Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the notification this morning here in Bozeman, MT. and downloaded it before breakfast. I was having trouble with getting any music to play and did a reboot of the central display and all is groovy! My car detected a bicyclist for the first time, the bike was riding on the right side of a frontage road, the car slowed slightly when it was first detected and then it turned it into a motorcycle icon on my 10 inch display. Also, The car is definitely seeing 2 cars ahead on a consistent basis.

One thing I really want someday is large animal detection at night. Since that requires a FLIR sensor on the front of the car so I don't know that we will ever get it. We have way more animals to hit than people in the state of Montana and both Audi and Mercedes have night vision detection that can see an animal off the side of the road, at night and warn the driver to slow or where to look to see deer, moose, bison, elk, bear or wolves. (I had a wolf jump out in front of my car in Yellowstone last September during the blood red moon, I have never felt more intimidated by an animal in my life, I must have checked my windows 20 times to make sure they were rolled up!) I think that will be a major safety improvement if we can ever get large animal detection. I'll drive a little after work tonight before the debate to check out more features and probably go for another ride after the debate to clear my head :)

Reactions: Lex
Selectively quoting only the parts I'm commenting on...
I may be wrong on this but it appears that speed limit recognition is not just visual camera but may also be ascertained now by GPS? It knew the entrance ramp speed was 40 and the turnpike was 55 way before I came to a 55 MPH speed sign. NICE
I think you're wrong about it's being new. Under 7.1 my car has "known" on an on-ramp, before any 65 signs encountered, that I was entering a 65mph limit freeway. In fact it "forgot" for a few days, and I was so spoiled that I posted a lament on the forum.
I was not in any way limited by speed in Autopilot when on a divided highway... at a posted 55 MPH I was able to increment to 60, 65 and 70 MPH.... did not go past that as traffic would not allow this. NICE
This is also not new. The 5-over limitation has been applied only on non-divided roads.
ALL settings that I had previously on 7.1 were essentially maintained. Persistence is NICE.
For me, I'm pretty sure that Summon :: Require Continuous Press reset to Yes.

• TMC Requirements - Fall 2015. Scanning through the Top 25 Wish List that nearly 300 folks here on TMC created and prioritized last Fall, I find only 1 of the first 25 suggestions is partially addressed in 8.0. 8.1 may add to that with implementing “camper mode”. As such, it unfortunately appears Tesla did not use this input in any substantial way nearly 1 year after it was provided to them.
    • #11. We did get the ability in 8.0 Nav to include/remove toll roads, but not the more complete requirement for road preferences.
Great post. I played with 8.0 for about 20 minutes yesterday, and I still learned a lot from your findings. I'm generally disappointed with the USB handling. I'm pretty sad we got a nice, new, unified search and it explicitly excludes local music. The music. It's RIGHT THERE. Search it! Worse, we also lost the alphabet shortcuts. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of the media capabilities of the car, and while I do appreciate and like most aspects of the new interface, this actually feels like a step backward. And, unfortunately, we were already in a pretty bad spot compared to just about any other new car on the road.

I also find it concerning that essentially none of the Wish List got addressed. Tesla sounded receptive, but clearly wasn't incentivized to correct/add them. It would appear all hands are still on Autopilot (and redesigning the UI over and over), to the detriment of everything else.

I really love the new font. I find it much clearer and easier to read. I also believe the font in the IC is larger when I have "trips" and "usage" showing there which is what I usually like there.

I tried AP on a wonderfully smooth curvy two-lane road that I love to drive (kept hands on the wheel, of course) and it managed beautifully! I was very surprised and elated at what the new settings are capable of. I found lane changing on the freeway to be also much more confident and responsive, although she did change lanes much closer to the rear of a Prius than I ever would have!

... although she did change lanes much closer to the rear of a Prius than I ever would have!
Yikes I guess we need to not signal a lane change if not comfortable doing the maneuver immediately. And I'm already pretty impressed with the latest 7.1's ability to open up that lane quickly when it sees it.

I was thinking the other day while on my long drive if it would be possible for the indicators to be supressed until the AP was happy to change lanes.. but I imagine that since it is a safety system it is not software controllable.

Yikes I guess we need to not signal a lane change if not comfortable doing the maneuver immediately. And I'm already pretty impressed with the latest 7.1's ability to open up that lane quickly when it sees it.

I was thinking the other day while on my long drive if it would be possible for the indicators to be supressed until the AP was happy to change lanes.. but I imagine that since it is a safety system it is not software controllable.

I would rather have a slight visual cue that tells me at any given time whether or not the car is willing to change into either lane. That would prevent me from having to dumbly put the blinkers on for a long period of time just to test whether or not the car's gonna move over.

Autopilot updates are the biggest thing I'm looking forward to because of the amount of driving I do for my commute (Laguna Hills to Santa Monica). The radar changes will be great for the safety of that drive.
I'm with you, alexdav. I'm still waiting (patiently, but anxiously) and can't wait to experience the new AP updates. Like you, I have a long daily commute of over an hour. AP has been a god-send for me and I'm looking forward to the new-and-improved version.

Regarding the loss of the USB song alpha search capability, it just dawned on me that in my case if I know the song name I also know the Artist.... There is under USB a way to bring up the Artist list in alphabetical order which are on the USB. Then if you touch the artist you see all their songs.... Perhaps this can be a workaround?

Regarding the loss of the USB song alpha search capability, it just dawned on me that in my case if I know the song name I also know the Artist.... There is under USB a way to bring up the Artist list in alphabetical order which are on the USB. Then if you touch the artist you see all their songs.... Perhaps this can be a workaround?
Not so much, because the artist, album, etc is also not indexed or alpha-tabbed.