2.0, the recent breaking of relations with Mobileye may put a bit of a "stutter" in the rollout of that functionality. Time will tell.

I just wonder how much "beta" software will now become V1.0 and what new apps or added/refined functionality 8.0 brings beyond a new GUI skin? Hope we do not have a repeat of initial 7.0 loss of functionality. Fingers and toes crossed.

I's say 45 minutes late.... no background music.... Background music would require some amount of planning.

Oh, Oh, I am being sarcastic? Oh, My.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: msnow