Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
v17.11.10 W-iFi
We get Favorite Radio Stations, Ratings & Open Hours, Voice Command update & most importantly doodler screen...
IMG_0121.jpg

Reactions: Hojo
I'm not going to make any assumptions, but...
The last two times I went to the SLC store/Supercharger and charged up, on my way home both times my instrument cluster has frozen up at almost the exact same point in my drive (just before I got home, about 20 minutes after leaving the charger). I know it's about to happen because a few minutes before it freezes it starts to get all jerky and unresponsive, then finally freezes. The main screen continues to work normally, I just lose speedometer and what not. It remains frozen until I do a force restart (holding top two buttons). Then a few hours later I'll get the "update available" notification.
I thought they had turned off geofencing for that stuff but looks like it works again. Got 17.10.42 & 17.11.10 this way.

So this is probably across all cars, but since I have a classic I'll post here:

I have a CPO, and tried out the new "Favorites" radio station on a trip up to Jackson Hole for closing this past weekend. Clearly favorites was linked to the car, and was not reset once I took ownership. (Although everything else from the previous owner was scrubbed away).

So on the "favorites" station, I get a 'fun' compilation of music from someone who has a very different taste in music then I do. Previous owner seemed to be into Beyonce, 90's R&B, hip-hop and soul.... Mixed into that sporadically are my favorites since I took ownership. (Misfits, The Clash, Dead Kennedy's, basically 80's punk).
It was all over the map. Kinda funny.

So this is probably across all cars, but since I have a classic I'll post here:

I have a CPO, and tried out the new "Favorites" radio station on a trip up to Jackson Hole for closing this past weekend. Clearly favorites was linked to the car, and was not reset once I took ownership. (Although everything else from the previous owner was scrubbed away).

So on the "favorites" station, I get a 'fun' compilation of music from someone who has a very different taste in music then I do. Previous owner seemed to be into Beyonce, 90's R&B, hip-hop and soul.... Mixed into that sporadically are my favorites since I took ownership. (Misfits, The Clash, Dead Kennedy's, basically 80's punk).
It was all over the map. Kinda funny.

Well, that ultimately is coming from Slacker Radio in your case, so I would not be surprised if the same account is used for the car after it is sold. You could see about resetting all history in Slacker itself or maybe ask Tesla to switch accounts. I say this b/c any previous thumbs down of songs could potentially prevent you from hearing a song you like.

Well, that ultimately is coming from Slacker Radio in your case, so I would not be surprised if the same account is used for the car after it is sold. You could see about resetting all history in Slacker itself or maybe ask Tesla to switch accounts. I say this b/c any previous thumbs down of songs could potentially prevent you from hearing a song you like.

While humorous (and ear opening to music I wouldn't normally listen too) I have just been removing the thumbs up songs from the playlist that aren't mine. Slowly I'm gaining control of the station. No biggie, but interesting none the less. Slacker is certainly tied to the car, not the owner.

Reactions: Cyclone
Stopped by the SLC service center to pick up my 21" wheels (they repaired curb rash). On the way home, once again, the dash screen froze up. Force reboot, and 15 minutes later I was prompted to install 17.14.23. Geofencing is alive and well it seems. Still wonder why updates crash my dash screen prior to install though.

Stopped by the SLC service center to pick up my 21" wheels (they repaired curb rash). On the way home, once again, the dash screen froze up. Force reboot, and 15 minutes later I was prompted to install 17.14.23. Geofencing is alive and well it seems. Still wonder why updates crash my dash screen prior to install though.

will be at the service center tomorrow for an appt but just got the update this evening, only thing of note to me is the favs station that only plays things you thumbed up. I have been no where near any geofences for a couple months at least just 3g on the car and home wifi.

Did it actually freeze or did it just stutter? It has been said that unpacking and verifying the firmware once it is downloaded is very processor intensive and causes stuttering.

Still wonder why updates crash my dash screen prior to install though.

I wouldn't quite say it froze. The verification of the download package is very processor intensive. Tesla for some reason places that at a higher priority than the messages being dropped on the CAN for updating the information cluster (rather than say, delaying the verification until the car is in park). If you left it alone, the center screen would eventually start updating again. Thankfully, the actual functions you see through the information cluster work in real-time properly. When I last experienced that, I went twenty minutes with my turn signal and brake lights on the center screen, but I definitely didn't drive down I-95 like that. It takes a while, but it eventually comes back. By rebooting, you just delayed the verification process so normal driving can have the processor (as I think Tesla should set up the system to do anyways).

I wouldn't quite say it froze. The verification of the download package is very processor intensive. Tesla for some reason places that at a higher priority than the messages being dropped on the CAN for updating the information cluster (rather than say, delaying the verification until the car is in park). If you left it alone, the center screen would eventually start updating again. Thankfully, the actual functions you see through the information cluster work in real-time properly. When I last experienced that, I went twenty minutes with my turn signal and brake lights on the center screen, but I definitely didn't drive down I-95 like that. It takes a while, but it eventually comes back. By rebooting, you just delayed the verification process so normal driving can have the processor (as I think Tesla should set up the system to do anyways).

Well, the first time it happened, I thought it just froze, so I did a reboot pretty quickly once I realized it happened. (got the update notification after the reboot).
The second time I was aware of what was probably happening, so I finished my drive home (frozen) and did let it sit for a good hour or so before checking on it again, and it was still frozen. After a reboot I again got the update notification pretty quickly after it came back up.

The third time (yesterday) I rebooted immediately after it froze, and almost immediately after it came back up I got the update notification.

This is only the dash screen, the main MCU screen remained working fine each time.

/edit My reboots were just the dash screen each time, holding the top two buttons. Not a main screen reboot holding the scroll wheels.