Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since installing 17.24.28, I've noticed that the +5mph limit that I used to only see on undivided roads is being applied on a small section of a large divided freeway.

For those familiar with the Bay Area, it's the section I-80 just east of the second span of the bay bridge while traveling east. In the other direction, there is the bay bridge's toll plaza, so that may be why the speed is limited to 5mph over the speed limit, but it doesn't make any sense in the east-bound direction (especially that everyone else goes at least 70mph in a 50mph zone and my AP1 is now limiting me to 55mph...)
Man that is a total bummer. I was hoping that speed limiting on more roads wasn't true. I guess I'll hold off on the install for now. Thanks for the info.

Last week I installed 17.24.28, and somehow this morning I was notified of another SW update. I did the update, and it's now 17.24.30. No significant release note:

20170628_150705.jpg

Since installing 17.24.28, I've noticed that the +5mph limit that I used to only see on undivided roads is being applied on a small section of a large divided freeway.

I did notice the same thing with 17.24.28. The off-ramp for the highway I take to work has a speed limit of 45 MPH. It used to be that when I have AP1 engaged, nothing would change while going on the off-ramp (i.e. the car would maintain whatever speed it was at before). However, since 17.24.28, AP1 would suddenly drop the speed to 50 MPH (that is, 5+ MPH above the posted speed limit). Rather inconvenient...guess I'll have to disengage AP when I get close to the off-ramp from now on.

What I've noticed so far with 17.24.30 (and really since 17.24.28) is that the AP "nags" occur more often. Previously I hardly ever complain about the nags because I felt they were few and far in between. Now since these 2 updates, the nags appear more frequently, and they appear even during straightaway roads (before they tend to appear when the road curves).

Reactions: jdw and fasteddie7
  • Informative
Reactions: JClu
Tesla starts pushing new Linux kernel update, hinting at upcoming UI improvements

While it’s only a backend upgrade, Tesla CEO Elon Musk associated it with several long-awaited improvements to the vehicle’s user interface. Now that the kernel upgrade is here, those improvements shouldn’t be too far behind.
expand full story

Sources told Electrek that the latest 8.1 update (17.24.30), upgraded the Linux Kernel from the version 2.6.36 to the version 4.4.35.
:) When I read that article earlier yesterday, does that mean there are two Linux upgrades in recent weeks? I was told that one of our fellow bench-testers confirmed "THE" Linux Update came in with 17.18.x. Either way, somethings up: "Sources" are providing incorrect news to the media (which generally are THE inside info and primary communication path from Tesla to owners besides Elon's Tweets; There is actually a 2-step kernel update going on to the CID Linux process; or one of our most knowledgeable bench testers was wrong.

I got 17.26.17 yesterday. Once again, there's nothing of note in the release notes:
With this release, we're continuing to improve your Model S experience with software fixes and improvements.

Edit: I assume these are HW1 release notes, and that HW2 cars would see more changes.

Last edited:
My S85D with AP1 (duh) is on 8.1(17.11.10), and as you can guess it's been running that for awhile. As luck would have it I'm away from my car for a couple weeks, and it's been giving me notifications for a software update every few days (not exactly at regular intervals however). I have no idea of course what build is staged for upgrade.

The fact that I'm basically ignoring this pending software update for about two weeks (instead of installing the microsecond after the notification :))... is this going to cause a problem when I finally get back to my car and tell it to install?

Bruce.

Do you think that the recent updates (17.24.28 and 17.26.17) are being pushed out to prepare for the new Unix Kernel? Installed 17.26.17 yesterday and noticed nothing much different at all from a visual UI or functional perspective. So I suspect some behind the scenes work is going on.

Maybe, but I was told our resident bench tester said the Linux Kernel came in for the CID before 17.18.x.

All I know is, I still have months-old super-frustrating Media Player USB bugs that plague me sometimes multiple times per day, Infotainment is years behind basic capabilities that nearly every other brand provides, and the long-promised "major UI update" has not yet been delivered ...but one day we will get a new web browser that the Press keeps citing as the real excitement owners desire (not a priority to me!) ;)

All I know is, I still have months-old super-frustrating Media Player USB bugs that plague me sometimes multiple times per day, Infotainment is years behind basic capabilities that nearly every other brand provides, and the long-promised "major UI update" has not yet been delivered ...but one day we will get a new web browser that the Press keeps citing as the real excitement owners desire (not a priority to me!) ;)
Now on 17.26.17, I've been trying to use USB for the first time (I finally put together a collection of my favorite 250 classic rock songs from the late 60s through 70s, all with the correct cover art -- I guess that dates me). Despite the absence of complex file structure, my USB experience has been horrible, with constant "loading errors", and not just when I rapidly skip songs. I'm next going to try a different USB drive in case the one I have is bad (currently a 64GB Sandisk USB3). Multiple double-wheel-plus-brake reboots haven't helped.

After jumping from 17.14.23 to 17.24.28 in my late pre-refresh 90D, I've been trying to decide if sound effects are more reliable. I mean the sounds associated with turn signals, AP on-off, etc. Those used to go missing sometimes, and sometimes the turn signal sounds would persist a few seconds after the turn signal stopped. Not a big deal, but I noticed it.

All those sounds seem more reliable with 17.24.28. That's the kind of thing that a linux kernel upgrade might fix — at least according to this particular armchair Tesla product manager (ATPM), who thinks he knows a thing or two about linux. Better task scheduling or interrupt handling, for example. Or bug fixes in the sound driver, since those would likely come along for the ride.

• Informative
Reactions: Texas
Now on 17.26.17, I've been trying to use USB for the first time (I finally put together a collection of my favorite 250 classic rock songs from the late 60s through 70s, all with the correct cover art -- I guess that dates me). Despite the absence of complex file structure, my USB experience has been horrible, with constant "loading errors", and not just when I rapidly skip songs. I'm next going to try a different USB drive in case the one I have is bad (currently a 64GB Sandisk USB3). Multiple double-wheel-plus-brake reboots haven't helped.

I had the same issues with USB music files ... just gave up and now listen to Classic Rock on Slacker :cool:
Ver. 17.26.17

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the "auto-play". I don't know if it's my iphone or the car (I'm betting the car), but if I leave the car for an hour or two, upon return, it auto-plays whatever I was playing last.

BUT! When I leave the car for more than a few hours, it ALWAYS goes back to "Podcasts" and starts playing a random podcast I've already listened to. This doesn't happen with several other BT receivers I have, or in other cars. Just the Tesla. I've tried deleting the BT profile on both devices, renaming them, re-pairing, and no matter what, the car INSISTS on listening to S-TOWN or the Better Call Saul Insider podcats, regardless of what the phone was set to previously. Even if I force-quit the podcasts app, the car starts it up again. GAH!!!