Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd. Every time I get an update while driving, I don't need to reboot the instrument cluster. I'm glad it comes back right away though. Maybe something changed with one of the 8.x updates. I haven't had an update while driving since 7.1.

Odd. Every time I get an update while driving, I don't need to reboot the instrument cluster. I'm glad it comes back right away though. Maybe something changed with one of the 8.x updates. I haven't had an update while driving since 7.1.
This behavior (crashes before updates) started with 8.1, so you're probably right it has something to do with that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
Updated to 8.1 this past week. I was driving this morning and there was a slight mist so I used the "single wipe" function for the windshield wipers and it turned the lights on as it would if I had actually turned the wipers to on...kind of annoying and new behavior from what it was.

I suspect it is because of the laws in California. In California if you use the wipers you are required to have your headlights on.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: pjoseph and Fiver
Updated to 8.1 this past week. I was driving this morning and there was a slight mist so I used the "single wipe" function for the windshield wipers and it turned the lights on as it would if I had actually turned the wipers to on...kind of annoying and new behavior from what it was.

I don't think that's new behavior. I would typically do just that to turn my headlights on during the day. The headlights always popped on when using the wipers, even a single swipe.

BTW, it's the law in many states that the lights are on when using the wipers.

Reactions: Joelc
I don't think that's new behavior. I would typically do just that to turn my headlights on during the day. The headlights always popped on when using the wipers, even a single swipe.

BTW, it's the law in many states that the lights are on when using the wipers.

It is a new behavior. The lights always came on if you twisted the wiper switch and actually turned them on, but not if you just did a light press on the end of the wiper stalk for a single wipe. I'm aware it's the law in some states if it's raining, but if you've just got a drip on your windshield or you're washing it on a sunny day, there's no need for headlights to come on. There's a whole thread about this new behavior now...

It is a new behavior. The lights always came on if you twisted the wiper switch and actually turned them on, but not if you just did a light press on the end of the wiper stalk for a single wipe. I'm aware it's the law in some states if it's raining, but if you've just got a drip on your windshield or you're washing it on a sunny day, there's no need for headlights to come on. There's a whole thread about this new behavior now...

You're right, sorry -- I never use the end button. I used the knob to turn it to the 'rain sense' mode which just did one swipe and stopped, which turned on the headlights.

Updated to 8.1 version 17.22.46 last week, and now I get a 2-3 second delay every time I plug in the HPWC before the "clunk" and the blue then green pulsating lights. It used to be almost instantaneous. Anyone else notice this? Maybe new handshake protocol?

Just received 17.24.28. Release notes just say this improves our experience. Haven't noticed anything new so far, except the draggable region (≡) on the Tesla popup that reveals the available Easter eggs. Not sure when this was added though. Could be from a prior update.
(Haven't tested the charging delay mentioned above yet.)

One odd experience I had after the update was while supercharging. When I was ready to leave, I pressed the button on the supercharger handle, and the flashing green turned blue, but wouldn't turn white - the port wouldn't unlock, even though I had the button held pressed. When I gave up and released the button, it started charging again - flashing green. Tried several times, and the latch would just not release. The car was obviously unlocked, even the driver's door was open. Tried tapping on the "stop charging" button on the touch screen, still could not get the handle to release.

At the end, I had to use the fob, long press the trunk button to unlock the charge port.

I haven't supercharged in a while, so it even made me wonder for a minute if I was doing something wrong.

The same race condition to lockthe chargeport with the doors unlocked can also happen at other chargers too. I've had it happen on my J1772 adapter at a ChargePoint before. But yeah, just double-clicking to "unlock all" lets the chargeport unlock.

(cross post, but two threads are running in parallel)

Same bugfix build two days ago.

It so happened my wife was driving it, and the car stayed on "powering up" for about 5 minutes when she got in the car, and then the center console functionality appeared to be locked up. Had to have her reboot it, and then all was fine.

Updated to 17.24.28 on 6/23 via wifi at home.
Only noticeable difference is that I am seeing is "Systems are powering up, press brake when this message clears" more frequently than before the upgrade and that it's taking longer for the message to clear even after pressing the brake.