Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another great example of how we all like something different. I prefer rear camera on top and alternate between waze and media on the bottom. By having the camera lock to the top, this helps me keep my eyes on the road longer by shortening the arranging process to one click instead of 3-4.

As I thought earlier (perhaps in the 8.0 for Classics thread though), IMO, it would have been better if Tesla simply let us "lock" one app to its location, and then taps would load in the other slot (drag to slot would override the lock). This would give US the control of which app is locked and in which slot. Maybe we want the Media app locked and replace Nav or Camera with the Energy app instead (this is actually what I do since it means the Energy app is "closer" to the windshield and my eyes have to travel less to read what I'm looking for) -- giving us control of which app is locked would allow that.

Last edited:
So even if when first turning the fan manually below 4 and it automatically switching to fresh air instead of recirc, you cannot then turn back on recirc without it forcing an increase to speed 4? I just want to make sure I am clear that it is "NOT POSSIBLE" vs. "requires more steps now".

Yup. This is one of the most frustrating changes in 8.0, especially because there's seemingly no explanation for it. I drive on the freeway a TON and like to have the A/C running with the fan anywhere from 1-3. But recirculation is essential as otherwise I start to smell the fumes from all the cars on the freeway. :/

Yup. This is one of the most frustrating changes in 8.0, especially because there's seemingly no explanation for it. I drive on the freeway a TON and like to have the A/C running with the fan anywhere from 1-3. But recirculation is essential as otherwise I start to smell the fumes from all the cars on the freeway. :/

This is basically my use case. Except for when it is raining/snowing, I have recirc on (manually). After the initial cooldown, the sun beating down on me is strong than the cooldown of 1 or 2 at my 68* setting. Thus, most of the time, I have it set on manual 3 except for when I first get in the car (and preconditioning uses full Auto btw). On manual 4, I get cold during my drive. On manual 3, I go days before I need to tweak my HVAC settings. At this point, I have had the clock for days, but I'm not clicking accept.

Sounds like you have "The Jukebox from Hell" there.... sometimes scale works against you no matter how you prep for it.
Pretty unwieldy... not a criticism but rather an observation. I have my tunes on 3 32GB USBs in a switched port harmonica. Choose one of the USB's per day and run on shuffle.... always surprised.... directory is quickly built in perhaps under a minute... that's how I roll and it works great for me. Obviously your use case is different I suspect. Given the state of affairs... it may be prudent to prep your music in a similar fashion? It's like a box of chocolates.... ;-)

BTW, I think Tesla's media search function submits the search string to the "cloud"... perhaps that is why the USB is and will probably never be searchable... whatever "service" is doing the search is not aware of what is on our USB's or Phones etc.

What we need is a smart USB stick / appliance with voice recognition that does the search and presents the results to the Tesla media player as a subset of the whole media library.

So, I really appreciate the suggestion. Here is where I came from. I had an Empeg for 16 years in five different vehicles. It had a 266mhz arm processor and 16MB of RAM (that's megabytes). It could handle well into the 200GB range of music and 50k tracks before some 3rd party hackers had to start upgrading them to 32MB. It's literal limitation was the amount of hard drive storage you could add (2 x 2.5" IDE drives, the largest those ever got was 160GB I think).

All that to say I think the hardware limitation argument is bollocks. I understand that there is increased overhead due to media art information potentially (so allow for it to be turned off?). But it's just an all around disappointment to have something so central and integral to your driving experience, actively work against you for 2 years. When I found out that the Tesla couldn't do Playlists, I broke up my collection by genre to different storage volumes on the SSD hard drive (4 allowed per drive). This way, I get some semblance of playlist support. So to answer your question, it could be worse, everything could be on one volume!

I guess I'm still under the desire to want high-quality music, with no compromises as to what I can listen to. My collection is made up of stuff I already know I like. And we won't always have free access to cloud services on the Tesla (I super appreciate you providing it right now Tesla!), nor is adequate cell coverage a guarantee where I go. And as someone else mentioned, what if the content I would like to listen to isn't even available streaming? Audiobooks are a great example of that. One day I may want to listen to Harry Potter, then next day Issac Asimov.

So back to your suggestion, it's not a bad one. However, I'd rather not have to swap out 6 different USB sticks depending on what I want to listen to. That's exactly how it was with CD's, tapes, 8 tracks, just on a different scale. We are finally to the point where our technology can be sophisticated enough that it doesn't stand in our way or cause us pause. The rest of the car is basically like this, why can't the media and NAV system be this way as well?

The Media App improvements are like we made several big steps forward, including some much needed little steps in USB support, but then we took out alpha shortcuts and started arranging albums alphabetically, and it's like 1 big step back for USB. Someone suggested their testing didn't include anyone with large USB usage. Tesla: Please sign me up, I am part of that group that uses USB heavily and I'd really really like to help.

As I thought earlier (perhaps in the 8.0 for Classics thread though), IMO, it would have been better if Tesla simply let us "lock" one app to its location, and then taps would load in the other slot (drag to slot would override the lock). This would give US the control of which app is locked and in which slot. Maybe we want the Media app locked and replace Nav or Camera with the Energy app instead (this is actually what I do since it means the Energy app is "closer" to the windshield and my eyes have to travel less to read what I'm looking for) -- giving us control of which app is locked would allow that.
A "Lock to Top" icon/button would be a great solution. Then you could lock anything screen you wanted there.

Great idea. For 8.1!

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
Anyone figure out how to lock tool icon bar on top? I always use for garage, prefer clock and other small badges in black verses infront of map (or missing) I know some prefer new way but this should be an easy setting.
Map will auto hide those icons if at the top. Either move it to the bottom or replace it with something else. Sorry, no other workaround that we have right now.

Could the "seemingly no explanation for it" be related to the 105 degree heat safety feature?
Maybe they want to have a slow speed fan always circulate outside air to cool down the cabin instead of air conditioning.

Map will auto hide those icons if at the top. Either move it to the bottom or replace it with something else. Sorry, no other workaround that we have right now.

It wasn't clear to me what's the point of hiding some of the icons in that top row but not others. For example the clock stays but not the LTE/3G/WiFi signal strength, the door lock/unlock stays but not the Homelink. Having the Tesla T remain is turning into a pet peeve of mine, because it doesn't add much value, but I bet some ad wizard said "we *have* to have the Tesla logo somewhere on the screen".

I'm kind of -0 on autohiding the toolbar.

Bruce.

I think everyone needs to contact Tesla about your opinions and not just here. You are preaching to the choir here. If you want changes the people at Tesla needs to know and not just forum members.
You must be new here. There is no good way to:

A. Contact Tesla with this type of feedback AND know that your response has been heard by someone who can do something about it.

B. Receive feedback from Tesla that your particular suggestion is not alone and therefore if it is a priority.

C. Get a status update on if your suggestions are being considered and a general timeline of when you can expect that change to happen.

All that to this, we voted on a software improvement list last fall and those who participated in it are split on whether or not Tesla listened to those suggestions for inclusion in v8. You see, some suggestions were actually implemented, including naming USB inputs, passenger protection/camping mode, and avoid tolls. But that could also be coincidence.

So if anyone has a better idea, let us know.

Early in this thread, I read something about podcasts being much better. I have never really used podcasts due to difficulty in setting them up (more of a lack of motivation to really do it right). Is there a podcast feature that I am missing here? Is it via the phone? I would like to start doing this for one of my favorite talk shows and would like to see how people take advantage of this (I know, welcome to the 21st century...)

The pods that are "highlighted" in the featured TuneIn listings seem to work great with less need to buffer the whole episode before streaming, but anything that I search for in the "Anything" box seems to have a hard time and I'm getting "Loading error" messages. Anyone else?