Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now if only we could get it to hug left in the carpool lane for lane splitting motorcycles :)
At the same time, I find that AP hugs the left too much while in the 405 carpool lane, keeping me way too close to the center divider for comfort. Inches really. I have to either exit or disable autosteer. I have yet to try this with 8.1.
I wish we could have a setting for "favor right/favor left", something like the distance setting on TACC.

At the same time, I find that AP hugs the left too much while in the 405 carpool lane, keeping me way too close to the center divider for comfort. Inches really. I have to either exit or disable autosteer. I have yet to try this with 8.1.
I wish we could have a setting for "favor right/favor left", something like the distance setting on TACC.

Last time when my car hugged too right, a motorcyclist splitting lane intentionally kicked my front bumper! It was like 50mph due to traffic.

Oh I'd love to demo that.....and sashay my way down the 405. :D I don't use AP2 in car pool lanes due to its erratic hunting, but I do use AP1 in car pool lanes except on the fwys that have only inches with the extended concrete pylons jutting out like the E/W 60.

A little torque never moved my car a bit until it eventually disengaged AP. Did I feel like I was winning the fight, yep. But did my car ever, really, technically move before disengagement - nope. Zero difference in AP1 before/after 8.1 updates for me as well.

Reactions: Matias
I just got back last night from a 700 mile road trip, after upgrading to 17.14.23 from 2.52.22. Most of the driving was with AP. I have to say it's hard to tell a difference. If anything, there seemed to be a little less side to side "hunting" and less frequent nagging than with the prior version.

I left AP on going through a construction zone once and it freaked out as it approached the barrels, forcing me to correct at the last minute. I didn't leave AP on entering construction zones after that.

One complaint I have (both versions) - the car is still too aggressive diving towards exit lanes. If it loses one of the lane markings, I don't see why it can't follow the other one until it picks up the second one again. That's essentially what we do when we are driving ourselves.

One complaint I have (both versions) - the car is still too aggressive diving towards exit lanes. If it loses one of the lane markings, I don't see why it can't follow the other one until it picks up the second one again. That's essentially what we do when we are driving ourselves.

If I'm in the far right lane, its only because I plan to exit........ :D This should be the springboard for our long awaited off ramp capability.
If the lane markers are lost in the middle lanes, AP typically operates as you wish.

Reactions: JenniferQ

If I'm in the far right lane, its only because I plan to exit........ :D This should be the springboard for our long awaited off ramp capability.
If the lane markers are lost in the middle lanes, AP typically operates as you wish.
This really needs to be fixed. I drive the 395 to Mammoth often, always staying in the right lane except to pass. With this type of highway, the "off ramps" are really right hand turn lanes, and each and every time the car seems to launch for that lane like a dog chasing after a squirrel. Now, if it onlyt took planned off-ramps the same way, we'd be in good shape.

I just got back last night from a 700 mile road trip, after upgrading to 17.14.23 from 2.52.22. Most of the driving was with AP. I have to say it's hard to tell a difference. If anything, there seemed to be a little less side to side "hunting" and less frequent nagging than with the prior version.

I left AP on going through a construction zone once and it freaked out as it approached the barrels, forcing me to correct at the last minute. I didn't leave AP on entering construction zones after that.

Oh, I forgot to add - that 700 miles was split over a bunch of conditions - day/night, rain/clear. The first night it was raining hard enough that I had a hard time seeing the lane markings, but AP was unfazed.

This really needs to be fixed. I drive the 395 to Mammoth often, always staying in the right lane except to pass. With this type of highway, the "off ramps" are really right hand turn lanes, and each and every time the car seems to launch for that lane like a dog chasing after a squirrel. Now, if it onlyt took planned off-ramps the same way, we'd be in good shape.

The car should handle an 8 or 10 lane fwy differently than 395.
Very different conditions.

Reactions: msnow