Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
I'm going out on a limb and saying that this was an incremental release rebranded as 8.1 to stop the complaints, and the real 8.1 is waiting for AP2 to get further along. 8.1 was to include auto off ramp and a new kernel, neither of which this update includes, and there is no way they will update AP1 tomorrow or this week with features that make it lose parity with AP1 as the complaints will start again. They'll hold off updating AP1 until AP2 can update along side. 8.1 was probably far along in December but all hands on deck went to AP2 to get parity.

It seems (according to ev-fw.com.com) that fw updates alternate between AP1 and AP2. Can anyone confirm this?
Based on the data captured and displayed on the Firmware Upgrader site and TESLFi I would say that the "so called" 8.1 upgrade (17.11.3) is for AP2 cars with perhaps only 2 AP1 cars reporting receipt at this time.

Frankly, I am a bit disappointed. In so far as, I was expecting a new Unix kernel, a revamped UI and to some extent a faster browser.
It appears that "8.1" is really a dot point upgrade for AP2 cars, which are a mere fraction of the S and X fleet.
I suspect that the "real" 8.1 was somehow delayed for various reasons.

Reactions: X Fan and davidc18