Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2016-9-21_16-39-39.png

• Funny
Reactions: Pascal-R
Unfortunately the Tesla MCU seems to already be overtaxed...

Not sure how it could be over-taxed when it's not doing anything compute intensive. All it's doing is displaying an interface and doing some relatively easy, non-intensive work behind the scenes. AP is not processed with the MCU hardware, as far as I'm aware it has its own processing subsystem.

Reactions: liuping
Not sure how it could be over-taxed when it's not doing anything compute intensive. All it's doing is displaying an interface and doing some relatively easy, non-intensive work behind the scenes. AP is not processed with the MCU hardware, as far as I'm aware it has its own processing subsystem.

Correct, and it would be a violation of good safety critical software engineering practice to put AP related processing on the same CPU as the media player/browser/etc.

Reactions: scottf200
Yet here we are with framerates like Mr. Game-and-Watch....

Reactions: Fiver

I don't really know either, but I do know that the UI is almost always laggy, and it's easy to load it up to the point where the music temporarily starts skipping. My theory is that it's because of the huge screen, so it's pushing many more pixels than the phones and tablets that old nVidia SoC was meant to drive.

Reactions: Boatguy
I could be completely wrong as I'm not a bench-test tinkerer like a couple of folks here, and I have no knowledge of the guts of what's under the covers on our MS... My perception from reading an awful lot of posts is Tesla has also enabled an increasing amount of background logging that may not be evident to us as owners. It's how e.g. Tesla can ID what has been going on before accidents, how Tesla has been able to tell me even that my frunk was opened by my FOB vs the CID and the exact times that happened when I was having problems a while back, and for AP vehicles there is collection and sending of who knows how much data being sent up for aggregation, as well as tiles being constantly brought down as one travels along with Nav updates. All that to say, from my past experience, background processes can almost cripple more visible productive work getting done, depending on priorities the programmers put on things. As owners, most of us will never have a clue how all that is happening and its impact on individual or connected modules & processes thoughout our vehicles.

I'm leaning more to it being the software ON the MCU rather than the hardware itself as the reason why it's so slow, laggy and needs to be rebooted often. Memory leaks, inefficient coding, etc, can all be contributing factors.

Reactions: davidc18
I'm leaning more to it being the software ON the MCU rather than the hardware itself as the reason why it's so slow, laggy and needs to be rebooted often. Memory leaks, inefficient coding, etc, can all be contributing factors.
@Ingineer mentioned that there was excessive logging to syslog that has been at least somewhat curtailed in 8.0. Streamlining those kinds of things should help to some degree.

Y
@Ingineer mentioned that there was excessive logging to syslog that has been at least somewhat curtailed in 8.0. Streamlining those kinds of things should help to some degree.
Yes, looking forward to seeing that. Ingineer also mentioned he noticed the browser was a little faster with the new logging settings. I was thinking back to the SvC solutions to lag being to remove USB drives, clearing Navigation places and Trips which seemed that like odd solutions if the code was working as it should.

Reactions: davidc18
Yes, looking forward to seeing that. Ingineer also mentioned he noticed the browser was a little faster with the new logging settings. I was thinking back to the SvC solutions to lag being to remove USB drives, clearing Navigation places and Trips which seemed that like odd solutions if the code was working as it should.

So this is like the Tesla version of "Safari is snappier"? :)

Seriously, I've seen excessive logging really bog down my own code, and Ingineer's explanation made a lot of sense. Particularly if syslogd (or any other process) is involved, because that requires inter-process communication, context switches, etc.

Bruce.