Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other hand, @eyespii 's post saying that fundamentally all that matters is miles, as in how many miles of range are available and during charging how fast are miles or range being added to the car is a valid one.
I'm not convinced. As we all know, the number of actual, drivable miles in the pack are completely dependent on the conditions. On the other hand, nominal rated "miles" are just a nonstandard expression of kWh, so at that point you may as well be honest and use kWh.

Reactions: u00mem9
Volt and amp values are essential information for troubleshooting a home charging setup, so it would be bad if they've taken it away for standard charging as well.

Still shows when home charging (at least it does for me on my HPWC).

So, luckily Tesla still thinks it's okay to have that information to troubleshoot your home charging installation. They just don't want you troubleshooting and complaining about their Superchargers with that information.

If the kW display is real time and not averaged during a supercharger session (I haven't been to a supercharger since installing 8.0 so I don't know) then we should still be able to figure out if it has ramped down prematurely.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Done installing and did some testing. I got 108, so the idea of a new build being put out is either wrong or I got in on the tail end of the old one.

First impression is pretty good. I like the UI overhaul and the expanding maps. Not sure about the media player yet, but it's not immediately horrible. Radar seeing two cars ahead worked well, but I didn't do any freeway driving so I didn't test much with Autopilot. Voice commands seem to work a lot better now, and I like being able to just push the button once and talk, instead of holding it down and then releasing it when I'm done. Perhaps best of all, everything seems way more responsive. It's still not iPad-smooth, but everything on the big screen feels much faster, especially things like scrolling or zooming the map.

Done installing and did some testing. I got 108, so the idea of a new build being put out is either wrong or I got in on the tail end of the old one.

First impression is pretty good. I like the UI overhaul and the expanding maps. Not sure about the media player yet, but it's not immediately horrible. Radar seeing two cars ahead worked well, but I didn't do any freeway driving so I didn't test much with Autopilot. Voice commands seem to work a lot better now, and I like being able to just push the button once and talk, instead of holding it down and then releasing it when I'm done. Perhaps best of all, everything seems way more responsive. It's still not iPad-smooth, but everything on the big screen feels much faster, especially things like scrolling or zooming the map.
When did to get the download?

• Love
Reactions: Lex
Not arbitrary. My point was that it is useful for EV owners to think in terms of kWh because that is stored energy that powers their car (amps and volts are not stored energy) just as it is useful for ICE owners to think in terms of gallons of gasoline because that is the stored energy that powers their car and how much of it they have in their tank determines how far they can travel on that tank.
If it only took 2 minutes to charge a Model S, sure. But while it still takes over an hour to do a range charge, these values are important. Horse before cart.

So you are saying that they need to license, and integrate, both Car Play and Android Auto, and then Tesla would still need to create/maintain their own apps to support people that don't have a smartphone, or have an unsupported smartphone, like a Windows 10 phone. Seems like a waste of money that could be better put towards improving their own solutions.
I agree they should but they haven't. Every year they promise every year they don't deliver. I have to assume they don't prioritize it the way we do or don't have the expertise.

I got the notification on my phone at about 11:35AM US eastern time. Incidentally we were not at home at the time, and the car was out in a restaurant parking lot, so at least some of it came in over 3G.
Thanks, I guess they've not stopped pushing out the update completely, but i seems real slow. Tracker only shows one reported upgrade today. I'm glad you like the upgrade.

That's my report on the tracker, too. Crazy that I'm the only one! I hope the rest of you can join me in this magical land of fairies and unicorns soon.

Speaking of the tracker, I linked my Tesla account and that report was automatically added. However, it got added as 7.1, but build 2.36.108. Can I change that 7.1 to 8.0, or should I delete it and make a new report, or what?

Well for starters electrical circuits are rated in volts and amps - not kW.
And for that reason plenty of folks understand what a volt and an amp are.

I will miss seeing volts and amps on the display because you do lose important information.
When you are charging slowly - knowing both volts and amps helps point the finger to the cause.

When I'm at home it is nice to see the amps ramp up to 40A on my HPWC - it provides me with hard data about the health of my circuit.
When you I'm supercharging - amps tell you about the performance of the Supercharger - and Volts gives you trend data about the health of your battery pack.

To be clear, it's only supercharging that shows kW. HPWC and L2 charging still shows voltage and current.

That's my report on the tracker, too. Crazy that I'm the only one! I hope the rest of you can join me in this magical land of fairies and unicorns soon.

Speaking of the tracker, I linked my Tesla account and that report was automatically added. However, it got added as 7.1, but build 2.36.108. Can I change that 7.1 to 8.0, or should I delete it and make a new report, or what?
That's more of a @HankLloydRight question. I'd be interested in the answer too since I'm linked with TeslaFi.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Show's 8.0 for me.

upload_2016-9-25_14-7-3.png