Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please use this thread to discuss AP2 features of Firmware 8.1.
Please note other threads:

Firmware 8.1 -- Thread for 'general' discussion common to all cars -- things like kernel and browser updates (ha ha), etc

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW1
Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2 (this thread)
Firmware 8.1 - Classics

If I may suggest, you should probably look at re-organizing your forum structure. The advent of multiple models has made things a bit confusing because a lot of things are common to the S/X. For example, I would suggest creating a UI sub section that is at the same level as the Model S/X/3, and eliminating the same from under the S/X banners.

If I may suggest, you should probably look at re-organizing your forum structure. The advent of multiple models has made things a bit confusing because a lot of things are common to the S/X. For example, I would suggest creating a UI sub section that is at the same level as the Model S/X/3, and eliminating the same from under the S/X banners.

I don't own or moderate the forums. I'm just a user. I can only create threads.

When I suggested to the mods to create separate Firmware threads for AP1, AP2, Classics and General, they said "just do it and own it", so I did that to take some of the load off the mods.

All these threads were created under the "Tesla Motors" forum, and not under any particular Model forum, since they are generic to models (mostly). There's no need to spread FW 8.1 discussions around to separate Model forums.

Hello!

Perhaps it'd be useful to have a new AP2 experiences thread for 17.11.3? I see a lot of threads on whether folks got it or not but haven't seen many driving updates yet.

I got the update overnight, drove in a few areas prior to work that I've driven before. Here are some of my notes:
  • No calibration required: release notes said for > 55 mph highway autosteer the cameras would have to calibrate "over several days [of highway driving]". I got on the freeway and immediately was able to set Autosteer up to 80 (and it went to there).
  • Highway autosteer above 55 scared me: I recorded a video but haven't uploaded it yet, but still a lot of VERY wavy lines. This is on a well-marked Los Angeles freeway. It veered across the lane markers multiple times (at speeds > 65 mph) and curves were extremely scary as it jerked around. Even straight lines it would ping-pong periodically between the lane markers. I'm not sure why it was struggling so much since the road conditions were ideal.
  • Waviness not fixed: I mentioned this above but the lane markers on the dash are still very wavy even when at a complete stand-still.
  • Auto lane change is jerky: The auto lane change feature works okay, but it was jerky most of the time as it struggled to "center" itself during the transition... wasn't a very smooth lane change. No cars around, clearly marked highway.
I didn't test local autosteer on some curves I took before to see if it takes them any better yet. I also don't have a driveway that'd work well with Summon so I haven't tried that.

I got the update overnight, drove in a few areas prior to work that I've driven before. Here are some of my notes:
  • No calibration required: release notes said for > 55 mph highway autosteer the cameras would have to calibrate "over several days [of highway driving]". I got on the freeway and immediately was able to set Autosteer up to 80 (and it went to there).
  • Highway autosteer above 55 scared me: I recorded a video but haven't uploaded it yet, but still a lot of VERY wavy lines. This is on a well-marked Los Angeles freeway. It veered across the lane markers multiple times (at speeds > 65 mph) and curves were extremely scary as it jerked around. Even straight lines it would ping-pong periodically between the lane markers. I'm not sure why it was struggling so much since the road conditions were ideal.
  • Waviness not fixed: I mentioned this above but the lane markers on the dash are still very wavy even when at a complete stand-still.
  • Auto lane change is jerky: The auto lane change feature works okay, but it was jerky most of the time as it struggled to "center" itself during the transition... wasn't a very smooth lane change. No cars around, clearly marked highway.

Other then no calibration needed, I almost the opposite experience. Waviness is still there, but the car stays locked in the center of the lane. I believe this is just a rendering issue as the car knows where the center of the lane is.

AP2 has not slowed for overhead issues for a couple of patches now. I think one of the issues is that I drive in an area where there are a decent number of Teslas, not as many as SoCal or NoCal, but north Chicago is fairly well represented. The system seems to improve a noticeable amount every update.

Agree to a degree on the auto lane change. Its smooth until the car is centered over the lane separator then it jerks a bit into the new lane. It almost feels like its going to go into the center divider but never goes past the center of the new lane. It just feels weird, not how a human would change lanes. It definitely will not change lanes if a car is there, I tried.

Are you sure?

Electrek said "Tesla 8.1 update: here are the features for all owners – not just with Autopilot" as the article title when discussing the headrests.

The release notes from here:

Tesla releases 8.1 software update and improves Autopilot 2.0 features: Autosteer 80 mph and Summon

Do not mention premium seats only.

Release notes are definitely specially keyed to your car — when a feature doesn't apply, then that section is just missing from your notes. All that means is that dude has seats capable of adjustable headrests.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Reactions: MorrisonHiker