Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good question, when 7 came out, the manual on My Tesla website appeared a few weeks later as I recall. So for now, you have the release notes. And of course the older manuals. BTW, was the manual on the S updated to the 8.0 version?

I just checked the on board manual. I couldn't find a date, or revision number, but the info is based on the new software. It showed the updated AP display and the new voice command button on-button off setup.

So I'll post some initial 8.0 impressions:
This is great news. Those are sensible things that I used to complain about and expected to be fixed.

So, in other words, the Israeli Mobile Eye was screwing up Tesla, and killed that Florida driver. Yeah, I said it. I said a long time ago that the Tesla + Mobile Eye partnership was a bad idea. I am entirely happy that Tesla has made progress on this situation. If Tesla keeps their attention on it, they can lead from ahead and not behind, and show NHSTA the right way to do it rather than have NHSTA lead them around by the nose (like Mobile Eye was setting them up to do).

We can expect Tesla to get steadily better now with AP. These are major improvements. In all honesty, most of us AI aware programmers expected this level of function a few years ago shortly after AP first came out, but like I've said in the past, now that Tesla is on its way, it's all progress now. We can look forward to incremental steady improvements every 6 to 18 months for a while now, and I suspect we'll see it going much faster than that during many jump periods, like this next couple of months, when I suspect it will be phenomenal improvement, COMPARED to what we had. AP improvements will be fun to watch.

IT IS NOT AUTONOMOUS YET. WITH EVERY STEP FORWARD, IT MIGHT DO SOMETHING OLD WORSE. YOU HAVE TO BE THE MAIN DRIVER AND TAKE CONTROL AT A NANOSECOND'S NOTICE. Ok, that's out of the way. Seriously, some "advancements" will be steps backward sometimes, so watch out.

Anyone else notice that there is no longer a "login" screen for the stream audio? Also, all the Slacker branding is removed. I'm sure the login is still there but now it appears to be hidden/behind the scenes.

I finally found it. You have to scroll the panel up, the login area is at the bottom of the music streaming panel.

Has anyone gotten cover art to work for their USB yet? No artwork is showing for me now.
I don't have 8.0 yet, but try changing the name of the root directory of your USB stick, insert again and let it be scanned. If 8.0 is like 7.x, that will cause any tracks that may have Gracenotes album art to be ignored and pulled back down the next time you play the track. Rebooting the CID may help, but my past experience is to resolve the problem takes Media Player to think your tracks are all new to get the art (as strange as it is sometimes) flowing again...

Am I the last person not to have 8.0 yet? I just got the last 7.1 update two days ago, so I must be at the bottom of the list. :<
You're not alone. Welcome to the left-in-the-dust club. ;) Check the tracker and you'll find 8.0 is being much more slowly released than some others have been. As my grandmother used to say, "patience is a virtue". Ah ha ha.

Am I the last person not to have 8.0 yet? I just got the last 7.1 update two days ago, so I must be at the bottom of the list. :<
According to ev-fw.com, it is around 10% (53 of 529 reported) so far that have it. This is just a sampling, but I consider it a fairly moderate sample size.

53 is the number of cars which reported having 2.36.108, which is the first widespread* release level 8.0.

529 is the number of cars which reported having 2.36.31, which was supposed to be 100% spread to every car to fix a security hole. Since this was only a few days ago, and it was to plug a security hole, I use it as an extremely easy and accurate approximation of the number of live FW reporters that would be likely to report 8.0 FW at this time. We are relatively lucky that a security hole got patched so few days before the release of an intensely interesting FW release, for this reason.

ev-fw.com only represents those who wish to report, so, participants from TMC, mostly.

-------------

* 2.36.106 was the first 8.0 released, but it was pulled so fast they "hammered"** it, and didn't even use proper English in writing the note about that they were so hurried; they very effectively halted its release before it became "widespread", even disabling it in cars that had downloaded it successfully and were ready to install it (but hadn't yet done so because owner hadn't given consent), with only 3% getting it installed, and reportedly only 1.7% still not since upgraded to 2.36.108, if ev-fw.com reports are to be believed.

There is a bad precedent, which I got from reading eyewitness reports on TMC and analyzing ev-fw.com: Analysis shows that Tesla quickly sent the fix to .106 to those that installed it, 8 of the 17 on ev-fw.com getting .108 installed within a day. That is good. What is bad is that analysis also showed that many who were offered .106 but did not install it and got it "hammered" out of their car, have not subsequently been offered .108, introducing a "damned if you do damned if you don't" dilemma of what do you do if you have the option to install a known dangerous firmware in order to "lock your place in to get the fixed upgrade sooner" (some people had this option and knew they had this option --- they had the files staged while in good network range (wifi) but parked in a parking garage in bad network range (1 bar or less LTE) when it got pulled, so they could have been able to install without the pulling --- and in any case, a "rush to install" might be a statistically significant hurt level from this kind of behavior). In my humble opinion, Tesla should have circumvented this dilemma by simply pushing .108 forcefully to EVERYONE who had .106 staged or a reasonable approximation of almost done staging (some people know when their car is getting ready to metamorphose), WHETHER OR NOT they tried installing it. (Simply pushing .108 to everyone who had .106 pushed would have neatly solved that.)

** I presume "hammered" means they went after the release and pulled it back out by doing something similar to zero'ing out the upgrade files in place so it wouldn't signature verify. It might not mean that: it may mean that the MCU had a bug that made it freeze because some piece of it got "hammered" in software causing the hang bug. Doesn't really matter here to my point about the releases.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brec and newtman
I got 8.0 today, and I'm not sure it adds much for me (non ap). Maybe a little more slick overall.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost album cover art on regular fm stations. Anyone else notice this? I still get them on slacker, but on fm I just get generic station logos. :( I hope this isn't permanent because it's a big downgrade in terms of polish imo.

Here's the release notes the first time the forum saw them:

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

And this is what makes me rethink my initial assumption that it would be this software:

View attachment 195777

That "in future releases" language seems pretty unambiguous, though unexpected.

I for one I'm glad that it will be in a future release because I don't want automatic emergency braking to suddenly switch what it uses to activate until a certain amount of time has been given for fleet learning. I also like knowing exactly when it does get switched. So I can hold off on that update for a few weeks.

I for one I'm glad that it will be in a future release because I don't want automatic emergency braking to suddenly switch what it uses to activate until a certain amount of time has been given for fleet learning. I also like knowing exactly when it does get switched. So I can hold off on that update for a few weeks.

Even if they do it in a future update, there is no way they can switch it for all roads at the same time unless they are going to wait years. So even once it uses the new improved AEB it will act differently on different roads. (I wonder if Tesla will publish any details on witelisted roads, or make some indication on the IC that lets you know which type of AEB is enabled.)

Must be missing something but in 8.0 I don't see the media player settings menu where you could enter your Slacker and TuneIn accounts - if I recall it used to be in application settings alongside nav and calendar?
Click on media. Go full screen. Click on stream or TuneIn. Scroll to the very bottom is the login screen.

TuneIn login works. Slackers login hangs at the moment