TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by HankLloydRight, Mar 29, 2017.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#1 HankLloydRight, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

• Informative x 1
  3. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Looks like it's going to be a pretty unproductive day here at work. Bring on the videos!

RT

• Like x 3
  4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

If I may suggest, you should probably look at re-organizing your forum structure. The advent of multiple models has made things a bit confusing because a lot of things are common to the S/X. For example, I would suggest creating a UI sub section that is at the same level as the Model S/X/3, and eliminating the same from under the S/X banners.

• Like x 4
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I don't own or moderate the forums. I'm just a user. I can only create threads.

When I suggested to the mods to create separate Firmware threads for AP1, AP2, Classics and General, they said "just do it and own it", so I did that to take some of the load off the mods.

All these threads were created under the "Tesla Motors" forum, and not under any particular Model forum, since they are generic to models (mostly). There's no need to spread FW 8.1 discussions around to separate Model forums.

• Like x 8
  6. croman

croman Active Member

• Like x 3
  7. mitchellh3

mitchellh3 Member

Hello!

Perhaps it'd be useful to have a new AP2 experiences thread for 17.11.3? I see a lot of threads on whether folks got it or not but haven't seen many driving updates yet.

I got the update overnight, drove in a few areas prior to work that I've driven before. Here are some of my notes:
    • No calibration required: release notes said for > 55 mph highway autosteer the cameras would have to calibrate "over several days [of highway driving]". I got on the freeway and immediately was able to set Autosteer up to 80 (and it went to there).
    • Highway autosteer above 55 scared me: I recorded a video but haven't uploaded it yet, but still a lot of VERY wavy lines. This is on a well-marked Los Angeles freeway. It veered across the lane markers multiple times (at speeds > 65 mph) and curves were extremely scary as it jerked around. Even straight lines it would ping-pong periodically between the lane markers. I'm not sure why it was struggling so much since the road conditions were ideal.
    • Waviness not fixed: I mentioned this above but the lane markers on the dash are still very wavy even when at a complete stand-still.
    • Auto lane change is jerky: The auto lane change feature works okay, but it was jerky most of the time as it struggled to "center" itself during the transition... wasn't a very smooth lane change. No cars around, clearly marked highway.
    I didn't test local autosteer on some curves I took before to see if it takes them any better yet. I also don't have a driveway that'd work well with Summon so I haven't tried that.

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 1
  8. David29

David29 Member

Yikes, I hope it does not degrade AP1 performance. Or is this release only for AP2 cars?

9. mitchellh3

mitchellh3 Member

Given the odd version scheme bump (17.9 to 17.11), I believe this is AP2 only. It seems like versions are even for AP1 cars (so.. would expect 17.12 for AP1).

10. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The version is based on when it was released. 17.9.xx is 9th week of 2017, 17.11 is 11th week.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  11. GregKo

GregKo Member

Does it still brake when approaching overhead signs and bridges on the highway?

12. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Other then no calibration needed, I almost the opposite experience. Waviness is still there, but the car stays locked in the center of the lane. I believe this is just a rendering issue as the car knows where the center of the lane is.

AP2 has not slowed for overhead issues for a couple of patches now. I think one of the issues is that I drive in an area where there are a decent number of Teslas, not as many as SoCal or NoCal, but north Chicago is fairly well represented. The system seems to improve a noticeable amount every update.

Agree to a degree on the auto lane change. Its smooth until the car is centered over the lane separator then it jerks a bit into the new lane. It almost feels like its going to go into the center divider but never goes past the center of the new lane. It just feels weird, not how a human would change lanes. It definitely will not change lanes if a car is there, I tried.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

"We've added the ability to adjust the front seat headrests..."

Whaaa? Is that only for specific seat types or did they hide the fact that the seats have adjustable headrests?

14. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

Yup, only Premium seats.

15. stephenstohn

stephenstohn Supporting Member

Wondering: any word on Automatic Emergency Braking? Auto High Beam? Rain Sensors?

• Like x 1
  16. croman

croman Active Member

No, no and no. Sucks but that's what's been reported.

17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

For people too lazy to look through the pictures, here's the titles of the release note:
    Improved Autosteer on Highways
    Summon (Beta)
    Auto Lane Change
    Lane Departure Warning
    Favorites Radio Station
    Ratings and Open Hours
    Voice Commands for Favorite Locations
    Headrest Adjustments

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  18. Drekar

Drekar Member

19. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Release notes are definitely specially keyed to your car — when a feature doesn't apply, then that section is just missing from your notes. All that means is that dude has seats capable of adjustable headrests.

• Like x 1
  20. Doubletap67

Doubletap67 Member

• Like x 1