Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 208139 New warning (at least to me). Appears when manually accelerating above set speed of autopilot. Seems kinda obvious to me.

You think so, but someone could be "resting" their foot on the go pedal and be unaware they are actually pressing it. At least, that's my theory with ICEs that drive around with their brake lights on for miles.

Reactions: wesley888
It feels like it requires just a tad more force than it used to for manual control. Not a problem, just an observation.

It has (always ...) seemed to me that when AP confidence is high it keeps a tight grip - i.e. I have to somewhat-jerk the wheel to take over. When confidence is low - a banked corner on highway near here where I always have to take over - it seems to only take an ounce of pressure for AP to yield steering to me. Mine's just an observation too, might be subjective only ...

This is just stupid. Tesla's doing fine. They're paying attention to the important stuff -- driving. Whether or not the entertainment system works perfectly is just so irrelevant. Nobody's going to be pleased when the garage door opener is rock solid and somebody dies because Tesla decided to put their best engineers on making a few loud fools happy with their luxury car.

If there were infinite money, then Tesla could hire the best people for everything. There isn't. They don't. Time spent on one thing is quite clearly time not spent on another. So far as I'm concerned they're prioritizing correctly.

Yet Tesla seems to have plenty of time on its hands for its engineers to include easter eggs for navigating on Mars, time and money which would be better spent improving the infotainment system. People like you always argue a false logic that Tesla can't focus on multiple things at once. It's completely false logic, especially when you count the man hours spent on easter eggs, which are completely unnecessary.

What people like you also miss is that in the $35,000-$45,000 space, consumers will be cross-shopping on convenience features like infotainment, navigation, etc. Tesla is competing in a price category with plenty of choices for those who don't necessarily need an EV. Tesla is supposedly building cars that people want to buy because they are so wonderful, not because they are EVs. Well, if that's true, then Tesla needs to focus on the features people want, not just on those things Tesla wants.

It has (always ...) seemed to me that when AP confidence is high it keeps a tight grip - i.e. I have to somewhat-jerk the wheel to take over. When confidence is low - a banked corner on highway near here where I always have to take over - it seems to only take an ounce of pressure for AP to yield steering to me. Mine's just an observation too, might be subjective only ...
Yes, this is my observation as well.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

A couple times in tight situations it's felt like it gave it back with almost no resistance at all - to the point I was really surprised to hear the disable chime. I think you might be on to something.

Definitely true, in my experience. There's a pair of sweeping 90º curves on an otherwise straight road that I drive frequently; if I let Autosteer handle it, the car slows down some but completes the curves without issue. If I so much as touch the steering wheel, Autosteer disengages immediately. At other times on less challenging roads, taking over from Autosteer requires a substantial tug on the wheel.

Chalk me up to someone who had the AP drop the speed limit to 50mph in a 65 highway all of the sudden. I was about to cross over a section of road where the speed limit was.... you guessed it, 50mph.

IMG_20161229_141351.jpg

I've had two incidents of unexpected deceleration on divided highways. I have sent the following to ServiceHelpNA in the hope that enough feedback will make it to the right people who can improve the situation.

To whom it may concern (preferably someone in the Autopilot project-management organization),

The most recent update to my car (Pxyzzy) has produced two rather alarming events in which Autopilot unexpectedly decelerated without being commanded to do so. This should be nothing more than an annoyance, except that in both cases, I was being followed too closely by another driver. Furthermore, these two drivers both expressed their surprise and displeasure in being effectively brake-checked, an activity which is deeply frowned upon.

The first was eastbound on I-64 between Charlottesville and Richmond, VA on December 24. Autopilot limited its speed to 50 MPH in an area marked for 70 and with traffic going about 75. A message about restricted speed was displayed on the instrument cluster, even though it was also, correctly, displaying the 70 MPH speed limit. I regret that I cannot provide a more precise location at which the unexpected deceleration occurred. I disengaged Autopilot and drove a fairly short distance until the restriction passed.

A second case of unexpected deceleration was today on US-250 Bypass around Charlottesville (StreetView Google Maps). The speed here is nominally 55, while I had the speed set to 58 or 59 to maintain spacing within traffic, and AP reduced its speed to 50. As is my habit through this stretch of short merge-lanes, I had two hands on the wheel, yet I received a hold-the-wheel message upon pressing the accelerator to maintain speed.

In both of these cases, the car maintained proper lane-centering.

My goal in writing this to provide you with honest feedback about what is an otherwise remarkable product and to request the following:

1) That future release notes clearly and specifically highlight changes in the behavior that a driver can expect from Autopilot.
2) That the Autopilot documentation is improved to reflect the actual behavior of the deployed software.
3) That Autopilot will maintain the driver's set speed until the driver has acknowledged a proposed change to the maximum speed setting.

Thank you for your time.

3) That Autopilot will maintain the driver's set speed until the driver has acknowledged a proposed change to the maximum speed setting.
Given that everything they're doing is in the direction of autonomous driving, i.e. getting the human entirely out of the loop, why would they be receptive to something that blocks on the driver doing something?

• Disagree
Reactions: supratachophobia
Given that everything they're doing is in the direction of autonomous driving, i.e. getting the human entirely out of the loop, why would they be receptive to something that blocks on the driver doing something?

It's about avoiding surprising behavior when I, the driver, am 100% liable for the operation of the vehicle. Given that there was no obvious-to-me reason for the car to slow down below the speed I had set, and no prior expectation that this behavior even existed, I was surprised that the car slowed down. The car slowing down surprised the tailgaters behind me. Surprise is bad.

I very much look forward to the day where the car / software / Tesla is 100% liable for the operation of the vehicle. With sufficient autonomy, there will be no more surprises. Until then, though, I want the assistance features to assist and not override my decisions.

It's about avoiding surprising behavior when I, the driver, am 100% liable for the operation of the vehicle. Given that there was no obvious-to-me reason for the car to slow down below the speed I had set, and no prior expectation that this behavior even existed, I was surprised that the car slowed down. The car slowing down surprised the tailgaters behind me. Surprise is bad.

I very much look forward to the day where the car / software / Tesla is 100% liable for the operation of the vehicle. With sufficient autonomy, there will be no more surprises. Until then, though, I want the assistance features to assist and not override my decisions.

That's a good point. It does seem like an auditory feedback in advance of 50mph restricted zones would be a good idea. I can understand the notion that AP knows it cannot operate at the requested speed in certain conditions, but that seems like something the system knows at least seconds in advance so the driver can take manual control preemptively if a slowdown to 50mph is not appropriate.

View attachment 208270 Got this today after passing a car in an 80mph zone. It was super irritating to no longer be able to use autopilot for the next 1.5 hours.

I get autopilot disabling if I break 90, but not letting me re-engage it until I put the car in park is just plain stupid. I can't see any way this restriction makes logical sense. How does this make anyone more safe?

Wait, if you drive faster than 90, you can't engage AP for the rest of the trip?!?!

Wait, if you drive faster than 90, you can't engage AP for the rest of the trip?!?!

If you force AP to go faster than 90, yes it puts you in the penalty box until you start a "new" drive. So if you need to pass someone at that speed take control, i.e. disable Autosteer, pass them, slow down and then re-enable Autosteer.

If you force AP to go faster than 90, yes it puts you in the penalty box until you start a "new" drive. So if you need to pass someone at that speed take control, i.e. disable Autosteer, pass them, slow down and then re-enable Autosteer.

You can't force it past 90, it disengages automatically. Now it will no longer let you re-engage it afterwords.

What problem does this solve?

• Informative
Reactions: bradhs and Evee