Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the moderators:

I just noticed that a thread in Dutch about Firmware 8.0 from the Belgium and the Netherlands subforum got merged with this main thread in English about 8.0.

This however seems unwarranted to me in this case, as we were having discussions in Dutch about the firmware which not only will not be understood by many other members but has also completely broken our conversations.

While I understand why (to curb the flurry of FW8.0 threads) and possibly how this was done, I would like to ask for the thread to be split out again if possible.

Greetings, Ivo Grijt.

Kan hier iets aan gedaan worden? Wat posten die USA guys veel, te veel, iedere minuut….HELP!
Draad maar sluiten en opnieuw beginnen?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
A feature of 8.0 I've not seen noted yet - using PHONE as your audio source is kept between trips.

I use my phone almost exclusively as my audio source. In 7.x, every time I got in the car, I had to select my phone as the audio source. In 8.0, I no longer have to do that. I can get in the car, press the left wheel to restart playing on my podcast, and go about my merry way.

The release notes say it's set to 40 Celsius which is pretty high and I would not let a pet or child in that high of a temperature. I
You aren't supposed to. If you leave a kid or a pet in the car, you should turn the air conditioning on and set it to the temperature you want. The purpose of the feature is so that if you forget to do that, the kid or pet won't die. I think it's probably the right decision for them to have made given the constraints. Consider the alternative: They could have made the set point much lower, say 80F. I'm pretty sure the first time I came back to a battery that had been depleted to 20% to keep my completely empty car nice and comfy, I would utter bad words and disable the feature. And what's the point of a safety feature that's disabled? Presumably 105F was chosen to be high enough that the likelihood of gratuitously depleting the battery is low, while still being low enough to prevent loss of life. That's all it has to do to be a success. They don't mention, but as an additional benefit it should help protect the car itself and its inanimate contents -- I once had to (expensively) replace an auto-dimming mirror that had blown out when I left my Audi in the sun for a few days. The LCD had visibly ruptured internally.

In another conversation, someone pointed out it would make sense for the smartphone app to alert you if cabin overheat protection becomes active. Maybe that would be enough to make the hypothetical Mr. Forgetful smack himself in the head, say "doh!", enable comfortable air conditioning through the smartphone app, and rush back to the car to rescue Fido or Junior. It would be interesting if somebody in a hot climate who has received 8.0 would report back on how it works in practice.

By the way, does the Model S/X have an internal motion sensor? If it does, possibly that could be used to select a lower set point, and/or to make the notification more urgent. They could use the seat weight sensors too. Not sure if there are any other instruments they could use to determine if the cabin was occupied, I can't think of any. If the determination of occupancy was very accurate they could even use it to roll down (or at least crack) the windows when the battery hit 20%, instead of just letting the temperature climb at that point. I wouldn't be pleased by my car rolling down its windows on a false positive though.

Reactions: Yuri_G
Finally received mine about 11am today. First one ever that didn't come in the dead of the night. Other than AP improvements which I can't wait to try out, I think the biggest plus for me is the addition of all those podcasts! No more having to scroll through my phone and stream. Yay! Thanks to the rest of you early beneficiaries for the excellent screenshots and reviews. I now have a lot more knowledge without having to get bogged down in the notes myself.

Finally received mine about 11am today. First one ever that didn't come in the dead of the night. Other than AP improvements which I can't wait to try out, I think the biggest plus for me is the addition of all those podcasts! No more having to scroll through my phone and stream. Yay! Thanks to the rest of you early beneficiaries for the excellent screenshots and reviews. I now have a lot more knowledge without having to get bogged down in the notes myself.

Congrats, Jenn. Enjoy!

Reactions: JenniferQ
Pause & Resume: Of the combinations I’ve tried thus far, there is GREAT IMPROVEMENT here at last. REJOICE …especially you audiobook and Podcast-on-a-USB fans! Examples:
  • Play a USB track. Get out of your MS while it’s playing. Allow MS to go OFF. Get back in, and the track picks up playing within a second or two WHERE IT LEFT OFF!
  • Play a USB track. Pause. Get out of your MS. Allow MS to go OFF. Get back in, and the track REMAINS PAUSED. When you press play, it picks up playing from where it was, just as you would expect it should.

Thanks for testing this. Regarding leaving the car overnight (you might have referred to this as 'phantom playing', will the car keep the track paused, or at least in the same place when you come out the next morning? Both for scheduled and unscheduled charging? Question is for both BertL and for any other that can test.

Thanks for a very thorough breakdown. And thank you for highlighting both the improvements and the deficiencies in USB playback. I too, am a heavy/exclusive USB audio user.

One thing I have noticed with the new firmware 8.0 is that my car now seems to be more freaked out in my garage. Proximity sensors go a bit more crazy than they used to.

I have a 2-car tandem garage, so it's a tight fit. Firmware 7.1 used to just give me somewhat steady beeps telling me I'm super close to the wall. Firmware 8.0 now beeps a little more frequently, telling me STOP STOP STOP whenever I pull out to leave for the day, or when I back in when arriving home.

I'm going to assume it's a result of the new radar implementation?

• Slacker appears to by default be logged-in to the free Tesla account. I tried putting in my Tesla credentials, but the sign-in screen never completed and just stayed with a spinning wheel. I also am not able to sign-in to my free personal Slacker account as the vehicle says it's invalid — I’ll have to work on that.
Same here. Can't log in to Slacker (although it appears to be using the Tesla account).

Up to 58% of reporting US owners now have 8.0. I'm leaving the office in about an hour with a quick drive through my local service center geofence 2 miles from home while tethered to my phone. If that doesn't do it -- I'm going back to the magic 8 ball, and possibly the Tesla Rain dance. Come on, Elon. Make it rain in Oregon.

Reactions: DÆrik
Received 8.0 on my fully equipped early-build U.S. S90D via home WiFi this morning. It took about 1 hr 10 mins to install. For those that can deal with a l-o-n-g post and love bulletined lists, here's my first impressions:
  • All controls and settings moved across untouched, except for Slacker/TuneIn logon credentials (see below)
  • Others have discussed AP, so I won’t. I’m taking a several hundred mile road trip beginning in a couple days and will give that a real spin then.
    • FWIW, AP Autosteer and Summon remain noted as Beta functions in the menu system
  • Nav. I’ll also defer to others at this point until I have more practical experience with it, except to say:
    • I appreciate the effort attempting to provide more real estate for true map display
    • You can now optionally avoid ferries and/or toll roads. There are no other new routing options.
    • Trip Planner remains in Beta
    • I have not yet been able to test if there is better contrast at night to clearly see street names. I’m hopeful, as the previous colored bubbles were too close to the text color, making it very hard for me to read them at lower display intensity.
  • I very much like the new Controls / Controls / Trips ability to specify what you want displayed on the IC
  • UI - It’s OK. As I’ve said, it’s very subjective, so for 1000 people, there will be 1000 opinions.
    • I’m fine with the disappearing CID menu bar that provides more real estate for Nav. I still have my precious digital clock in the IC, or I’d have a very different opinion. ;)
    • My primary concern remains that Tesla has left speed, TACC/AP/important idiot lights at the top of the display. As discussed elsewhere, unlike 6.2, Tesla’s 7.x/8.0 choice is ergonomically horrible for some of us and becomes a safety concern not being able to see all important status information while having our steering wheel in a comfortable location.
    • I have a pano, and yes, there is still an option on the right steering wheel dial to control it
    • Voice Commands. Remains oriented towards basic Nav and streaming media -- nothing else
      • I really like the simpler push, talk and see what MS thought you said on the right-side of the IC approach
      • …and no, as someone upthread asked, you still can’t say something like “Call Mary Jane at work” to immediately dial that number if there is a work and home number assigned to the single contact. 8.0 pulls up a pick list.
      • I’m not yet bought-in on the “immediate dial” feature, as twice in my brief tests, it misunderstood me and dialed a very odd contact on the other end I had to scramble to cancel
  • Calendar has exited Beta at last. There is also what I perceive as a new “Last update: time” if you touch the “i” button to see when your MS last updated the data -- at least I don't remember that being there before -- maybe it was. I know someone will correct me.
  • Homelink had also exited Beta. I actually like the single ding it provides when it transmits an open or close signal,, although if I was being nit-picky, a different even softer tone would be even better.
    • It worked perfectly for me opening and closing my garage door without changing anything from previous release
  • For those that care, the new Cabin Overheat Protection can only be turned on or off (defaults on) via Controls / Setting / Vehicle / Climate
    • I would think that once 8.1 arrives, depending how much variation Tesla allows with setting lower/upper temp limits, the combination may then satisfy some people’s (not mine) desire of “camper mode”
  • Media Player. As others have suggested, my impression is this is to a large degree, a new UI skin over the underlying troubled legacy code base. USB had notable changes for the good and bad (see below). For those that are into streaming music, the look/feel is very oriented to what you’re likely used to and probably love.
    • Yes, no CarPlay and Android Auto support, but I didn’t expect it either ;)
    • The USB plugs still just provide power, nothing else when I tested it with my iPhone 7.
    • Dolby. I need to spend some more time with this, but I’m not picking up any further improvements from what some of us perceived was delivered with one or more of the last 7.1 drops.
    • Equalizer. A new graphical interface, but appears to be the same underlying capabilities as before.
    • AM. No major changes.
    • FM. Gracenotes album art is gone. Stations that deliver it, now display a station graphic (not album art) behind it’s favorites icon.
    • SiriusXM received a bit of an improvement to find stations by category. Otherwise it appears to be the same functionality.
    • Streaming (Slacker). I’m not a big user, but…
      • Track art is still displayed
      • Credentials are located by making the Slacker menu full-screen, then scrolling to the bottom of the upper section of the display
      • Slacker appears to by default be logged-in to the free Tesla account. I tried putting in my Tesla credentials, but the sign-in screen never completed and just stayed with a spinning wheel. I also am not able to sign-in to my free personal Slacker account as the vehicle says it's invalid — I’ll have to work on that.
    • TuneIn. I’m not a big user, but…
      • Podcast art is still displayed
      • Credentials are located at the bottom of the display. It appears to also be logged-in to the free Tesla account by default. I logged-in successfully to my personal TuneIn account as well and listened to a podcast. No issues.
    • Media Search works across only Streaming & TuneIn either via typing or voice command, with an ability to specify in the interface if e.g. you want to only use the search term against say, "Albums" and a few other things.
    • Phone (Formerly “Bluetooth”).
      • It works like before displaying a list of MS-paired bluetooth devices. Select one, like my iPhone 7, and the current track the Music App on your device was playing came across the MS speakers, with basic track info AND the album art I have tagged as part of the tracks in my iTunes library displayed on the MS. Back/Pause/Play/Forward remain controllable via MS methods. I did not try any other music apps but see no reason why they too wouldn’t continue to operate.
    • USB. Some positive improvements, but IMHO we took some significant steps back for those of us that primarily use USB music when enjoying our MS.
      • I’m new to it, but what works as the new “Streaming UI”, initially appears a lot more challenging to relate with USB trying to go back and forth selecting and playing songs, albums, folders, etc. Try it for awhile and you’ll see.
      • FAT and FAT32 remain supported
      • I successfully tried both 128 and 256GB USB sticks of multiple mfgrs, so physical size does not appear to have changed
      • I successfully tried a USB folder structure where the track was 3-deep. I’ll leave it to someone that cares more than I, to test how far scanning will now go.
      • The interface will now display USB device volume labels if you have them, instead of the USB1/USB2 indicators we’ve always seen until now
        • The media selection menu now shows the GB used and number of songs on each USB device
        • BUG REPORT: Oddly, I have an Apple certified Lighting cable plugged into “USB1” with nothing on the other end, and it appears as “EFT” with 200MB Used and 0 Songs. Weird.
      • During initial USB device scan, the interface now shows % complete. I personally like that better than the bar that sometimes got stuck in the previous interface.
      • M4A, MP3, AIFF and FLAC all played back, so I assume nothing has changed with supported file types
      • The interface correctly eliminates M4V Video, PDFs, etc during scan — however, most notably, M4A Apple Lossless tracks are scanned, then show up in the counts and lists, but upon selecting one to play, receive a “Loading Error”. (Continued workaround is to convert these filetypes to FLAC and Media Player will be happy.)
      • No, there is no new (and unexpected) M3U Playlist support in 8.0, so just get over it ;)
      • No, there is no new gapless playback capability either ;)
      • Pause & Resume: Of the combinations I’ve tried thus far, there is GREAT IMPROVEMENT here at last. REJOICE …especially you audiobook and Podcast-on-a-USB fans! Examples:
        • Play a USB track. Get out of your MS while it’s playing. Allow MS to go OFF. Get back in, and the track picks up playing within a second or two WHERE IT LEFT OFF!
        • Play a USB track. Pause. Get out of your MS. Allow MS to go OFF. Get back in, and the track REMAINS PAUSED. When you press play, it picks up playing from where it was, just as you would expect it should.
      • NEW + BUG REPORT: Imbedded Album Art now appears to be displayed when a track is played (that’s GREAT), and as an icon on Album/Song tags, but I’m finding it inconsistent.
        • There can be a notable delay (several minutes) for some art to display, as I suspect as a lower priority, the firmware has to go out to the physical track, pull in and resize it if it’s not already cached. I can live with that, even though it's a bit unusual at first.
        • I know my test tracks are compliant with imbedded art that works with iTunes, iOS Media Player, a number of other apps and via Bluetooth to my MS, but I’ve already found some will not display in the native Tesla USB interface even after several minutes of waiting. IDK yet what that issue may be — but I suspect the new interface is not handling some of the art that it believes is too big or we’ve got a new and different sort of memory constraint issue with this redesign.
      • NEW BUG: I suspect Tesla has knowingly or unknowingly imposed a yet-to-be-documented limit on the number of tracks the USB media will support, or 8.0 firmware is reacting differently with larger libraries. WARNING TO THOSE WITH LARGE USB MUSIC LIBRARIES OR WHO REGULARLY SWITCH USB STICKS WITH ANY SUBSTANTIAL NUMBER OF TRACKS.
        • I’ve got to spend a lot more time on this one day, but my existing stick of 6100 tracks, that worked well with 7.1, really does not with 8.0. The issue is, where initial scanning was a 15-20 min process when my USB stick was inserted or the CID was rebooted in 7.x, after 1 hour doing the same with 8.0, it’s not even 80% complete with the initial scan. The scanning process also appears at some point to become exponentially slower the more tracks that are scanned (it took 15 minutes to go from 68%-78%), indicating perhaps some memory constraints or leakage. Regardless, until Tesla resolves this, if I want to use USB, I have little choice but to substantially reduce the number of tracks to get scan time back down to something within reason.
      • NEW BUG/REQUIREMENT: Access via Songs (Tracks). The alpha-index shortcut is gone, making scrolling intolerable if you have any number of tracks, esp since there is no search capability.
      • Access via Genre. Works OK as it did in 7.x.
      • Access via Artist. IMHO it’s still broken. Tesla uses the (track) Artist tag, which is horrible for compilations and tracks with multiple artists. Without providing a true search against USB devices and tags, Tesla IMHO should instead use the Album Artist tag which would allow this to at least be functional. (Workaround is to use TeslaTunes to put Album Artist in the track Artist tags on every track.)
      • Access by Folder. Works OK as it did in 7.x.
      • OTHER 7.x BUGS I have not yet explored if they still exist or not:
        • USB Phantom Playing
        • Studdering
  • TMC Requirements - Fall 2015. Scanning through the Top 25 Wish List that nearly 300 folks here on TMC created and prioritized last Fall, I find only 1 of the first 25 suggestions is partially addressed in 8.0. 8.1 may add to that with implementing “camper mode”. As such, it unfortunately appears Tesla did not use this input in any substantial way nearly 1 year after it was provided to them.
    • #11. We did get the ability in 8.0 Nav to include/remove toll roads, but not the more complete requirement for road preferences.

Again, I’m appreciative of the free updates and new capabilities 8.0 provides. This new radar-biased TACC/AP for those of us with “AP Hardware V1” appears to have real promise, and I like that some effort has been expended on Infotainment. Thank you, Tesla.

…but I remain disappointed that Tesla has again not also provided more improvements to less technical functionality that real customers continue requesting and use in their everyday (non-AP) lives. We really do need a better balance of visionary features WITH real Customer needs and desires — and USB support that works for more than a few hundred tracks, please!
A few more USB tidbits:

8.0 appears to have FIXED the long-standing issue with multi-volume albums whereby if you played the tracks by Album, Media Player played the tracks in numerical sequence interleaving the volumes together, e.g. Vol 1: 1, Vol 2: 1, Vol 1: 2, Vol 2: 2... Now, via Album, while the new interface does not display the track number itself, the tracks will play in proper sequential order, e.g. Vol 1: 1, 2, 3... Vol 2: 1, 2, 3. Thank you, Tesla. (For those of you using TeslaTunes, you can uncheck that option to produce a workaround.)
Note: The Album display at least for me is visually challenging to comprehend in a quick glance with the multi-column format, and no displayed track numbers, but I have verified the displayed sequential play order is left-to-right, top-down, just like you're reading a book.​

NEW BUG w/ WORKAROUND: Strange things can happen if you are playing USB media and pull out your USB device. E.g. Once you plug a USB device back in, the USB Play button does not always reappear even after scanning, and back/forward track buttons on either side don't accomplish the task. IMHO, the easiest workaround is to switch to another media source, then back to USB and the player will enable the buttons for proper use again with your new USB device.

NEW BUG w/ WORKAROUND: I previously reported about an unused USB Port with only a USB Cable that was displaying "EFI" as the volume name, with 200MB of space used and 0 songs. I didn't know for sure at the time if that was some odd feature as-designed, or a bug. I now suspect it is a bug, since the workaround is to reboot the CID (Hold down the Brake Pedal, and press left + right control wheel until the Tesla T appears on the CID). When you return to the USB menu, no odd device is then reported in the empty USB port, only physical devices that are plugged-in.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and TFHutch