Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems 17.24.28 was just released for AP2. TeslaFi just informed me (but I am still at 17.22.46).

Software version 17.24.28 was just detected on a Tesla model S75D with Autopilot 2 hardware. The highest previous version was 17.22.46. You were alerted per your settings on TeslaFi.com.

So are we to assume that 17.22.46 is like the new 17.24.28? The reports that are coming out sound like the (only few) people who have 24.28 have perpendicular parking and auto brightness, something that is already available to 22.46. I sure as hell don't have silky smooth steering, it jumped a complete lane last night without the blinker on 22.46

So are we to assume that 17.22.46 is like the new 17.24.28? The reports that are coming out sound like the (only few) people who have 24.28 have perpendicular parking and auto brightness, something that is already available to 22.46. I sure as hell don't have silky smooth steering, it jumped a complete lane last night without the blinker on 22.46

Its probably super similar. Elon said last week (Twitter) that there'd be a diff version going out this weekend with "more longitudinal control" so I expect 17.24.28 to potentially be that. But given that it's not going wide yet to the fleet who knows.

Reading these reports, there seems to be differing experiences. Most report improvements, but some gave poor performance. I wonder whether these latter should have their sensors checked for proper alignment? Would be useful to hear if this helps.

Wouldn't surprise me if the software has a hard time compensating for loose manufacturing tolerances on sensor aim.

Reactions: josher32
Wouldn't surprise me if the software has a hard time compensating for loose manufacturing tolerances on sensor aim.
Yes I have thought about this too, my car is at service and I have complained about AP2 perfomance. We shall see though. Have gotten 2 software update alerts also.

I believe that the real important variable is the road itself. Some US local roads seem to don't have bends at all... And definetly some for the highways.

I am on 17.17.17 and Just got back from a week in HIlton Head SC - traveled their from CLT - AP2 performed awesome - I wish I was driving someone who could afford another Tesla - would have definitely got a referral! I was especially impressed with performance on non divided highways - 278 in Hilton Head and SC560 which is before you get to 278 - it worked very well and completely eliminated any fatigue on a stop and go highway suddenly is clear again and going at 60 MPH. Especially along the 278 which you drive on everyday if you are staying in palmetto dunes area - just worked amazing.

On the trip I was telling my wife - that there really is no need for her to drive - as I don't have to do much - I think we are really close to Autpilot primary and driver as backup where only in rare circumstances do you need to do anything. Probably the vision around FSD - if this update coming does even better the only thing more that will really help is recognizing stop lights and signs where AP2 is already working well. Where it is not - super curvy roads with high speed limits and non divided - hills with in coming traffic and sudden stops - may be a while but I can see them fixing a bunch of this.

Longer term I don't think the general public realizes how soon most every car will have these types of features - making what they own today much less desireable ... in particular for affluent leasers and then working its way down the income chain.

I have an odd bug with 17.18.50... if I set a navi destination and start driving, AP is completely disabled and my headlights stay on (at least from the center display). Works fine if I start driving first before setting a destination. Anyone else experience this?

I have an odd bug with 17.18.50... if I set a navi destination and start driving, AP is completely disabled and my headlights stay on (at least from the center display). Works fine if I start driving first before setting a destination. Anyone else experience this?

I observed intermittent availability of driver assistance features with that firmware, on about one-third of trips. The problem appears to have been fixed when I was updated to 17.22.46. I never associated the problem with any action on my part. It might have been related to the use of NAV, but I just don't remember enough details to confirm that theory.

• Informative
Reactions: NarTaX
I got a loaner with 17.22.46 while my X with 17.17.4 is getting serviced (or more accurately while it is waiting to get serviced).

On I-94, 17.22 was considerably worse than 17.17. It was shocking. Lots of hard braking. At one point in stop and go traffic, the car failed to resume driving when the car in front started moving (the car was not in Hold either; it simply failed to track the car in front). At another point, with AS on, the car drove halfway into another lane -- the visible lane on the dash display was in the middle of the car avatar still with the AP lines. Also 17.22 was just as poor at handling a gentle long curve without turn/straight/turn/straight/turn/straight adjustments.

Great.

17.22.46 started rolling out way too early to be the "silky smooth" update. At best 17.24.28 might be it, but not 17.22.46.
Thank god.

Unlike pretty much every release prior, 17.22.46 didn't realize that the 90/94 express lanes were highway: so AS was limited by speed limit. This was a surprise when traffic was zipping along at about 65, I engaged AS, and my car immediately slowed by 10 mph. Got honked at, but not rear-ended... thankfully.

Bring on silky smooth. Any month now.