Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wanted to add that the current browser is called QtCarBrower which is built on the Qt library (see: Qt (software) - Wikipedia ) which is an abstraction UI development toolset. It sits on top of windows managers and other utilities (see image below).

Building a web browser with Qt is like building a spreadsheet program in BASIC or writing a PAC-MAN game in Excel (yes, it exists! Excel Games Free Download: Top 50+ Games )

So of course the performance of QtCarBrowser is going to be abysmal. Workable, but abysmal.

But a hardware update is not necessary to improve the performance of the browser. Just a browser written and compiled in native machine code would be 100x faster and more responsive. Like Chrome, Opera, or Firefox should do the trick, but those bring along with them security risks that I'm not sure Tesla is willing to put on their system without making sure it's totally sandboxed from the rest of the system.

upload_2017-3-31_9-13-52.png

@HankLloydRight why would they have invested any time to produce a POS browser with QT to begin with? It seems like security related issues could be managed alternatively, but maybe it alone would become an endless resource issue combatting bad guys.

I don't think they put much time into it.. the browser we have now remains unchanged from the very first release (AFAIK). There are a few existing QtWebkit projects out there, I'm guessing they took one of them and modified it (as little as possible) to work in the car and called it QtCarBrowser (a user agent that only exists in Teslas)

see:
Applications Using QtWebKit - Qt Wiki
Qt WebKit Examples 5.5
How to Create Webkit Browser with Python

Here's a Qt browser in 9 lines of code: Example code for a simple web page browser using WebKit QT in C++ :)

@HankLloydRight why would they have invested any time to produce a POS browser with QT to begin with? It seems like security related issues could be managed alternatively, but maybe it alone would become an endless resource issue combatting bad guys.
this is an interesting topic that should be broken out to it's own thread.
however the conversation has been about the diminishing support of AP1, I'd like to see more about this problem on this thread.

this is an interesting topic that should be broken out to it's own thread.
however the conversation has been about the diminishing support of AP1, I'd like to see more about this problem on this thread.

Ooops, I confused my sorrows from the diminishing support of AP1, with those from the diminished support of 8.0.
Too much sadness around here to keep it straight, but I'll try harder. ;)

I don't think they put much time into it.. the browser we have now remains unchanged from the very first release (AFAIK). There are a few existing QtWebkit projects out there, I'm guessing they took one of them and modified it (as little as possible) to work in the car and called it QtCarBrowser (a user agent that only exists in Teslas)

see:
Applications Using QtWebKit - Qt Wiki
Qt WebKit Examples 5.5
How to Create Webkit Browser with Python

Here's a Qt browser in 9 lines of code: Example code for a simple web page browser using WebKit QT in C++ :)

It's based upon libQtWebKit. They have just wrapped it with a thin UI to handle things like location approval, etc...

Electrek reports that the "REAL" 8.1 with the new Kernal, browser, UI tweaks and a few more goodies is coming in 6 weeks according to Elon. Figure Mid May.

Tesla’s software update for internet browser, Linux update and new features coming in ~6 weeks, says Elon Musk

When Tesla started pushing its 8.1 software update to its fleet this week, it was really
light on UI improvements and instead focused almost entirely on Autopilot 2.0 updates.

Several of the changes that CEO Elon Musk previously associated with the upcoming 8.1 update have been pushed another ~6 weeks. expand full story We are talking about the expected internet browser update, Linux kernel update, and several bug fixes – especially having to do with Tesla’s media app.

Most of those changes were first expected in December and Musk linked them to the 8.1 updates, which had been delayed until this week and didn’t contain any of the changes.

Last edited:
Here's a theory as to why we won't see any further refinements to AP1 features:

AP1 was developed by MobilEye, and now that their relationship with Tesla has ended, they are no longer willing to provide updates to their system.

In turn Tesla is focusing on AP2, since it was developed internally (Tesla Vision), and doesn't see value in investing a large amount of resources to dive into AP1 firmware and take up the slack left behind.

From a pure business sense, I completely understand. As an AP1 owner, it's a bummer - but hey, I still have a pretty solid AP system that works great on highways!

AP1 was developed by MobilEye, and now that their relationship with Tesla has ended, they are no longer willing to provide updates to their system.

In turn Tesla is focusing on AP2, since it was developed internally (Tesla Vision), and doesn't see value in investing a large amount of resources to dive into AP1 firmware and take up the slack left behind.

From a pure business sense, I completely understand. As an AP1 owner, it's a bummer - but hey, I still have a pretty solid AP system that works great on highways!

AP1 wasn't developed by Mobileye. It's hybrid; Mobileye/eyeQ3 object recognition combined with Tesla programming to fuse it with the radar and to react to the objects. You'll notice that Mobileye isn't offering other companies anything resembling AP1 after the break with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: mattmass

Regardless of the whole MobilEye/eyeQ3 situation where none of us here know for a fact all the particulars of contracts and obligations agreed to by Tesla and those companies, I agree with the basic premise that Tesla will likely stabilize AP1 functionality, to focus on AP2.

When that will be and to what degree, is anyone's guess. I would make that decision myself if I were in Elon's shoes. If AP1 owners get more AP functionality, I'll personally consider it a cherry on the top -- but OTOH, I still EXPECT Tesla to step up and fix outstanding Infotainment bugs (that's warranty), and bring Nav/MP up-to-snuff with what other mfgrs have provided for years (e.g. Waypoints, true random shuffle for USB, etc). MS Owners have given Tesla a lot of slack for putting that on the back burner for years, and there is no excuse for Tesla to not still deliver it to all MS & MX, as with proper design, most should be reusable or at least also become the foundation for M3 and beyond.

Let's also remember, there is no legal obligation for Tesla to update firmware on their vehicles forever and provide new functionality beyond safety corrections, and Tesla only makes money when they sell new vehicles -- so there is little business reason for Tesla to do much more related to AP1 unless it's easy or provides say better data collection for the whole. The primary functions AP1 was said to provide when I purchased it are there, albeit we can debate how refined some of the implementation is or not. Now that AP2 has been the only option for months on new-built vehicles, IMHO, AP1 Owners like myself that receive any more updated AP functionality should be over-joyed -- and if they become envious of what AP2 begins to be capable of, it becomes a reason to buy a new Tesla, just as Tesla's business model is designed (as are all other auto mfgrs when you want new major features -- you get to buy their new MY.) ;)

AP1 wasn't developed by Mobileye. It's hybrid; Mobileye/eyeQ3 object recognition combined with Tesla programming to fuse it with the radar and to react to the objects. You'll notice that Mobileye isn't offering other companies anything resembling AP1 after the break with

Why would Mobileye offer other companies anything resembling AP1, if AP1 wasn't developed by Mobileye? Or am I missing some hidden logic/clue behind your argument?

Regardless of the whole MobilEye/eyeQ3 situation where none of us here know for a fact all the particulars of contracts and obligations agreed to by Tesla and those companies, I agree with the basic premise that Tesla will likely stabilize AP1 functionality, to focus on AP2.

I like the sound of 'stablize' better than ditch, ignore, leave behind, etc. ;) Thanks for that.
As for now though, my AP1 is far more enjoyable than my AP2.

There is quite a few features in the UI that are not AP1 related. I hope that as time goes on, these areas of functionality will also be augmented in AP1 cars. Example is the new My Favorites radio station that gathers all of your streamed favorites and plays them on one station. You know, my personal use of AP1 features is actually quite minimal. Summon, parking and TACC is most commonly used by me in my use case. The roads in my neck of the woods really do not lend themselves to lane holding.

So I do hope that AP1 cars will continue to benefit from new non AP features and enhancements....

I also don't think we know how much of AP1 was done by Tesla and how much by Mobileye, how well architected/abstracted the software is, etc.

For instance, is Mobileye providing a driver for their hardware, with all of the functions (TACC, autosteer/lane change, etc) developed by Tesla? In that case, new features (ie, red light/stop sign detection) could be layered on the AP1/AP2 hardware drivers, and easily ported between AP1/AP2.

Another analogy - think of the AP hardware as an Ethernet card. Get a new card and all you need is a driver. All the L3 and up functionality carries over to the new card. When Microsoft released IPv6, it worked on all the old cards in existence.

On an unrelated note - has anyone gotten 8.1 on an AP1 car yet?

There is quite a few features in the UI that are not AP1 related. I hope that as time goes on, these areas of functionality will also be augmented in AP1 cars. Example is the new My Favorites radio station that gathers all of your streamed favorites and plays them on one station. You know, my personal use of AP1 features is actually quite minimal. Summon, parking and TACC is most commonly used by me in my use case. The roads in my neck of the woods really do not lend themselves to lane holding.

So I do hope that AP1 cars will continue to benefit from new non AP features and enhancements....
There's no legitimate (technical) reason these feature couldn't be released for AP1 and AP2 simultaneously. Worst case, they are maintaining two release trains (or three, if you include non-AP classics) and integrating features into both. This is basic software development/release management that goes on in thousands of organizations daily.

I also don't think we know how much of AP1 was done by Tesla and how much by Mobileye, how well architected/abstracted the software is, etc.

For instance, is Mobileye providing a driver for their hardware, with all of the functions (TACC, autosteer/lane change, etc) developed by Tesla? In that case, new features (ie, red light/stop sign detection) could be layered on the AP1/AP2 hardware drivers, and easily ported between AP1/AP2.

Another analogy - think of the AP hardware as an Ethernet card. Get a new card and all you need is a driver. All the L3 and up functionality carries over to the new card. When Microsoft released IPv6, it worked on all the old cards in existence.

On an unrelated note - has anyone gotten 8.1 on an AP1 car yet?

See post #34

Missed this thread. Apologies. I posted in a separate thread but here you go.

Model X P100D AP1

View attachment 220579 View attachment 220580 View attachment 220581

I like the words: "it's also useful if you want to make a less showy arrival." as regards setting the falcon doors to a low setting. It is nice that Tesla acknowledges that some owners would prefer to keep a lower profile and and not yell I drive an expensive car.

It took a while for my older daughter to not cringe every time she had to open the falcon doors in public. She likes to raise donations for Syrian refugees, feed the homeless, etc as her after school activities. So driving around in Model X has been an adjustment for her.