Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What ended up being the actual HP rating for the P85D? A friend asked me today and I didn't know. thx.

I haven't thought about this in a while, and I'm sure it's possible to look it up somewhere, but off the top of my head, the number that I recall, which may not be correct, is 465.

I was close. It's 463:

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

P85DHp.png

I just installed 17.11.10 on my AP1 90D. The notes only indicate some added functionality to voice commands for navigation and some related detail about destinations. This was my first update to 2 series updates. It will be interesting to see what changes in lane keeping. Mine has been very good up to this update.

My AP has been acting weird since 8.1.

I go on the same 1 hr commute every morning, and it's in the direction of the rising sun. With 8.0, I know that there are 2-3 spots that consistently confuse the AP, and I have to take control on those spots.

But today, as soon as i got on the freeway something was weird. It took a while for the system to acquire the lane markers. It would detect the right, then left, but lose the right, etc. Finally it acquired lane markers and I started AP. But this kept happening for most of the drive. It would lose lane markers on either the left or right, and this is in the HOV lane with very clear bright markings. Then, it lost BOTH lane markers and the car i was following turned blue into the lead car. On the freeway. At 70+ mph. At one point, it lost the lead car and gave me the "TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY" alarm.

I really use AP cautiously and it's still new to me, but it was pretty scary today. Like I said, it consistently went on this stretch of freeway without any issues before, but it was off today. Can't see the lane markers?? It could be the angle of sun today or something. OR it could be the one thing that was different today: 8.1.

Don't want to blame 8.1, but just wanted to put it out there so everyone is cautious. Friend of mine also said his was acting different with 8.1 also, but more wandering in the lane.

I'll see how it does tomorrow morning...

To confirm: you have an ap1 vehicle?

Btw: driving in direction of sun on concrete paving in early to mid morning have been an issue for me since pickup last year. Have had 2-3 challenging situations while on interstates under those conditions.

Reactions: mikes_fsd

Btw: driving in direction of sun on concrete paving in early to mid morning have been an issue for me since pickup last year. Have had 2-3 challenging situations while on interstates under those conditions.
And this time of year the angle of the sun changes (significantly) daily so picking out the lines is different from day to day. BTW I got my 8.1 update on my AP1 S90D but won't have chance to give it a good test till tomorrow.

And this time of year the angle of the sun changes (significantly) daily so picking out the lines is different from day to day. BTW I got my 8.1 update on my AP1 S90D but won't have chance to give it a good test till tomorrow.

Agree with you both. For me, early morning with the sun lower in the sky, concrete pavement, and if the lines are worn more than normal, has always been a challenge for the single HW1 camera to pick up on. Honestly, it's sometimes hard for me to tell where the lines are, let alone me expect AP to do the same. Now that I've encountered the sometimes odd veering that can happen when AP is on in these conditions, I just consider it part of the (likely permanent) HW1 technology limitations, and try to pay even more attention or go off AP when it bothers me too much.

Reactions: X Fan

Yea, AP1.

The sun position definitely has a impact on picking up the lanes... But it was just weird because the angle of the sun and glare wasn't even that bad that morning. In addition, there are areas that are shaded from a mountain for several miles. Even after some time to acclimate to the light change in the shade, it was still behaving like that.

On the flip side, its working better today. But still lost some lanes randomly, especially when the lane narrows a little bit. Still a little worse overall for my car than when it was on 8.0 tho.

Just got back from a couple of short freeway drives (< 10 miles) on my S85D (AP1 hardware) newly upgraded to 8.1(17.11.10) from 8.0(17.8.6). I noticed a bit of lane-marking dancing (it wasn't dramatic), and it's occasionally lose (for a fraction of a second) a lane marking that I could clearly see with my eyes. I do not recall this behavior with earlier software. Still showing up to two cars in my lane plus in the adjacent lanes on either side, so no change there. More importantly, the actual behavior of autosteer and TACC was within what I'd consider normal parameters. Lane changes felt about the same as before. Weather was overcast, roads damp or dry, none to light rain, late morning.

It feels like what's on the sensor display on 8.1 is slightly worse than 8.0, but I admit that posts upthread from @tchockie made me extra-conscious of any changes in this area.

What I saw just now reinforces my self-imposed restriction of never doing a software update before a long trip. (We just finished a 1000-mile road trip.) Funny how a best practice from IT operations can apply to maintaining a car...just another day in the weird, wonderful world of Tesla ownership!

Bruce.

Last edited:
Travelled into Canada just after getting the update. Speed limit signs are seen but the dash reports a number 1.6x bigger (50km/h is "80"). Units are set to km. I seem to recall reading S had this problem early on when the software was first introduced.

Any more AP1 complains with the new 8.1 update? I still keep delaying the update just in case because I rely on my AP1 heavily.
You're good to go. I have 8.1 on AP1 and AP2. Drove AP1 yesterday 145 fwy miles to the weekend house and it worked as good as always. Thankfully no change.......despite my imagination trying to find something. :rolleyes:

You're good to go. I have 8.1 on AP1 and AP2. Drove AP1 yesterday 145 fwy miles to the weekend house and it worked as good as always. Thankfully no change.......despite my imagination trying to find something. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I will update tonight then! Much appreciated!

*Sigh* You have the update and don't want it, I want it and can't seem to get it... :(

Sorry for that. But I had to wait very long to get the 8.0 update back in the day. And this time it's just a very small update for AP1 cars ;) You will get it soon enough!