Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. On the VFW Parkway, southbound, passing the West Roxbury High School campus and approaching the railroad bridge that carries the Needham Line over the road. I was in the right-hand lane.
Normally I only use the AutoPilot on highways such as I-95 but occasionally try it on other roads, and I happened to try it here. I was using it only for 3-4 minutes, since I turned onto the road at Baker St. It should have worked fine (and did until the bridge) because it is divided, has good curbs and pavement markings, and traffic was light. No construction, nothing that would seem to me to cause a reaction -- aside from that bridge and its possible shadow.

FYI I used AP going under the rr bridge near my house and it worked fine. Again, I've traveled under the bridge multiple times over the last year and I think this helped validate the underpass as something you can drive under vs an obstruction.

This may be happening due to the radar taking on a greater role in AP. I think if you drive through it a few time(10?) without AP it will be mapped as safe to drive through(not sure how long this actually takes).
That's what I guessed. Although I was a bit surprised that an interstate that is a major US <-> Quebec crossing wasn't already learned. I saw 1 or 2 other Teslas on the route.

FYI I used AP going under the rr bridge near my house and it worked fine. Again, I've traveled under the bridge multiple times over the last year and I think this helped validate the underpass as something you can drive under vs an obstruction.

I took the same route again this morning. The time was a bit earlier and the sky was brighter, so the lighting conditions were slightly different from the previous time. I again joined the parkway at Baker St., and drove slowly until traffic around me had pulled ahead so that there would be no cars ahead of me that radar would react to. There was also no one behind me for quite a long way, so I felt safe trying the AP again. I drove a bit slower this time, maybe a tad over 30.

The autopilot working fine, with no untoward reactions to the bridge (or to whatever else the system might have reacted to the first time). I did notice a couple of details I missed before. The incident occurred at or just after a driveway on the right-hand side of the road, into and out of West Roxbury high school. I think I was past it last time, and I do not recall any cars in the driveway, but it is possible there was a car in the drive. Also, the paint markings are clear, but not in quite as good shape as I thought. The instrument cluster "cartoon" did show the lines in the usual way, however.

Anyway, I cannot explain what the system reacted to the last time, but it worked just fine today.

Photos please! Or even better: video of how it works :)

Click on the Tesla logo at the top to pull up the "about" screen. Then you'll see an arrow which you swipe down to reveal the drawer. Photos attached!

upload_2017-6-22_21-40-21.png

upload_2017-6-22_21-40-11.png

A few things I've noticed with 17.24.28 on AP1:

1. There is a new "Data Sharing" button in Settings -> Safety & Security. This allows you to opt out of data collection. I think this may have been present in some of the Model X software builds and possible some of the Model S AP2 software builds, but it's the first I've seen of it on Model S AP1.

2. I was in the left lane of a multi-lane divided, but non-controlled access road with an esplanade in the middle that had a curb adjacent to the left lane (no lane stripe or side stripe). I engaged TACC/AS, and AS used only the right-hand land marker as guidance. However, the ultrasonic sensors detected the curb and AS steered the vehicle closer to the right-hand lane stripe and held it there for several minutes. It appears that AS is taking a cue from the ultrasonic sensors and steering the vehicle away from things that they detect. I don't think I've seen this before except perhaps to a very minor degree when passing large trucks.

3. The ultrasonics seem to have a faster response to parking obstacles. When you're approaching a parking obstacle, take a look at the distance measurements -- they are updating on the display faster than before.

A few things I've noticed with 17.24.28 on AP1:

1. There is a new "Data Sharing" button in Settings -> Safety & Security. This allows you to opt out of data collection. I think this may have been present in some of the Model X software builds and possible some of the Model S AP2 software builds, but it's the first I've seen of it on Model S AP1.

Not 100% positive, but I seem to recall seeing that months ago. I am not near my car now, so I cannot easily verify that I have it. Be interested what others say....

2. I was in the left lane of a multi-lane divided, but non-controlled access road with an esplanade in the middle that had a curb adjacent to the left lane (no lane stripe or side stripe). I engaged TACC/AS, and AS used only the right-hand land marker as guidance. However, the ultrasonic sensors detected the curb and AS steered the vehicle closer to the right-hand lane stripe and held it there for several minutes. It appears that AS is taking a cue from the ultrasonic sensors and steering the vehicle away from things that they detect. I don't think I've seen this before except perhaps to a very minor degree when passing large trucks.

Autopilot has done some form of lane biasing for about 2 years, so that's not new.

Over various versions they've adjusted the amount of bias though. The bias right now is a bit stronger than I'd like. When I'm in the far left lane of a divided road (45 mph speed limit) which has a curb to the left and the middle lane to the right, the ultrasonic sensors see the curb and shift to the right side of the lane. I don't like this since it puts me a bit closer to the car next to me, and I'm more concerned about the car next to me veering over into my lane than I am of the curb veering into my lane :).

I think summon in reverse just got way better. I always back into my garage using summon and stop it manually(my garage is pretty cluttered this time of year with just a few inches of maneuver room on all sides) before it backs into some boxes or whatever. Tonight it really acted differently. It kind of creeped along cautiously instead of stopping then going when it sensed an obstruction and even stopped(parked) itself without my input for the first time since I've had the car. Pretty cool!

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not sure if this is new on 8.1 (17.24.28), but I was driving in traffic last night and the loud BEEP-BEEP-BEEP "imminent collision" warning came on, even though I was just following traffic at low speed and the car in front of me wasn't braking. I looked down at the dash and noticed that the car ahead of the car in front of me turned red, so the system was warning me that 2 cars ahead was a problem. Pretty neat!

• Informative
Reactions: Evee and msnow
Not sure if this is new on 8.1 (17.24.28), but I was driving in traffic last night and the loud BEEP-BEEP-BEEP "imminent collision" warning came on, even though I was just following traffic at low speed and the car in front of me wasn't braking. I looked down at the dash and noticed that the car ahead of the car in front of me turned red, so the system was warning me that 2 cars ahead was a problem. Pretty neat!
Not new, as I've had it happen before -- a couple false alarms like yours and once, well, it was appropriate because of the !#$(*@$% driver ahead of me on his phone, who put on his brake for now reason at all. Now, as to if Tesla has been tweaking the algorithm again, that's anyone's guess. ;)

Very cool. I've never had the car ahead of the car in front of me trigger an alert. Good info.

Has anyone installed the newest update and noticed any speed limiting changes to AP1? Reading some other threads it sounds like that might be a problem. I haven't installed it yet waiting to hear from other AP1 users.

It wasn't that long ago that Elon posed this: referring to the radar as the primary method of awareness for autopilot. I totally forgot about it! Wonder what happened to that?View attachment 233174

What happened to what? Elon just tweeted in the last week or so that the "UFO" demo would be ready soon. (I know, I know--what does soon mean?)

Anyway, I think radar already has at least as much weight as the camera now--at least since 8.0 rolled out.

Has anyone installed the newest update and noticed any speed limiting changes to AP1? Reading some other threads it sounds like that might be a problem. I haven't installed it yet waiting to hear from other AP1 users.

Since installing 17.24.28, I've noticed that the +5mph limit that I used to only see on undivided roads is being applied on a small section of a large divided freeway.

For those familiar with the Bay Area, it's the section I-80 just east of the second span of the bay bridge while traveling east. In the other direction, there is the bay bridge's toll plaza, so that may be why the speed is limited to 5mph over the speed limit, but it doesn't make any sense in the east-bound direction (especially that everyone else goes at least 70mph in a 50mph zone and my AP1 is now limiting me to 55mph...)