Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the disappointment is because we were told that we were going to get two additional features with 8.1, and not only didn't we get them but we weren't updated about them either.

First there was AEB where it actively brakes for stationary objects. Now this wasn't promised as much as they said that 8.0 was going to start collecting the data for white listing, and then they'd roll it out later. It is later so where is it? Has the idea itself been squashed?

Secondly there was the handling off-ramp thing.

http://jalopnik.com/psa-dont-try-to-take-highway-off-ramps-with-teslas-aut-1787206951

As a general promise they said the kernel would be upgraded, and I haven't seen any confirmation either way on this one. There was also some talk about UI enhancements, and that didn't materialize.

All in all it looks to me that AP2 got all the attention, but that was necessary given the situation. At least now for them it utilizes two of the front cameras so it should improve things for them.

I think that's part of why the scatchpad easter egg was added. A nice distraction so we have something to play with.

What do you want more in AP1? I think it does what it can do with one camera. So quit whining.

It can do more. It knows the color red - so stop signs and traffic lights should jump out of the clutter and it can be taught to stop for them (though it will never be sure when it is safe to go again.)

With the precision GPS system and the existing perpendicular autopark, and summon, it should be able to select and park in a supercharger stall in the correct location to plug in, though I'm not sure we'll ever see all of that folded together.

I probably missed a lot around here but from a quick reading it sounds like 8.1 is just a new view on the media player, AP changes, headrest adjustment (for our cars too?) and an etch-a-sketch. Is that about it? If so this would be a huge disappointment...again.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I probably missed a lot around here but from a quick reading it sounds like 8.1 is just a new view on the media player, AP changes, headrest adjustment (for our cars too?) and an etch-a-sketch. Is that about it? If so this would be a huge disappointment...again.

I was thinking the etch-a-sketch might be an novel back-channel to give feedback on the release.

Bruce.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Andyw2100 and msnow
Stilling waiting for the update notification..... I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a while. If nothing else, I'd like to get the map enhancements, music enhancements, and the sketchpad.
My AP1 P90D X went to the SC for 1st & 2nd annual maint as I've had it for close to 13 months and I have 29K miles on it. I have 8.0 / 17.6.15 14-February-201 on it and just got a phone notification that software was updated. I pick it up tomorrow.

Missed this thread. Apologies. I posted in a separate thread but here you go.

Model X P100D AP1

IMG_3133.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_3135.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Can you open the browser and go to What's My User Agent? then put a screenshot or paste the info here.

On 8.0 (17.4.14) webkit is version 534.34 - I wonder if they've upgraded it at all.

I seriously doubt the browser was upgraded. If/when it is, we'll hopefully see some significant improvements in the UI and feature set, not an incremental minor point or engine update. The browser is so far down the list of things that need fixing -- like Elon said, we might see a browser upgrade when we get the mythical kernel update. I'm really tired of Elon tweeting out software update plans that NEVER happen. Just tell us what we're actually getting, stop lying to us.