Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Top 10 Reasons for optimism for AP2 holders...

10). More cameras, more opportunities to catch people taking selfies around my car....

9). Newer is better.... case and point... observe the new POTUS (we are already getting tired of winning)

8). I already spent a lot of money on AP2, and due to my pathological optimism and inability to recognize sunk cost fallacies in my own life... we all know it's gonna be silky smooth at the next update!

7). Multitasking may be the art of doing several things poorly at the same time, Elon is the clearly the exception, if he wants to bore tunnels, explore Mars, figure out AI, and launch two rockets within 48 minutes of each other... who are we to question him?

6.) Even the dumbest sales folks I've met at Tesla, are freaking geniuses compared to the mouth breathing ape humans that sell ICE cars

5.) Has anyone tried other automakers self-driving technology lately? Mercedes, BMW? If so, has anyone lived to talk about it?

4.) Eye's are not intended to be Mobile... however, there is an "i" in the word "mobile", which is who they must have been thinking about when they left Tesla to cash out and begin offering sloppy seconds to other automakers.

3.) I trust the talent.... at least until the talent moves to a new better paying company....

Tesla hires deep learning expert Andrej Karpathy to lead Autopilot vision
2.) Everyone on this forum is a serious Schopenhauer-esque acclimating addict... I swear to god, if the folks on this forum were to be the actor in the movie "Her" they would have given their smart phone girlfriends an eating disorder due to the constant berating comments about how fat their ankles look compared to their sister's (AP1) ankles

and the number 1 very real reason to be optimistic is....

1.) When you look at the model 3 spy photos, and think about the fact that the same hardware is in place as the AP2... you begin to realize that all of you AP2 hardware owning awkward pre-teens are about to discover your first orgasm... at which point, I will be able to spot you taking selfies around my car with one of my 8 cameras.... and don't think the fog can save you perverts... I've got radar all up in this mug.

Top 10 Reasons for optimism for AP2 holders...

and the number 1 very real reason to be optimistic is....

1.) When you look at the model 3 spy photos, and think about the fact that the same hardware is in place as the AP2... you begin to realize that all of you AP2 hardware owning awkward pre-teens are about to discover your first orgasm... at which point, I will be able to spot you taking selfies around my car with one of my 8 cameras.... and don't think the fog can save you perverts... I've got radar all up in this mug.

Wat8.jpg

(Sorry for the value-less comment here but I really enjoyed this whole post).

A Question about 8.1 firmware with HW2 Model S

Took delivery on Friday - June 23rd. Previously had one of the first Tesla's with HW1 and was familiar with how AutoSteer can work. Today I took my first "InterState" drive and the results surprised me. I was on a divided road - 4 lanes in each direction. (Not technically an interstate, but built that way. It was GA 400 north of I-285 if you know the Atlanta area.)

After finding the car trying to steer strongly to the right, I put the car in the extreme left lane. The lane makings were clear - so lane markings were not the issue. The car steered itself to the extreme right side of the lane, hesitated, crossed the right side lane marking and then steered itself to the right side of the next to the left most lane. This repeated itself until I had fully crossed 3 lanes and was partially in the extreme right lane with the right wheels in the rumble strip on the edge of the shoulder.

It is pretty clear to me there is a problem. I don't know if I have a hardware issue or software issue.

There was no ping pong back and forth which others in this thread have reported.

The car is a Model S w/ D90 drive train. The firmware is 17.18.50

I didn't actually see a question in your post, but I infer that you want to know if your problem is something in your particular vehicle. Sadly, the answer to that is no.

AutoSteer works decently under some conditions, and lethally in others. Mr. Musk keeps talking about how great it is, while serially replacing the people heading up the project, apparently desperate to rescue Tesla's reputation. As customers we share some blame. Those of us who bought before the new system was actually deployed are guilty of trusting an untrustworthy company. Those, like you, who bought recently are guilty of not doing the research that's now widely available to learn that reliable auto steer is at best a future deliverable and at worst something that will never work acceptably on an HW2 car.

My advice: Enjoy your new S for its great performance and ecological blessings. Drive it yourself, and count the money you spent on the Enhanced or Full Self Driving scam as a learning experience.

Took delivery on Friday - June 23rd. Previously had one of the first Tesla's with HW1 and was familiar with how AutoSteer can work. Today I took my first "InterState" drive and the results surprised me. I was on a divided road - 4 lanes in each direction. (Not technically an interstate, but built that way. It was GA 400 north of I-285 if you know the Atlanta area.)

After finding the car trying to steer strongly to the right, I put the car in the extreme left lane. The lane makings were clear - so lane markings were not the issue. The car steered itself to the extreme right side of the lane, hesitated, crossed the right side lane marking and then steered itself to the right side of the next to the left most lane. This repeated itself until I had fully crossed 3 lanes and was partially in the extreme right lane with the right wheels in the rumble strip on the edge of the shoulder.

It is pretty clear to me there is a problem. I don't know if I have a hardware issue or software issue.

There was no ping pong back and forth which others in this thread have reported.

Woah, that's definitely well outside the behavior I've seen. I know there's a tendency for AP to function much better in CA than other states, so I can't say for sure if it indicates a problem with your particular car, but that definitely shouldn't be happening. I'd take it into a service center and see if there's some kind of alignment issue.

Reactions: sdorn

I have an S60 from mid-May so AP2 running 17.17.17 and most definitely _do_not_ see this behavior. I use AP daily on weekdays for about 60 miles on the D.C. Beltway and just wrapped up a 200+ mile trip to the beach with AP on 90+% of that. It's definitely not perfect and some lane splits or someone cutting in too close to the front means I need to intervene but for the vast majority of the time it's great. I've never had it pull to a side of the lane then ultimately cross it. Maybe try it (safely without a lot of cars around...) on a couple other highways and see if this is an issue with this particular stretch of road or something more generally off with your car. If the latter, get it checked. I definitely wouldn't even consider trying it on local roads until you're sure the car is working properly. -- Dan

I have an S60 from mid-May so AP2 running 17.17.17 and most definitely _do_not_ see this behavior. I use AP daily on weekdays for about 60 miles on the D.C. Beltway and just wrapped up a 200+ mile trip to the beach with AP on 90+% of that. It's definitely not perfect and some lane splits or someone cutting in too close to the front means I need to intervene but for the vast majority of the time it's great. I've never had it pull to a side of the lane then ultimately cross it. Maybe try it (safely without a lot of cars around...) on a couple other highways and see if this is an issue with this particular stretch of road or something more generally off with your car. If the latter, get it checked. I definitely wouldn't even consider trying it on local roads until you're sure the car is working properly. -- Dan

My ap2 17.17.17 experience is good as well. Daily commute on undivided highway, several long trips. Traffic jams are particularly cool. Lane splits and merge not good. Curve at crest of hill always exciting.

This is not typical of AP2 performance. I use AP2 on the interstates around Atlanta, including GA-400, and it works ok just is a little rough going around curves (ping pongs a little) and when the lane markers get hard to decipher as in construction zones, etc. I'm on 17.17.17 still.

Yeah, if your car is systematically biasing off to a side as soon as you engage AP2, it's time to visit the service center. Most people with that issue either had a steering alignment OR a camera alignment/pitch issue, and it got dramatically better after the service center addressed the underlying issue.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
In the last couple of days I have learned a lot. The serious, veering to the right across multiple lanes happened when the car had 50 miles on the odometer. Now it has 297 miles and I can report things have improved - not to the level I would trust using AutoSteer in heavy traffic - but better. More on performance below -

I have spoken with Tesla Road Side Assistance once (June 24th), two different Service Advisors at a local Service Center and I drove out for a face to face with iPhone images of the dashboard screen. My understandings are:
A certain level of "training" in required before it is even possible to activate AutoSteer.
AutoSteer needs at least a couple of hundred miles on the odometer to be acceptable.
AutoSteer may not be able to self train in some circumstances - if that happens it is possible to "calibrate" the cameras in Service Centers - that process takes a couple of hours - sometimes other work is required which can add time - one example mentioned was installing the latest firmware.

Although this was not specifically mentioned, I came away with the idea self training or self calibration is a continuous, unending process.

The Tech said at this time my Firmware does not support Speed Limit sign reading - so any speed limit data a HW2 Tesla uses is based on GPS, maps and the navigation system. I was told the hardware certainly supports reading speed limit signs.

I was told currently only one camera is being used. Whether that was true of all HW2 vehicles or applied to my firmware (17.18.50) was not stated.

Now about the level of "learning" in the last 250 miles - The car no longer will cross from lane to lane unless the car is placed in the extreme left side of the lane when AutoSteer is activated. In the middle or right side of a lane the car still moves toward the right - it moves far enough the tires actually will be on or cross the lane marking stripes. After about 100 yards, the car move back to the left so the tires are just inside the lane. In another 200 yards the tires are comfortably in my lane, but clearly off center to the right side. (These are my estimations of distance base on time - 60 miles per hour is 30 yards per second.) I do notice another interesting item in the dashboard display - the lanes on the screen seem to jump or move from side to side - but the car is pretty fixed in its lane location. Gentle interstate type curves do not seem to have an effect.

So I have been advised to drive another couple of hundred miles. If at that time things have not improved, I was told to book an appointment for Manual Camera Calibration.

All in all, I don't think what I am seeing in AutoSteer learning curve is a whole lot different than what happened with HW1 back in 2015. The specific observations/issues certainly are different. But back in 2015, as I read experiences and personally found myself barreling up an exit ramp at 70 MPH, I just turned the system off for a few months. Certainly the progress with HW2 has been slower than with HW1 - but I suspect Tesla was doing a lot of system learning in those months before even Lane Departure warning was turned on. Additionally Tesla is doing HW2 alone and it would not be a surprise that MobileEye shared their experience. Also there is no question HW2 is a lot more complex in the sense it has many more inputs and has been designed support autonomous driving - not merely AutoSteer, Summon and limited SelfParking.

All in all, I don't think what I am seeing in AutoSteer learning curve is a whole lot different than what happened with HW1 back in 2015. The specific observations/issues certainly are different. But back in 2015, as I read experiences and personally found myself barreling up an exit ramp at 70 MPH, I just turned the system off for a few months. Certainly the progress with HW2 has been slower than with HW1 - but I suspect Tesla was doing a lot of system learning in those months before even Lane Departure warning was turned on. Additionally Tesla is doing HW2 alone and it would not be a surprise that MobileEye shared their experience. Also there is no question HW2 is a lot more complex in the sense it has many more inputs and has been designed support autonomous driving - not merely AutoSteer, Summon and limited SelfParking.

I'm not sure that's entirely been true. AP1 HW was first offered October 2014 and it wasn't until October 2015 that Autosteer was enabled. Like you, I took a few drives with AP1 when it first was released, had some unpleasant experiences and tabled getting a Tesla until mid-2016.

I wouldn't say progress has been slower in HW2 than HW1. If anything, it's been faster, just Tesla has set a very high bar with AP1 for the level of functionality we expect, not to mention the understandable intolerance to taking a step back.

This is not an alignment issue. It is straight as an arrow going down the road with only TACC.

Your behavior is normal. Sometimes it works decently other times it works terribly. The sad truth is, AP2 is actually AP 0.5. If it doesn't improve definitely take it in for a check up. Do not ever take your hands off the wheel, however, the auto pilot cannot be trusted. Be careful out there.

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp