Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more of a general 8.1 question, but since I have a classic I'm posting here. Does anyone know if there is some sort of hardware limitation on the power seats and steering wheel that prevents them from all moving simultaneously? My Tesla was in service a few days ago and I got a Infinity loaner for the day. (Bleh). One nice thing about it was the easy entry/exit mode in the car moved the seats and wheel at the same time so the adjustment was quick.

When I got my car back from service it had the latest firmware that added Tesla's version of easy entry/exit, and I found it annoying that the movements all happen one at a time: Move seat back, then lift seat up, then tilt seatback forward, THEN move steering wheel in, then finally move steering wheel up out of the way. Is it a software thing for the movements or is the hardware just not capable of all moving at the same time? Any ideas?

If they just can't all move at once, it would at least be nice if the steering wheel moved first (vs last) as that's usually the biggest thing in the way making in/out slightly more difficult.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
We'll be using the cabin temperature feature of the new update here in cold Canada winter, for sure, keeping the cabin warm while we leave the car for short errands will be super nice.

Won't need the details on the nav screen for supercharging power availability (max kW) as we have an "A pack" battery that only supports 88 kW max charging speed, so even the 74 kW superchargers will be plenty.

Just read the app description again. If the temperature is near freezing and you precondition the car, then the battery heating occurs. There is no separate button to enable it.
At least for me, that appears to be the same as it's always been. If you preheat the cabin with the app, battery heating takes place too--at least when plugged in and range mode off. I've never preheated the car unless it's plugged in. At 3C preheating the cabin with line off (before 2017.50.2) moves the yellow line from around 15 to over 30. If the charge time ends shortly before driving, then there is no yellow line.

If preconditioning means the preconditioning setting, I wouldn't know as I've never enabled it.

Reactions: David99
2017.50.2 release notes:
Tesla release notes 2017.50.2 1980sf 12-25-17.jpg

This appeared in some earlier releases but 2017.50.2 seems to be a broader release that includes the classic cars.

I've been playing with easy entry and it works well enough, although I haven't found the best seat and steering wheel position yet. I have the seat move forward, since I sit behind the B pillar for leg room, and the steering wheel goes forward from all the way back, as well up all the way.

As others have said elsewhere, it would be nice if both happened at the same time. I do wonder if the extra wear and tear on the motors is worth it.

Reactions: SmartElectric
As others have said elsewhere, it would be nice if both happened at the same time. I do wonder if the extra wear and tear on the motors is worth it.

I've seen videos where both the seat and steering wheel move at the same time. I wonder if it is a limitation in older cars, or is moving at the same time a feature of the Model X? (I think the video was a Model X.)

Yea my primary complaint about easy entry is the thing I need out of the way first (steering wheel) is the last thing to move. Did this flip that around?

You can see in Bjorn's new video that the seat and steering wheel move at the same time for his X:
(Time 4:27 if you want to skip ahead.)

So it must be a hardware limitation in the older cars.