Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gave a dislike to the post because it was condescending and insulting, and shows that he doesn't understand the mentality of an early adopter. I bought my first Model 3 three and a half years ago. VIN under 13,000. Sure, initial release of 8.0 will have a few bugs, but as long as it doesn't brick my car, I'm excited to be on the edge and even help Tesla by reporting bugs. That's what early adopters do. If you want safe, wait until Tesla is making a profit every quarter has been building the model 3 for a few years....

P.S. - Got the update on the S this morning, but still waiting on the X.
I don't think you meant to type "Model 3".

Ya I have one and putting it 15ft from the car still won't connect. The wifi antenna on the S (at least my 11000 series) is very very poor. Also the RFID reader is very weak, usually the "key not in car" message will pop up while i drive.

Delete all WiFi networks from the car and just add back that from the range extender. I recall having a similar problem ~4 years ago, the car was prioritizing searching for the first network I installed; deleting it did the trick. If there's still an issue it may be one for the service center to take a look at.

Ya I have one and putting it 15ft from the car still won't connect. The wifi antenna on the S (at least my 11000 series) is very very poor. Also the RFID reader is very weak, usually the "key not in car" message will pop up while i drive.
Is it possible that during one of your services, that one of the two antennas didn't get plugged in?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Wow. Interesting that there's a new build so fast. I wonder if they'll push that to everyone? My phone isn't notifying me of a new update (it has notified me in the past so I know my notifications are working in the Android app).

Update: the notification for 2.36.108 popped up just as I was about to leave for work. I kicked off the install just after I arrived. It doesn't look like they fixed any of my annoyances with the USB media player. But anyway, this answers my main question - it does look like people who got 2.36.106 should expect to be updated to 2.36.108 pretty quickly.

Also, I seldom see more than 1 bar of WiFi signal strength on the Tesla display but the connection is still solid and usable for me.

Mike
Yea, the S antenna sucks! My phone will have 5 wifi bars at home and the S 1 bar. And internet is slower with the wifi. Frustrating! I will try the delete all others and may get an extender even though the router is only 35 feet away

Yea, the S antenna sucks! My phone will have 5 wifi bars at home and the S 1 bar. And internet is slower with the wifi. Frustrating! I will try the delete all others and may get an extender even though the router is only 35 feet away

My MS connects to wifi at the service center and at work, but not at home. I have placed a range extender in my garage 10ft from the car and can not connect to the network, the car does see the network but it won't connect. If I don't park my car inside a 50x50ft area at work I don't even see the wifi network. I think in my case the range extender would need to be inside the car for it to work.

Update staged 1:30am, Car on home wifi. But people looking for the magic formula may be confused, because I also

- drove by the local service center yesterday
- got on the Tesla Service network
- already got the "wait this isn't 8" security patch on Tuesday
- held a overnight vigil at Tesla HQ with other diehards singing (to the tune of We Shall Overcome) "we shall download 8 / someday / oh I do believe / deep in my car / we shall download 8 someday"

Or maybe I dreamed the last one.

My MS connects to wifi at the service center and at work, but not at home. I have placed a range extender in my garage 10ft from the car and can not connect to the network, the car does see the network but it won't connect. If I don't park my car inside a 50x50ft area at work I don't even see the wifi network. I think in my case the range extender would need to be inside the car for it to work.
You need to find a place for the range extender to have a *strong* connection to your router and "good enough" connection to your car so placing it 10' from your car isn't going to help unless you have that balance. Are you sure you have the security setup right?

I got the update notice Thursday morning, but the car was at the service center so I couldn't install it. I picked the car up this morning, but... nothing! I guess it got pulled, and they haven't yet given me the fixed one. Oh well, I'll just constantly check my phone for the next notification today!

To the fellow telling everyone to wait a while, that is indeed sound advice, but not one I'm going to follow, even though I've been an owner for a year and a half. I'm excited about the new stuff and updates are one of the reasons I love this car. I'm pretty confident that whatever bugs it may have won't brick the car, and even if they do, I know Tesla will take care of me. I don't fault anyone who wants to wait a little while, but you're wrong that everyone with experience will do that.

Reactions: msnow
I got the update overnight last night without any trips near a Service Center.. could be that the rollout is picking up steam.

Overall, it's really nice and more than I was expecting. The new UI is much more pleasant to look at. Some of the already pointed-out audio stuff is a problem but easily fixed (scrolling large USB collections).

The WiFi reception of the MS is weak, but before buying an extender, check this:
If your router is on the left side of the car, try moving it first to the right side. The Model S WiFi antenna is built into the right side mirror, so you will probably get a better signal as it is not going through all the metal and glass of the car to reach the antenna. Also, use the lowest WiFi channel number possible as lower frequencies penetrate walls better.

My router is placed only 10 feet away on the left side of the car, and it only shows 2 bars in the car! Because I have no way to move my router to another place due to my fiber connection, I have now a range extender on the right side of the car connected by a LAN cable, and it gives me a full signal!

I gave a dislike to the post because it was condescending and insulting, and shows that he doesn't understand the mentality of an early adopter. I bought my first Model 3 three and a half years ago. VIN under 13,000. Sure, initial release of 8.0 will have a few bugs, but as long as it doesn't brick my car, I'm excited to be on the edge and even help Tesla by reporting bugs. That's what early adopters do. If you want safe, wait until Tesla is making a profit every quarter has been building the model 3 for a few years....

Strange. I didn't pick up on the slightest condescension. Oh well.