Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if I'm never on wifi (or only very briefly every now and then)? Does that mean I'll never get map updates?
The Owners Manual makes the statement that Updated Maps are periodically provided over WiFi only (p119 of latest 7.1 US Manual). It's the primary reason I ensured I had strong WiFi connectivity in my garage before I took delivery. OTOH, there were several posts from people here on TMC earlier this year when Tesla was pushing out map updates to many MS, that never had WiFi connectivity. So there you have it. The documentation says one thing, but Tesla reality is sometimes another. ;)

I do. Bear in mind this is a stick that used to work. If you read 2-300 messages forward in the thread :-/ you'll see I eventually did get it to work, by turning off energy-saving I think. I'm trying to reproduce the bug and reproduce the workaround now, before filing a bug report.

Apart from all the other ugly things, at least with my stick they appear to have slowed down the rate at which they scan it by 1 to 2 orders of magnitude. :-(
I did, I had 30 pages to catch up to. I read them all. And I'm super glad you got it working.

Reactions: jgs
Installed 8.0 last night but haven't had time to test AP. BIggest problem so far is TuneIn will not connect. I pretty much depend on it because the Tesla AM/FM antenna is so bad in my area it's the only way I can get news and local stations. I sent an email to [email protected]. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed at what I've seen so far. When Tesla and Elon call this "the biggest overhaul to the UI since the introduction of the Model S" I expected more than what I've seen. So far it looks like it's primarily the AP fix they needed to address the problems that surfaced from the fatal crash in Florida with a new skin. Hope I'm wrong.

The Owners Manual makes the statement that Updated Maps are periodically provided over WiFi only (p119 of latest 7.1 US Manual). It's the primary reason I ensured I had strong WiFi connectivity in my garage before I took delivery. OTOH, there were several posts from people here on TMC earlier this year when Tesla was pushing out map updates to many MS, that never had WiFi connectivity. So there you have it. The documentation says one thing, but Tesla reality is sometimes another. ;)
They have an aging parameter, so basically if you have WiFi you get it as soon as it's available. If you don't, you wait. I don't have a recent log in front of me, but it was a ways in the future.

Buy a cheap AP/Range Extender, such as this one: http://amzn.to/2cFePWj

It works best if you run ethernet from your existing router/AP, but can also work as a repeater (WDS) is needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
They have an aging parameter, so basically if you have WiFi you get it as soon as it's available. If you don't, you wait. I don't have a recent log in front of me, but it was a ways in the future.

It works best if you run ethernet from your existing router/AP, but can also work as a repeater (WDS) is needed.
Unfortunately my car space is 4 levels underground and no amount of extenders are going to help :( Guess I'll just wait…

It's supposed to notify you on screen when you get them but it doesn't always do that.

I hate when nontechnical people say stuff like this. "It's just a button on a page, shouldn't take much to add." Clueless people who have no idea what processes on the backend may be impacted.
I'm glad Elon does not not do things because they are more complex than some people think. If he worked that way we would not even have the Modle S at all, and we certainly would not have any software updates at all.

Seriously? I got that one a month or two ago. Why didn't we all get it at the same time? It's just MAPS! No guinea pigs required for maps, am i right?

Last week, a Tesla tech was telling me about a maps bug he discovered while working at another car company. When driving over a certain bridge, only in certain lanes, the system would hit corrupt map data and shut down, to the point of actually closing the retractable navigation screen in that particular car. I think he even said it killed the media player, although I could be misremembering that part.

The 8-Ball lied last evening. Bert has not received his update yet ...but today is another day!
OK, @NikeWings, I take it back -- sort of. Was in the store not 30 minutes ago and received notification on my Apple Watch that an update was ready for installation. It definitely downloaded via WiFi before I left for that short errand. Update (hopefully 8.0) installing now.

I have faith again in your 8-ball, just as I did for so long as a kid. It really was one of my best Christmas toys from Santa so many years ago. :)

Oh, and FWIW, the update available notification also appeared on my iPhone and iPad, but then again, I try to always keep my Tesla App running. I did notice in upgrading to iOS 10, that the Tesla App remained in the background but crashed upon my first use -- for those upgrading, be sure you shutdown and restart the App and all has been well for me since.