Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost lost hope after two failed attempts of geofence methods (Thanks to 2.36.31)
Then they pushed 8.0 to me last night around 1:30am, can't wait for another day, rushed into garage and hit "update now".
Enjoyed best sleep ever have...;)

btw, never connected wifi for almost half year. bad connection in shared garage.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
8.0 Release Notes
General

1. Touchscreen redesigned around providing a large, uncluttered map
  2. Status bar and app icons will fade when car is driving, reappearing at a tap or when parked
Media Player

1. Updated "Now Playing" view and controls
  2. Favorites across all media types
  3. Play recent media
  4. Remove media from recent list with press and hold
  5. Improved media search and navigation
  6. Improved TuneIn support and navigation
  7. Updated radio design and navigation
Maps & Navigation

1. Swipe to navigate to home or office
  2. Controls now hide and show as required
  3. Improved location listing
  4. Map automatic zooming
  5. Option to avoid tolls and ferries
  6. Clearer turn instructions
  7. More visible round trip energy estimate
  8. Choice of time savings before traffic based re-routing
Voice Commands

1. Voice commands are easier to use
  2. More accurate contact matching
  3. Initiate voice commands with a single press of the steering wheel button
  4. Voice command transcript
  5. Voice command tips
  6. Improved voice command response time
  7. French and German support
Autopilot

1. Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
  2. Redesigned Autopilot indicators
  3. Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
  4. Vehicles on the instrument panel show direction
Additional Improvements

1. Consistent airflow from fans throughout the car
  2. Smart climate control based on solar heating and position of the sun
  3. Passenger control of the touchscreen now lasts 30 minutes after the driver has left the car
  4. Intelligent HomeLink notifications
  5. Improved regenerative braking on all-wheel drive cars
  6. Improved Auto Front Door functionality (Model X only)
  7. Falcon Wing doors open and close more quickly (Model X only)

Thank you. I actually was not very clear in my request. I have seen these notes and actually was trying to see if Tesla has published any instructions or manual to review (short of sitting in my car and playing with the buttons). I'm one of those RTFM types.

Just got the update notice while driving with my phone tethered for wifi access. This is the first time I've received an update at any time other than overnight, so I can only presume they are pushing this update out hard today.

I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot and started the update. Screw patience.

Good luck everyone. I'll post my two cents as an avid daily AP user who is deeply concerned with nags ASAP.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Do we have a definitive understanding of what the conditions are to disable autopilot for the remainder of the trip? So far, I've experienced the standard "Hands on the Wheel" dialog box in the bottom center of the screen and then the flashing border around the edge of the instrument cluster accompanying the dialog. I'm pretty sure I let it go to the flashing message three times and did not experience it disabling autopilot. I'll be more pro-active at trying to make it disable on the way home if no one has yet tested this out.

-----------------------

Ignore me, I found the appropriate thread with an explanation.

Do we have a definitive understanding of what the conditions are to disable autopilot for the remainder of the trip? So far, I've experienced the standard "Hands on the Wheel" dialog box in the bottom center of the screen and then the flashing border around the edge of the instrument cluster accompanying the dialog. I'm pretty sure I let it go to the flashing message three times and did not experience it disabling autopilot. I'll be more pro-active at trying to make it disable on the way home if no one has yet tested this out.

Audible warning ignored 3 times.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
In another thread (I think) it was established that if you hear the audible tones 3 times within an hour, you will be locked out of AP until you park. It seems you can experience the flashing border as much as you want as long as you comply before the audible tones come up.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
Observations of 8.0 after 25 miles...

First off, to me the connectivity between the iPhone Tesla App and my Model S is much improved... much quicker for the app to get a connection to the S. NICE

The Navigation map auto zooms into a greater detailed map when you leave a turnpike or freeway and near the end of an exit ramp... NICE

Like the fact that the street name you are on is shown in a light grey (to Me Color Challenged) box in a horizontal fashion at the bottom of the map... NICE

The Browser APP appears to be faster bit a bit.... I run the Wind Speed app in it often and it was Snappy quick... NICE

My beloved SUMMON worked perfectly with one oddity.... I have my S set up to have the side mirrors folded in when locked... A visual cue as it were... well when I SUMMONED the S out of the garage, Summon first opened or unfolded the mirrors and then folded them back in before backing out of the garage... I have not tested this a second time... but that is not good. NICE on Summon working NOT SO NICE on flapping side mirrors....

Autopilot felt smooth with one exception, that is when nearing the crest of a rise or small hill on a divided freeway with no auto ahead of you. When nearing the top of the hill the autopilot lane keeping felt just a bit jittery... perhaps my imagination but that is what I perceived. Once past the crest, then smooth again. BTW, when Autopilot is locked into a car ahead and you reach a hill crest, it is not jittery, needed to mention this. OK to NG

I may be wrong on this but it appears that speed limit recognition is not just visual camera but may also be ascertained now by GPS?
It knew the entrance ramp speed was 40 and the turnpike was 55 way before I came to a 55 MPH speed sign. NICE

Media Player... I can totally live with it the ways it is... I have about 500 FLACs on a USB. At first virtually none of them displayed the album covers.... NG but then, on the way home I noticed more often than not the album covers were displayed. Went back to the George Ezra "Budapest" track and sure enough it was displayed but this AM it was not displayed... it must be gathering or learning in the background. NICE

Media Player.... I moved the sound stage back to between the rear seats and the front seats... for me and my FLACs this is best. NICE

The new TRIPS app for the instrument cluster (IC) is .... NICE I do like the ability to choose what is shown. NICE

After 20 minutes I am now used to the little APP icons being hidden.... NO PROBLEMO... do not use them too often anyhow. NICE

Noticed that when HVAC is off that the TEMPS settings at the lower or bottom of the center display are for the most part dark.... another visual cue that the HVAC is off. NICE

Noticed that the seat heater icons at the lower part of the center display are new and show seat heater activity in a new way... SO WHAT?

Noticed that when in RANGE MODE and you open up the details to the HVAC controls it clearly stated RANGE MODE IS ON... NICE

I was not in any way limited by speed in Autopilot when on a divided highway... at a posted 55 MPH I was able to increment to 60, 65 and 70 MPH.... did not go past that as traffic would not allow this. NICE

ALL settings that I had previously on 7.1 were essentially maintained. Persistence is NICE.

I am happy.... NICE

Last edited:
Just to shorten the wait time in Europe (not 1 car has 8.0 now, the only one swiss car was rolled back to 7.1)
a bit statistics about the rollout so far:

day 1 (3% received 2.36.106)
day 2 (12% received 2.36.108, which ist still the actual version)
day 3 ( 5%)
day 4 (3%)
day 5 (14%) and still hours to go (ev-fw seems to work with Connecticut time zone)
==========
35% are on 2.36.108 (99% over Wifi)

The selection seems to be random, every Model S (not X) with and without autopilot.

Source: http://ev-fw.com (8.0 counts against a total of 570 in 7.1 2.36.31)

Last edited:
Observations of 8.0 after 25 miles...

First off, to me the connectivity between the iPhone Tesla App and my Model S is much improved... much quicker for the app to get a connection to the S. NICE

The Navigation map auto zooms into a greater detailed map when you leave a turnpike or freeway and near the end of an exit ramp... NICE

Like the fact that the street name you are on is shown in a light grey (to Me Color Challenged) box in a horizontal fashion at the bottom of the map... NICE

The Browser APP appears to be faster bit a bit.... I run the Wind Speed app in it often and it was Snappy quick... NICE

My beloved SUMMON worked perfectly with one oddity.... I have my S set up to have the side mirrors folded in when locked... A visual cue as it were... well when I SUMMONED the S out of the garage, Summon first opened or unfolded the mirrors and then folded them back in before backing out of the garage... I have not tested this a second time... but that is not good. NICE on Summon working NOT SO NICE on flapping side mirrors....

Autopilot felt smooth with one exception, that is when nearing the crest of a rise or small hill on a divided freeway with no auto ahead of you. When nearing the top of the hill the autopilot lane keeping felt just a bit jittery... perhaps my imagination but that is what I perceived. Once past the crest, then smooth again. BTW, when Autopilot is locked into a car ahead and you reach a hill crest, it is not jittery, needed to mention this. OK to NG

I may be wrong on this but it appears that speed limit recognition is not just visual camera but may also be ascertained now by GPS?
It knew the entrance ramp speed was 40 and the turnpike was 55 way before I came to a 55 MPH speed sign. NICE

Media Player... I can totally live with it the ways it is... I have about 500 FLACs on a USB. At first virtually none of them displayed the album covers.... NG but then, on the way home I noticed more often than not the album covers were displayed. Went back to the George Ezra "Budapest" track and sure enough it was displayed but this AM it was not displayed... it must be gathering or learning in the background. NICE

Media Player.... I moved the sound stage back to between the rear seats and the front seats... for me and my FLACs this is best. NICE

The new TRIPS app for the instrument cluster (IC) is .... NICE I do like the ability to choose what is shown. NICE

After 20 minutes I am now used to the little APP icons being hidden.... NO PROBLEMO... do not use them too often anyhow. NICE

Noticed that when HVAC is off that the TEMPS settings at the lower or bottom of the center display are for the most part dark.... another visual cue that the HVAC is off. NICE

Noticed that the seat heater icons at the lower part of the center display are new and show seat heater activity in a new way... SO WHAT?

Noticed that when in RANGE MODE and you open up the details to the HVAC controls it clearly stated RANGE MODE IS ON... NICE

I was not in any way limited by speed in Autopilot when on a divided highway... at a posted 55 MPH I was able to increment to 60, 65 and 70 MPH.... did not go past that as traffic would not allow this. NICE

ALL settings that I had previously on 7.1 were essentially maintained. Persistence is NICE.

I am happy.... NICE
I like!

I know I am not the only one left not to receive the update, just getting really annoying to see waves of people get it and talk about their experiences, without being able to try myself. I've always received updates within two days of their launch. I bet like others it feels hopeless. Please 8.0 arrived. I guess it's true, a watched pot never boils. Would think Tesla would want AP cars to get the update very quick for safety concerns.

We might be getting a little off-topic here...but no worse that all the other crap I've been posting -- especially my whining about not getting 8.0 yet. Flame me if you must.

The Airport Extreme is basically an access point -- not really a router. Presumably you have a device from your ISP that provides an external IP address and ethernet plugs that will be on your local intranet. This is your router and it acts as a gateway for your Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is now acting like an access point providing wifi for your home, but it's not a router because all of the traffic destined for locations outside your home will go through the gateway / router to get there. In a normal home network, the router is the device that sits between your internal network and the internet. The Airport Extreme is only accessible inside your internal network (in the general case).

By the way....still no 8.0 here.
Depends pretty heavily on setup. Most of the time when you're using a home router separate from whatever modem/router your provider gives you, you set up the provider's router in bridge mode. This provides your router direct access to the outside world. Otherwise you've got dual-NAT issues and stuff to deal with. You could set up your personal router in AP mode and let the provider's box do the routing, but I don't think that's the most common setup.

In any case, the update for my classic was 211MB +-5MB (its typical daily usage). It started downloading at 2pm and I got the notification at 8:30pm yesterday.

Interestingly, the day before that I had abnormally high upstream of 9MB, about 10 times higher than average. Maybe preparation for the update, or a push of the logs to Tesla before the update occurred.

Okay so I just updated, can't really comment much on the new UI since I need to spend some time with it before I can say whether or not I think it's an improvement or otherwise...

The one bugaboo I do have is I STILL can't see my HVAC status like you could pre 7.0... I don't understand why that's so freaking hard for Tesla to bring back... Minor annoyance but I was hopeful...

I like the new battery display, FWIW... :)

Jeff

I agree in almost every respect with the Nice, Nice, Nice! But AP does seem more jittery to me in some situations. First, it has always felt like there was a bias when in the left lane to be closer to the right side of the lane. I have chalked them up to my many years of driving in a way the unconsciously biases towards the left side (freedom!), so actually travelling down the center of the lane makes it seem like I am off to the right. However, looking at the toy car, it does actually seem to sometimes agree, and the car dances around more than it did previously. More importantly, it does seem to see when someone to the right is riding the left line, and then adjusts left to compensate. However, what drives me nuts, is that I won't be completely past the encroacher before the car starts drifting back right again, and it seems like I'm going to bump them. This happens more when alongside a lane hogging big rig or similar, which by the time my wheels pass the trailer and the vehicle no longer shows up in the virtual lane, I start veering towards the cab. Very disconcerting.

Finally, the behavior of the sonar display on the IC seems to much better reflect real life around the car. It always seemed somewhat strange on the margins, but now seems to work well.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
Would think Tesla would want AP cars to get the update very quick for safety concerns.

It's really tricky. On one hand, the new version brings significant safety updates that they want to get out there as quickly as possible. On the other hand, the new version might bring catastrophic bugs. This gradual rollout seems to be their attempt to get it out reasonably quickly but still be able to catch catastrophic bugs before all 100,000+ cars get them.

Just got the update notice while driving with my phone tethered for wifi access. This is the first time I've received an update at any time other than overnight, so I can only presume they are pushing this update out hard today.

I immediately pulled into the nearest parking lot and started the update. Screw patience.

Good luck everyone. I'll post my two cents as an avid daily AP user who is deeply concerned with nags ASAP.

Hopefully that closest parking lot wasn't in a sketchy neighborhood...as you know, your car can't move during a software update. :eek:

Bruce.

Just to shorten the wait time in Europe (not 1 car has 8.0 now, the only one swiss car was rolled back to 7.1)
a bit statistics about the rollout so far:

day 1 (3% received 2.36.106)
day 2 (12% received 2.36.108, which ist still the actual version)
day 3 ( 5%)
day 4 (3%)
day 5 (12%) and still 8 hours to go (ev-fw seems to work with Connecticut time zone)
==========
32% are on 2.36.108 (99% over Wifi)

The selection seems to be random, every Model S (not X) with and without autopilot.

Source: http://ev-fw.com (8.0 counts against a total of 570 in 7.1 2.36.31)

Seems like a waste since you are relying on self reporting when a site like Teslafi shows actual results. Although it looks like the percentage is close enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.PNG
    IMG_0066.PNG
    224.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore