Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie question: Is there a way to accelerate the delivery of the update - i.e. reboot computer? I have seen some updates on European S with version 2.40.21 ... but it is not yet offered to my 1 week old car.
Thanks clemens5255

I once heard that Tesla gives priority to cars connected via WIFI, because it's a faster data transfer and probably saves Tesla some money versus sending it out via cell data network.

I once heard that Tesla gives priority to cars connected via WIFI, because it's a faster data transfer and probably saves Tesla some money versus sending it out via cell data network.
WLAN is enabled and I have accesses every minute (TeslaFi ?) ... signal is not strong :
TeslaWLANmonitoring.PNG

WLAN is enabled and I have accesses every minute (TeslaFi ?) ... signal is not strong :
View attachment 197977
There was lots of discussion on this in another thread recently. Besides connecting to WiFi which you've done, unfortunately you just need to be patient. There are many theories, but only Tesla knows the exact deployment scheme. It is not under Owner control.

My suggestion is keep your Tesla App running in the background, and hopefully you'll get a notification an update is ready for installation soon. Good luck!

As another poster already confirmed, yes. ...and your MS is still gonna occasionally wake up to check back with the mothership for other purposes, so it makes sense it would to both download and ready a new update for installation.

FWIW, I keep Always Connected Checked. My tests of all combinations of both energy options last Fall clearly showed it was less than 1 mi/day impact on my S90D to have near immediate response to occasionally check in with my MS via the Tesla App or Remote S, opposed to unchecking that option as you have, and perhaps having to wait several minutes for the MS to connect. (FWIW, by itself, Energy Savings OFF was +/-2 mi vampire impact/day -- I keep mine ON as you are.) It's your call certainly, and the options are there. It's just a couple of data points if you've not gone through the impact testing yourself.​
Requirements for Teslafi.com states to turn off always connected if you want the car to sleep.

The rear quarter panel is totally different on pre-refresh non-D cars. They absolutely cannot accept a motorized charge port unless your car undergoes major surgery involving welding and painting. There is no room for the mechanism.
What about pre-refresh D cars? I'm hoping Tesla will eventually allow retrofitting the motorised charge port, since it was promised to us when we placed the order.

I upgraded as soon as the car told me there was a new software, but now I regret installing it. If you have a pre-AP car, don't bother. It doesn't make anything better, it makes several things worse.

The speedometer display has gotten extremely laggy. Sometimes it freezes for several seconds! Yesterday I had to reboot it because it got completely stuck. It's a constant issue.
The navigation has become laggy and slow. It also seems to have issues as it resets itself every few minutes. Very annoying when you want to know what exit or turn to take and it just shows you a spinning circle. The trip energy graph also gets reset so the prediction always starts over instead of adjusting based on your driving.
The top tool bad hiding automatically is a step back in usability. If I want to switch to phone, media player, energy graph, I used to be able to just tap on the icon. Now I have to tap the navigation screen, wait for one second for the controls to slide back in, then I can tap on what I want. Just annoying having to go through an extra step every darn time for something so simple that I use all the time.

Luckily Apple has helped prepare me to expect new updates to ruin a perfectly good operating system. My old iPads are laggy and the browsers crash frequently. Apple maps has failed me enough to where I only use Waze now. My iPhone's search function doesn't work nearly as well as it use to when I'm looking for a song. That's not all, but you get the idea. A strange parallel indeed.

Reactions: GSP
Luckily Apple has helped prepare me to expect new updates to ruin a perfectly good operating system. My old iPads are laggy and the browsers crash frequently. Apple maps has failed me enough to where I only use Waze now. My iPhone's search function doesn't work nearly as well as it use to when I'm looking for a song. That's not all, but you get the idea. A strange parallel indeed.
Every single Winamp update made it better.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex and ohmman
The rear quarter panel is totally different on pre-refresh non-D cars. They absolutely cannot accept a motorized charge port unless your car undergoes major surgery involving welding and painting. There is no room for the mechanism.

My suggested "fix" was tongue in cheek but your response is very informative. Thanks!

Pre-refresh EU/HK/AU cars don't have motorised charge doors in dual-motor cars either, probably because the port itself (Mennekes-compatible rather than the Tesla proprietary port in US/CA/JP cars) is physically larger and there again was no room for it.

It's a pity that they didn't have room in the refresh cars for a 22kW charger (now relocated to the rear quarter panel) which means they max out at ~16.5kW

The extra 5.5kW makes a big difference in the supercharger-less deserts of Australia

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lex