Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the media player is more difficult to navigate, and is crippled for some.
For me the way I use the media player, the new version is much better than before.

I tend to listen to about 5 streaming stations (1 on tune in and 4 on slacker) and occasionally my phone. With the new interface, I set it to recent and can easily access all 5 of my favorites with a single tap, and if I want my phone, it's also just one tap away.

Check out a few posts upstream, including mine on the previous page for similar observations about veering into an adjoining lane.

I had truck lust with 7.1 so I'm not sure anything has changed.

I'm absolutely certain truck lust at some point will cause an accident. It's not just inattention, but I can easily see someone overcorrecting especially if they don't anticipate it. It's hard to anticipate.

I blame truck lust on the combination of two things.

A. ) When it loses the line it moves over to the right. In a situation with a big rig the line is next to the big rig so it basically slides into the big rig.
B.) The side monitoring is crap. So it doesn't always see the big rig to the side of you.

For me truck lust was a fairly rare occurrence with 7.1, and only occurred at night while driving at 80mph on I5 between Seattle, and Portland. For those not familiar with that stretch it's pretty much owned by semi trucks. You'll pass hundreds, and hundreds of them during the journey. So it gives the truck lust thing a good test.

With 8.0 I haven't experienced truck lust yet, but I've only driven that corridor once (400 miles total). The conditions for it to happen were likely not quite right. I did experience two AP brain farts which basically meant that it got squirrelly, but they were unrelated to truck lust. They happened when the IC suddenly showed the lines going everywhere within a few seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: Wanderer
IMHO, I consider the "white boarder flash" a new feature of 8.0 Autosteer that is a PRE-NOTICE to the true nag that will happen if no action is taken after the pre-notice is displayed. Only the true nag, which includes the chime, is potentially counted against the "three-strikes in an hour until you have to turn off your MS before Autosteer is re-enabled" warning.

This has not been my experience. Twice, on the first full day I had 8.0, my AP was disabled (had to pull over and put in park) without any audible warnings. I'm not saying that's how it's supposed to work, but that's what happened to me. I have mitigated the problem by changing my hand position on the wheel to a point where I'm applying more torque. I don't get any nags as long as I leave my hand there (roughly 10 o'clock position). It's not as comfortable, but it works. As for the general performance of auto-steer, 8.0 is not significantly different in my car than later versions of 7.1. Earlier versions of 7.1 were superior to both. I'm not getting the sharp swerve to the right that some are reporting, but my car loses the lanes at times when there is no obvious reason for it. This occurs on stretches of road that I drive every day and on which the car used to perform flawlessly. I think as they get more data feedback from the fleet using the radar as the primary sensor, AP performance will improve. Also, things are going to be in flux until the regulatory scheme catches up to the technology (which could be a while). I got a thumbs up from a guy on the highway yesterday that reminded me how happy I am to be able to take part in these discussions. Still really love my car.

• Informative
So, in a more net way, where am I with use of Autosteer 8.0 today? I had not really thought about it until your post, but I'd summarize like this:
  • Around town on the 45-55 MPH long stretches between lights around me, I may or may not use Autosteer completely dependent upon my mood -- nothing more specific than that
  • Stop-and-go freeway traffic is great -- there is always plenty of reaction time should some anomaly occur
  • Freeway speeds, I'm now a lot more wary with 8.0 than I was with 7.1:
    • not so much in wide open spaces with few other vehicles around (but having MS veer right at night in the middle of the desert going 75 MPH, on a very long and straight road with nothing around, IS startling to say the least)
    • in heavier traffic with many other vehicles -- especially big rigs -- if I want some sort of driver assistance, I almost always now drop back to TACC, trusting steering to only myself. The exception being if I put both hands on the wheel, Autosteer can be ON some times, but honestly, doing that takes more effort and stresses me out more than just driving myself because I'm even more alert to possible anomalies Autosteer may impose upon me at any time. Why would I do that? It's probably the x-geek part of me coming out and taking over, wanting this new tech to work. ;)
Hope that helps.
Thanks for a thorough reply! The irony is that when initial word of increased nags in 8.0 came out I was thinking of trying to refuse the new release for that reason. Then after reading more anecdotes of incidents with 7.1 I began using it with one hand on the wheel and changed my view on nags. But now I'm worried that the 8.0 version of AP needs some fine-tuning and a proper bug fix release to be safe. I think there have been about a dozen different reports on TMC of AP 8.0 behavior that it not good, and for me that's enough to cross the line between anecdotes and data. Now I'm thinking of being a refuser again, although only until these issues are addressed.

Thanks for a thorough reply! The irony is that when initial word of increased nags in 8.0 came out I was thinking of trying to refuse the new release for that reason. Then after reading more anecdotes of incidents with 7.1 I began using it with one hand on the wheel and changed my view on nags. But now I'm worried that the 8.0 version of AP needs some fine-tuning and a proper bug fix release to be safe. I think there have been about a dozen different reports on TMC of AP 8.0 behavior that it not good, and for me that's enough to cross the line between anecdotes and data. Now I'm thinking of being a refuser again, although only until these issues are addressed.
:D The challenge for you of course is, a future set of official "fix it" Release Notes will likely never acknowledge bugs or say some of the issues have been resolved, so you'll need to keep doing as you have ...join the fun keeping up with threads here on TMC for other folks' POV, then make that decision for yourself when to pull the trigger. The other consideration is if you're like me and don't really "need" Autosteer in daily driving, you could accept and pick up the newer changes for their good and bad, and just be wary as I will continue to be should I purposely turn Autosteer on. Driving the old-style way that millions have for decades still isn't so bad. Good luck with your decision!

This has not been my experience. Twice, on the first full day I had 8.0, my AP was disabled (had to pull over and put in park) without any audible warnings. I'm not saying that's how it's supposed to work, but that's what happened to me. I have mitigated the problem by changing my hand position on the wheel to a point where I'm applying more torque. I don't get any nags as long as I leave my hand there (roughly 10 o'clock position). It's not as comfortable, but it works. As for the general performance of auto-steer, 8.0 is not significantly different in my car than later versions of 7.1. Earlier versions of 7.1 were superior to both. I'm not getting the sharp swerve to the right that some are reporting, but my car loses the lanes at times when there is no obvious reason for it. This occurs on stretches of road that I drive every day and on which the car used to perform flawlessly. I think as they get more data feedback from the fleet using the radar as the primary sensor, AP performance will improve. Also, things are going to be in flux until the regulatory scheme catches up to the technology (which could be a while). I got a thumbs up from a guy on the highway yesterday that reminded me how happy I am to be able to take part in these discussions. Still really love my car.
Good to be reminded of that.
It was the best car on the road before AP was even released. Tesla is pioneering this technology, and we early adopters should keep the feedback coming, but shouldn't expect the cars to be as fault free as the more mundane brands.

To correct some rampant misinformation: When the system appears to "reboot" on it's own, this is not a reboot, this is a crash. The GUI is then restarted automatically. The underlying Linux OS is not rebooted in this case. Especially when this happens, I advise a full OS reboot (hold scroll wheels). Over time small errors, bugs, and memory leaks contribute to an unstable OS, and once the OS in unstable, the GUI gets slow and lagged, and will crash more often. I recommend a full reboot at least once every few weeks at this point. I reboot mine every week.

This is also similar to smartphones. I find my Android phone is faster and more responsive with a weekly reboot.

To correct some rampant misinformation: When the system appears to "reboot" on it's own, this is not a reboot, this is a crash. The GUI is then restarted automatically. The underlying Linux OS is not rebooted in this case. Especially when this happens, I advise a full OS reboot (hold scroll wheels). Over time small errors, bugs, and memory leaks contribute to an unstable OS, and once the OS in unstable, the GUI gets slow and lagged, and will crash more often. I recommend a full reboot at least once every few weeks at this point. I reboot mine every week.

This is also similar to smartphones. I find my Android phone is faster and more responsiverx with a weekly reboot.

Are you recommending rebooting both systems regularly, or just the MCU/center console?

This is also similar to smartphones. I find my Android phone is faster and more responsive with a weekly reboot.

What is this, Windows? One should never have to reboot their car just to do garbage collection or clear out stuck processes.

Reactions: RubberToe
What is this, Windows? One should never have to reboot their car just to do garbage collection or clear out stuck processes.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all OS's on the market are plagued to various degrees by this kind of thing. Can you leave one running for years? Possibly, but it's not going to work as well as one that's only been running for a few days. It's totally evident to anyone that does a before/after comparison.

Yeah, it would be nice if everything was super solid and never needed rebooting, but given how many different people and organizations are responsible for the whole package of hardware, OS, and software on a modern PC, Smartphone, and now cars, the sheer complexity leads to many thousands of small mistakes and programming errors that combine over time to create these issues.

Are you recommending rebooting both systems regularly, or just the MCU/center console?
The MCU is the box that contains the CID and the GW. There is no way to reboot the whole MCU short of cutting it's power. You can reboot the CID with the scroll wheel hold procedure, and you can reboot the IC with the 2 top steering wheel buttons. I recommend rebooting the CID at least every few weeks. If it makes it to a month, it's probably going to be sluggish and sometimes crashing often on it's own, but it will only continue to get worse until the OS is rebooted manually. The IC seems more reliable. It doesn't work as hard, so doesn't need a reboot as often, but have mine automatically reboot once a week along with my CID just because it's easy and then I have peace of mind.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all OS's on the market are plagued to various degrees by this kind of thing. Can you leave one running for years? Possibly

Most definitely. VxWorks embedded system ran for 1087 days in the longest stretch to date. Zero memory leaks. Highly reliable systems can be coded, it's just a matter of putting in the effort. Jet engine FADEC, nuclear plants, space shuttle avionics, Amazon cloud, are all good examples.

I'll agree with you that having thousands of users banging on different software configurations presents a challenge. Code can be instrumented to track down system resets. Tesla already gets data from the cars. I would be surprised if they didn't routinely collect software failure logs.

RT

Amazon cloud,

But does that even qualify? Amazon cloud has to be a massive number of individual servers, each of which is probably rebooted occasionally or on a schedule.

I've had many plain vanilla linux web servers up (without reboots) for many years without a problem. I had a bunch that even rolled over the 'uptime' figure because of a counter overflow. I woke up one morning to find most of my servers at just a few hours of uptime, but no evidence of any crashes or reboots. Turns out it was a jiffies counter overflow bug and reset them all to zero.

edit: The bug was at 497 days, but I've had these servers running for years. I rebooted the last one just last month with about a 5 year continuous uptime.

edit2: I still have one server with 913 days uptime, and another with 527.

Last edited:
But does that even qualify? Amazon cloud has to be a massive number of individual servers, each of which is probably rebooted occasionally or on a schedule.

I've had many plain vanilla linux web servers up (without reboots) for many years without a problem. I had a bunch that even rolled over the 'uptime' figure because of a counter overflow. I woke up one morning to find most of my servers at just a few hours of uptime, but no evidence of any crashes or reboots. Turns out it was a linux counter overflow bug and reset them all to zero.
Yep, Amazon and other providers reboot on a regular schedule and after every security update. SOP.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

This post, and the several posts that followed, were all extremely informative. Thank you. My only concern is that they will be lost in the noise of this thread (over 150 pages in just a few weeks). I assumed, incorrectly, that a crash of the UI was a reboot of the MCU. I imagine that many other drivers will also make that assumption. This item should definitely be kept in a sticky of "Tips and tricks" or something. Again, thank you.

Perhaps Tesla could incorporate a similar scheduled auto-reboot system. When and how is a whole other discussion (making popcorn now).

Reactions: Carl and Fiver