Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 by the end of January '17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent departure of Sterling and the cloud surrounding that (and Chris Lattner joining and getting up to speed), I'm willing to give them a few weeks of leeway to get this update out. Remember too it's the only production car in the world that gets these major upgrades OTA. Even the Bolt, as new as it is, won't ever get better with OTA updates.

With the recent departure of Sterling and the cloud surrounding that (and Chris Lattner joining and getting up to speed), I'm willing to give them a few weeks of leeway to get this update out. Remember too it's the only production car in the world that gets these major upgrades OTA. Even the Bolt, as new as it is, won't ever get better with OTA updates.
We are already at the "few weeks of leeway to get this update out". It was originally promised for the end of January and people are running out of patience working around the 8.0 bugs.

Been around here since 2011. The communication issues at Tesla are getting very old now. This is no longer a startup. It is also not a dictatorship. It is an answerable public company. There are major plans to go wide spread general appeal with the model E er, 3. Elon's wild predictions are therefore now progressively more unacceptable. Time to mature up, forget the pursuit of.1sec improvements in acceleration, which no one can reasonably use, forget the Easter eggs, and use those resources to produce stable, on time, meaningful software improvements, some of we have been clamouring for for years, such as a decent navigation system, decent media player, and the full promised features of the AP1 system. Time for what features that are there to come out of beta. Don't promise what you can't deliver and don't provide dates you cannot stick to. "Tesla time" is also a very old and terminally sick joke. Enough already.

Been around here since 2011. The communication issues at Tesla are getting very old now. This is no longer a startup. It is also not a dictatorship. It is an answerable public company. There are major plans to go wide spread general appeal with the model E er, 3. Elon's wild predictions are therefore now progressively more unacceptable. Time to mature up, forget the pursuit of.1sec improvements in acceleration, which no one can reasonably use, forget the Easter eggs, and use those resources to produce stable, on time, meaningful software improvements, some of we have been clamouring for for years, such as a decent navigation system, decent media player, and the full promised features of the AP1 system. Time for what features that are there to come out of beta. Don't promise what you can't deliver and don't provide dates you cannot stick to. "Tesla time" is also a very old and terminally sick joke. Enough already.
Couldn't have said it better. Sadly, I'm doubting that we're going to get the promised "major" UI improvements, or any other significant feature that people have been asking for. It seems that they're much more interested in working on the Model 3 (which they're also using us to finance) than making any meaningful improvements to the existing vehicles. Also seeing a disappointing trend towards making the S and X more of a consumer vehicle (to go along with the 3) than something truly special (end of unlimited supercharging, limiting options available in design studio, etc.). I've got about half of my lease left, so very interested to see what happens over the next year or so.

Reactions: Ohm it
We are already at the "few weeks of leeway to get this update out". It was originally promised for the end of January and people are running out of patience working around the 8.0 bugs.

Remember too that they now have two completely different AP systems to program for. AP 2.0 using Tesla Vision is brand new and is built on a completely separate codebase. The last date Musk gave was end of January, which is now. A few weeks of leeways gets us into mid-Feb. TBH, we should be thankful that they haven't shifted even more of their resources to the future of AP, 2.0. That they're still improving on AP 1.0 at all is a good thing that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Reactions: Jevi_S85D
Remember too that they now have two completely different AP systems to program for. AP 2.0 using Tesla Vision is brand new and is built on a completely separate codebase. The last date Musk gave was end of January, which is now. A few weeks of leeways gets us into mid-Feb. TBH, we should be thankful that they haven't shifted even more of their resources to the future of AP, 2.0. That they're still improving on AP 1.0 at all is a good thing that shouldn't be taken for granted.

Who says they are still improving ap1.0? Slowly limiting speed, more hunting in the lane, etc? Just because it can see two cars ahead does not make a difference.

Where are you getting your info (resources, prioritization, what they are working on) from? I follow Tesla news pretty close and I haven't heard any of that nor has anyone tweeted that they aren't going to make their date and need more time.
There is supposed to be an upgrade to the underlying OS, Nav, MP fixes and a bunch of other stuff other than AP 1 fixes in 8.1.
Also, you want us to be thankful for Tesla doing anything for the overwhelming majority of their customers. That makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Andyw2100