TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by HankLloydRight, Mar 29, 2017.

1. reddy

reddy Member

2017.40 seemed to trash my Homelink. It become unreliable on autoclose, and you couldn't manually toggle the Homelink function if autoclose failed.

Supposedly 2017.42 fixes that, and adds better XM categorization.

2. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

I had the Homelink issue on 2017.40.1 although it was intermittent. Homelink seems fine on 2017.42 so far.

3. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

This is more of a general 8.1 question, but since I have a classic I'm posting here. Does anyone know if there is some sort of hardware limitation on the power seats and steering wheel that prevents them from all moving simultaneously? My Tesla was in service a few days ago and I got a Infinity loaner for the day. (Bleh). One nice thing about it was the easy entry/exit mode in the car moved the seats and wheel at the same time so the adjustment was quick.

When I got my car back from service it had the latest firmware that added Tesla's version of easy entry/exit, and I found it annoying that the movements all happen one at a time: Move seat back, then lift seat up, then tilt seatback forward, THEN move steering wheel in, then finally move steering wheel up out of the way. Is it a software thing for the movements or is the hardware just not capable of all moving at the same time? Any ideas?

If they just can't all move at once, it would at least be nice if the steering wheel moved first (vs last) as that's usually the biggest thing in the way making in/out slightly more difficult.

• Like x 1
  4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, it's really stupid they all can't move at once. I have an "exit" profile and that's how it works there, too.

5. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

For what it's worth, I got 2017.46 3387a54 last night. No new forward facing features to the end user for us classic owners.

6. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

We'll be using the cabin temperature feature of the new update here in cold Canada winter, for sure, keeping the cabin warm while we leave the car for short errands will be super nice.

Won't need the details on the nav screen for supercharging power availability (max kW) as we have an "A pack" battery that only supports 88 kW max charging speed, so even the 74 kW superchargers will be plenty.

7. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

I just got the 2017.50 update and the new version of the app. I don't see the battery warming feature. Is it supposed to be in the app?

Thanks.

8. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

I also just got 2017.50.2, I think it is dependant on being below a certain undisclosed threshold low temp to turn on the battery heater.

9. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

Just read the app description again. If the temperature is near freezing and you precondition the car, then the battery heating occurs. There is no separate button to enable it.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At least for me, that appears to be the same as it's always been. If you preheat the cabin with the app, battery heating takes place too--at least when plugged in and range mode off. I've never preheated the car unless it's plugged in. At 3C preheating the cabin with line off (before 2017.50.2) moves the yellow line from around 15 to over 30. If the charge time ends shortly before driving, then there is no yellow line.

If preconditioning means the preconditioning setting, I wouldn't know as I've never enabled it.

• Like x 1
  11. David99

David99 Active Member

A good charge timer that lets you set the finishing time would, in many cases, eliminate the need to waste extra energy to heat up the battery. Charging the battery warms it up on it's own. The charge losses are used perfectly here.

• Like x 3
  12. dgpcolorado

2017.50.2 release notes:
    Tesla release notes 2017.50.2 1980sf 12-25-17.jpg
    This appeared in some earlier releases but 2017.50.2 seems to be a broader release that includes the classic cars.

I've been playing with easy entry and it works well enough, although I haven't found the best seat and steering wheel position yet. I have the seat move forward, since I sit behind the B pillar for leg room, and the steering wheel goes forward from all the way back, as well up all the way.

As others have said elsewhere, it would be nice if both happened at the same time. I do wonder if the extra wear and tear on the motors is worth it.

• Like x 1
  13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I've seen videos where both the seat and steering wheel move at the same time. I wonder if it is a limitation in older cars, or is moving at the same time a feature of the Model X? (I think the video was a Model X.)

14. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Yea my primary complaint about easy entry is the thing I need out of the way first (steering wheel) is the last thing to move. Did this flip that around?

15. dgpcolorado

Not on my car: the seat moves first, then the steering wheel telescopes, then the steering wheel rises.

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

You can see in Bjorn's new video that the seat and steering wheel move at the same time for his X: (Time 4:27 if you want to skip ahead.)

So it must be a hardware limitation in the older cars.

17. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

I guess this makes sense. Do newer S models also move the seat and steering wheels at the same time?

18. dgpcolorado

Release notes for 2018.6.1:

Release notes for 2018.6.1 1989crop 2-24-18.jpg

19. iffatall

iffatall Member

Tire pressure units for Classics?

20. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Sort of - you can choose PSI in the Units settings, but there's no status app so it doesn't actually do anything. I guess it was just simpler to give everyone the setting.