Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One subtle change is the Easy Entry mode now triggers when you unclick your seatbelt vs before when it triggered upon putting the vehicle in park. If I go to a store, and the passenger runs in while I stay in the car, the seat stays in it's driving position as long as I leave my seatbelt on.

For those of us with early cars the order of movement for easy entry is still frustrating though. The seat still moves first, then the steering wheel. (Vs newer cars where everything moves at once).

I'd prefer the steering wheel move up first, then in, then have all the seat movement happen.
I also appreciate the change to Easy Entry with the seat belt removal, instead of Park. I found with using it that less was more: I have the seat move forward just a bit — I sit behind the B pillar — and the steering wheel move forward and up a bit. Helps with getting out but it doesn't take very long for the movements to happen. Like you I, too, wish the steering wheel would move first or at the same time as the seat.

Totally agree. The steering wheel should move first. I wonder why in older cars you can't move the seats and wheel at the same time?

Like you I, too, wish the steering wheel would move first or at the same time as the seat.

If enough of us write in to [email protected] requesting a change in the order of movements during easy entry perhaps they will listen? I can only assume it's a hardware limitation in our older cars preventing multiple things from moving at once. When was that feature added anyway? Nose refresh cars?

If that's the case, it's odd that we have in the settings the ability to change the reading from bars to PSI. Why give us that if the car doesn't even have the ability to read the new sensors?

They really should just display the tire pressures in random order with vehicles that have the old Baolong type. Certainly more useful than not having anything displayed.

They really should just display the tire pressures in random order with vehicles that have the old Baolong type. Certainly more useful than not having anything displayed.
Agreed, but I reckon they thought that it would cause more complaints than not showing. The correctness of that idea is open to question in my opinion.

I have a classic (pre-AP) MS 85 kWh. Installed the firmware update (2018.12) on Saturday (3/31) night. The map update pop up appeared today - Wednesday (4/4) morning. I have strong WiFi signal at home, and a 100 Mbps internet subscription - pretty sure neither WiFi nor ISP were the bottleneck here. Surely it is Tesla that is taking this long to download, validate, install (and whatever else) the map update.

About the map update:
  1. I do not see any change in center console maps. Still Google Maps. Cannot say if it is vector maps - hard to tell. (Will report here if I figure it out). Someone posted change in colors etc, but I don't see it. The greens look still the same to me.
  2. Got the new interface for navigation on instrument cluster. At first glance, looks like it could potentially be better than what we had - UI-wise - but no big improvement for me yet. Labels for the exits are good, but at the same time, irrelevant exit labels do not need to be this prominent, if you ask me. Also, I thought the old UI was more sleek. The new one is a little too flashy. I may change my opinion with more usage.
  3. New navigation voice. I think I liked the old voice better. Again, may be judging too soon, and no big deal really.
  4. New navigation voice instructions. Clear improvement for my use case. More concise and precise.
  5. No comments on improved routing accuracy, and/or time saving re-routing. Haven't used it enough to judge.
About Elon's comment saying the new nav is light years ahead: It has happened in the past that when a big software update is announced, we actually get it in two parts. The first one does the aesthetic overhaul, with little functional improvement, is often buggy, and has missing functionality that existed before. Everyone (including me) starts screaming - complaining that this is just a change of skin, not really a big update etc. etc. And then an incremental update comes which turns out to be actually the real deal including big functional changes. Of course nothing will satisfy us completely, but this has happened often enough, that I would hold my judgement for a month or two this time. I expect the next incremental update will bring a bunch of new functionality like way-points, route preferences, and even route editing.

Yep my reverse chimes are out too
4 years on relying on the chimes and now they are gone
Called service and Will be fixed in the next update.
Sell me a car that can add features ,But don't take them away !
Makes me wonder about code,
when they update firmware things get jarred.
Fire some beta testers and put me on that team.
its actually quite a serious problem if you are use to them.

• Love
Reactions: Mjsais and neroden
Release notes for 2018.26:

Firmware update2018.26crop 2071 7-21-18.jpg

I don't really "get" this one. The nav update in April was a huge improvement. Is this one a real change or just bug fixes?

Edit: the nav update is "previous release notes" so this is just "minor improvements and bug fixes."

Release notes for 2018.26:

I don't really "get" this one. The nav update in April was a huge improvement. Is this one a real change or just bug fixes?

Edit: the nav update is "previous release notes" so this is just "minor improvements and bug fixes."

I (finally) bumped yesterday from 18.12 to 18.26 and my notes said the same, but what was odd was I thought I already had the maps/navigation update. The maps on the dash had certainly changed with my last update at the end of March, but this time I noticed a significant change on my main MCU maps. They are much more responsive overall. Rather impressive update, more so because I thought I had already gotten it.

Most (all) of the time I leave my maps on Sat view though so perhaps the speed of regular compared to that was what I thought was the update. Now with the proper vector compared to the sluggish sat view the speed is actually impressive.

I (finally) bumped yesterday from 18.12 to 18.26 and my notes said the same, but what was odd was I thought I already had the maps/navigation update. The maps on the dash had certainly changed with my last update at the end of March, but this time I noticed a significant change on my main MCU maps. They are much more responsive overall. Rather impressive update, more so because I thought I had already gotten it.

Most (all) of the time I leave my maps on Sat view though so perhaps the speed of regular compared to that was what I thought was the update. Now with the proper vector compared to the sluggish sat view the speed is actually impressive.
I also always leave my map on sat view, in part because it is lovely to look at where I live.

My sequence was 2018.6.1 to 2018.14.2 (April) to 2018.26. My recollection was that the nav update in April was partly maps pushed and partly a big firmware update but I can't recall which did what. For me the big improvement was a vastly improved energy estimation algorithm when moving between Supercharger Stations on road trips. Nav can now project energy use on road trips at high (70 - 80 mph) freeway speeds accurately, which was not the case before. I also liked the IC nav display improvements (pretty sure that was the firmware update, 2018.14.2 in my case).

Got a chance to try it all out on a routine 2600 mile road trip in May. I learned that I could rely on the estimate of energy left at my next stop, for the first time. Since I routinely stretch the range in my S60 — with 10% battery degradation — on long trip legs, that was a huge improvement for me. The nav update improved some weird routing bugs (taking a long route over the mountains versus the shorter, easier route around the mountains) and introduced some new ones around my home (it now apparently uses 40+ year old USGS quads for roads that were moved two decades ago — go figure).

I can't really judge map speeds because I went from a 3G screen to an LTE screen in February and that may have improved map handling and tile painting. Regardless, it is really good now and pinching the map is near instantaneous.

Haven't had a chance to try out 2018.26 yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck