Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No search for USB at the moment. I thought that they index the USB drive when inserted or when car is powered on, which is why it takes time to see all of your content in USB view. However, I wouldn't put it past Tesla to get a quick win if they had the opportunity so if they could easily search the USB it would be there.

My guess is that the search along with the voice command is a online query that triggers the online services, thats why you cannot use Voice Command when there is no LTE signal, I confirmed this by trying to search while in my jobs underground parking garage and search nor voice commands work when no signal is present. If they could just search online first and then have USB be a secondary query that could run once the online results are presented I think it would be easier to integrate, so search show all of the online results and then when you press the USB filter in the search list it would initiate a search for USB content, it wouldn't be elegant but its maybe something they could do quicker in the interim.
IMHO, USB scanning upon insert, is purely mapping the directory structure and files on the stick in a way that the Media Player menu system can then access them (by Album, Artist, etc). Nothing more, or at least it wasn't up through 7.2. If you don't reboot the CID, and unplug and plug your same USB device back in, you'll note it takes less time to scan because Tesla is not looking at all the track data (as perhaps they should) -- only for what's changed. That's why if you change say the root directory name on your USB device, it will force a complete rescan of the device and Media Player ignores any previously cached data (like album art).

While I agree it's preferable to use imbedded track art if available, I see nothing that says Album art is predetermined as the USB device is scanned, but more likely, as tracks are played the request is sent to Gracenotes and something (if anything) is retrieved and displayed. The track image is cached so that if you play the track again, the same one is used vs pulling it down again if it's still available on your vehicle.

On voice commands, I agree with your theory about what work is done where... and yes, Tesla could do more upon scanning the USB device to allow search and voice commands against the data. As they say, it's a matter of prioritizing the programming work. I suspect the real challenge would become the additional time it would add to the scan of the USB device every time it's inserted, and additional memory necessary to keep all the mapped voice data available for each track within the fixed 2GB already being used for so many other things.

IMHO Tesla is just prioritizing use of streaming sources with Media Player, has Bluetooth as an alternative for formerly hardwired devices, and only accommodates USB devices with Media Player. It was pretty apparent from formerly known bugs in 7.2 that Tesla has minimal use cases when it comes to USB, likely created by engineers that don't use USB as their primary media type, and who never made extensive use of hardwired iPod/MP3 Players that some of us have and would love to use once again. If Tesla has eliminated things like faster access to tracks by letter-of-the-alphabet, it only supports my sad theory.

I've been offline for a bit. Has there been any non-insider, Pacific Coast types updated with 8.0 yet? Earlier today, it seemed that eastern time zone was leading the way. There's something to be said about familiarity............so, is there anyone I know out there that got 8.0 yet???? :D.

This is already 3 years old and even back then the sensor suite was far more enhanced than Tesla is currently:

Sensory Overload: How the New Mercedes S-class Sees All

Yes, yet Tesla's Autopilot is far more advanced than anything Mercedes has to offer with supposedly superior sensors and radar. That's why I asked. No system currently on the road, or even announced to be on the road soon, can compare with Tesla's Autopilot no matter how many sensors, or whatever kinds of sensors, they are using.

Reactions: bobjustbob
EDIT - I'm not a pessimist at all, but is this release truly considered a "serious upgrade". Seems like lots of tweaks, fixes and a couple of cow bells and dog whistles. I need to reset my hype meter.
Elon lost all credibility with me the day he held a press conference over the Trip Planner feature. I think it's Elon's hype-o-meter that needs to be reset.

No, your information is not correct. Most vehicles use Radar for Blind Spot Detection but Sonar for Parking Assistance. Tesla made a mistake and tried to combine these into just Sonar, but it doesn't work properly at high speeds.
Well no upgrade for me, then, if Tesla's implementation doesn't work well. How can Autopilot lane change be relied upon if the blind spot detection is shady?

Yes, yet Tesla's Autopilot is far more advanced than anything Mercedes has to offer with supposedly superior sensors and radar. That's why I asked. No system currently on the road, or even announced to be on the road soon, can compare with Tesla's Autopilot no matter how many sensors, or whatever kinds of sensors, they are using.

That's true, as I have also pointed out multiple times in this forum. But the Model S's current sensor suite limits what can be done in the future and compromises safety. Auto lane changing simply can't be done as safely as a car that has the ability to see at the rear sides for long distances to catch those cars that are coming up on your with large speed differentials.