Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
v17.34 - Bug affecting geofencing?

Nav correctly shows my GPS location, but I noticed the car immediately began charging when I plugged in at home at 6 pm. I have a charge timer set for 10 pm, which the car did not remember. Also did not auto-select my homelink while pulling in the drive way. Reboot did not rectify. anyone else?

Given that the next software update was originally supposed to come out almost a year ago, I'm not holding my breath. This is the longest we've ever gone without a significant software update. Probably due to diverting resources to Model 3 development.

Okay thanks. So probably not before the Model 3 production ramp is " under control " and going well. So probably not before early next year ?

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Okay thanks. So probably not before the Model 3 production ramp is " under control " and going well. So probably not before early next year ?
I'm not sure I'd consider those connected events… Model 3's production ramp problems are more supply-chain, factory process, etc related. The team that works on the infotainment UI and heck even the team that works on Autopilot software are likely well distanced from that, and not being drafted to go down to the factory and fix panel gaps...

I'm not sure I'd consider those connected events… Model 3's production ramp problems are more supply-chain, factory process, etc related. The team that works on the infotainment UI and heck even the team that works on Autopilot software are likely well distanced from that, and not being drafted to go down to the factory and fix panel gaps...

But someone needs to get the software ready...

I have nothing to substantiate it, but the feeling I get is that developers were pulled from the Model S/X "platform" to work on finalizing Model 3 software, which probably shares a lot under the hood but of course has a significantly different UI.

Got my first S in 2012...and this is the first time I've started to feel like this car isn't getting better over time. (First world problems, I know--and it's probably temporary, I hope).

I suppose it's just frustration over the repeated broken promises about the next software update coming "soon"...

• Informative
Reactions: ValueAnalyst
We can all speculate forever, but the truth may never be known.

My personal opinion is Elon and his Exec Team are just overly focused on the future, and forgets that a little more balance is required to not only push the agenda forward towards tomorrow, but also provide the basics AND firmware-only features that extremely satistified owners of today and tomorrow have come to expect in today’s luxury vehicles. When Tesla was first starting out, many of us, myself included, gave the benefit of the doubt that broken code and lacking software-only features available in other lesser vehicles for years would be circled back to. Sadly, as time progresses and his personal commitments seem to be forgotten while he moves on to other prohects, it’s obvious Elon’s priorities are only with his future — not also fixing what’s been acknowledged as broken, or for committed owners who bought into the vision and helped financially get Tesla to where it is today.

I don’t accept that there are bigger priorities — just that Tesla’s Executive Team should deliver better balance accomplishing what is needed for today AND a tomorrow. E.g. putting a handful of engineers sitting behind desks fixing Infotainment bugs and bringing its functionality up to what other luxury vehicles have had for years is financially a drop in the bucket —and would benefit all of the existing and future Tesla fleet — while not requiring the same forward-thinking and extraordinary high-level skill that say future autonomous driving demands. It is though, function and features ordinary owners use on a daily basis TODAY which can make a driving experience a frustrating or extraordinary one.

It all comes down to Elon does not see some of these everyday problems or deficiencies as important, so it is simply not done. I may be in the minority of some of the more vocal posters here, but as much as I love my MS, it’s the broken code and lack of any demonstrated commitment to fixing it, that makes me pause when asked if I would recommend or buy another Tesla one day.

I got a loaner AP1 car and wow what a difference. I took the car along freeway and surface streets where my AP2 Model S has issues and the AP1 car is able to navigate without issue. Smooth as silk and not jerky and no wavy lines, can see cars in teh adjacent lanes, recognize trucks and motorcycles and even lane change smoothly on surface streets. AP2 is still waayyyy behind even on 17.34.xx

I have nothing to substantiate it, but the feeling I get is that developers were pulled from the Model S/X "platform" to work on finalizing Model 3 software, which probably shares a lot under the hood but of course has a significantly different UI.

Got my first S in 2012...and this is the first time I've started to feel like this car isn't getting better over time. (First world problems, I know--and it's probably temporary, I hope).

I suppose it's just frustration over the repeated broken promises about the next software update coming "soon"...
I think you’re exactly right. This isn’t the same company it was. Broken promises lead to a loss of credibility. Sad to say but I’ve pretty much given up on them.

• Love
Reactions: yak-55 and davidc18
We can all speculate forever, but the truth may never be known.

My personal opinion is Elon and his Exec Team are just overly focused on the future, and forgets that a little more balance is required to not only push the agenda forward towards tomorrow, but also provide the basics AND firmware-only features that extremely satistified owners of today and tomorrow have come to expect in today’s luxury vehicles. When Tesla was first starting out, many of us, myself included, gave the benefit of the doubt that broken code and lacking software-only features available in other lesser vehicles for years would be circled back to. Sadly, as time progresses and his personal commitments seem to be forgotten while he moves on to other prohects, it’s obvious Elon’s priorities are only with his future — not also fixing what’s been acknowledged as broken, or for committed owners who bought into the vision and helped financially get Tesla to where it is today.

I don’t accept that there are bigger priorities — just that Tesla’s Executive Team should deliver better balance accomplishing what is needed for today AND a tomorrow. E.g. putting a handful of engineers sitting behind desks fixing Infotainment bugs and bringing its functionality up to what other luxury vehicles have had for years is financially a drop in the bucket —and would benefit all of the existing and future Tesla fleet — while not requiring the same forward-thinking and extraordinary high-level skill that say future autonomous driving demands. It is though, function and features ordinary owners use on a daily basis TODAY which can make a driving experience a frustrating or extraordinary one.

It all comes down to Elon does not see some of these everyday problems or deficiencies as important, so it is simply not done. I may be in the minority of some of the more vocal posters here, but as much as I love my MS, it’s the broken code and lack of any demonstrated commitment to fixing it, that makes me pause when asked if I would recommend or buy another Tesla one day.

I agree 100% with every word of your post.

It still seems like smallest of the smallest features is added only when Elon wants it or is attracted to it personally. It was OK at first, but as Tesla matures, designing everything based on one person's use case (or what comes to one person's attention) will start backfiring. Same goes for fixing bugs.

Reactions: davidc18
I agree 100% with every word of your post.

It still seems like smallest of the smallest features is added only when Elon wants it or is attracted to it personally. It was OK at first, but as Tesla matures, designing everything based on one person's use case (or what comes to one person's attention) will start backfiring. Same goes for fixing bugs.
Yes you should buy from other automakers. Know what to expect in ways of future improvement in cars function.....NONE

Time for a petition signed by AP2 owners? Perhaps putting flyers on superchargers drawing attention to those owners who do not frequent TMC, pointing to a web site where one can sign it?

May be the best way to grab their attention? Single voices on social media to Musk probably would go unseen. not to mention those who don't follow him would not know of the groundswell of discontent.

Reactions: cybergates
I just read one of the well written thread about state of AP2 on the tesla forum and as an AP1 owner, I certainly feel the AP2 owners' pain, having been there back in 2015, when I purchased an AP1 with a Tech package, which was the promise of Autopilot some day. Of course, that day came and retrospectively quicker than AP2.

Back then in 2015, Tesla was working on preparing the X that was so long delayed as it proved to be such a complex car to build. Though X was a different and complex car, it is from a software point of view pretty close to the S. So software teams had work to do to prepare the X version, but mostly, that was the same software, and same AP1 hardware. So AP1 grew fast also thanks to that.
Now, Tesla is expanding with Model 3, an entirely new car. New hardware and new software. And this is the last part of the Tesla master plan. Model 3 is why I bought first some stocks, and then also the car: In the hope that Tesla would succeed and bring to market Model 3, the first mass market EV that makes sense and that I would like to own. The one car that would have it all to convince everyone to move away from ICE.

So I do understand that the S and X are currently put on a side to focus resources on Model 3.

I do also reckon that it's frustrating.

Tesla is pushing the envelope like it is in its nature: aiming at FSD while also developing Model 3 is maybe too much.
I also read on Fred's (great) site Electrek reports of continuous investments by Tesla in Gigafactory extension, new office buildings... which is part of the growth necessary for their developments. Developments need qualified employees. Having done so at some point in my career, I also know that hiring people does not mean great or even good people pop up and positions are filled in immediately. It takes time. Even once you hired people, there is still a learning curve to join teams and get used to the new job, culture, colleagues.

Next to that, they grow the supercharger network. They also started the Energy business. These are imho key differentiators with the other car manufacturer.

I am really impressed how Tesla manages so much in such a short time. Although indeed, there is collateral like slow AP2. Or new updates delivered with bugs.

So long story short, I remain optimistic and keep faith Tesla is really doing their best and for a good cause.

Just my two cents, obviously a biased and subjective opinion, so be gentle with your reactions.

I may be in the minority of some of the more vocal posters here, but as much as I love my MS, it’s the broken code and lack of any demonstrated commitment to fixing it, that makes me pause when asked if I would recommend or buy another Tesla one day.

I don't think you are in the minority, I scratch my head as to why the Infotainment hasn't been improved - I reckon it could be improved to the point were everything else on the market is eclipsed, if that's the case why not do it and advertise "All via a free OTA update". I have a whole PDF file of information I give to chums who are thinking about buying Tesla, I'm certainly vocal, in that, about the misgivings I have about software, including the number of bugs that should have been caught in QA, in particular the ones that are fixed in one version and given back to me in the next ...

I got a loaner AP1 car and wow what a difference.

I had an HW2 loaner yesterday and wow what a difference. Warm feet and no static on the radio ... my car came back ... again ... from supposedly having those points fixed, and if not exactly the same as before then its actually worse ...

Time for a petition signed by AP2 owners? Perhaps putting flyers on superchargers drawing attention to those owners who do not frequent TMC, pointing to a web site where one can sign it?

May be the best way to grab their attention? Single voices on social media to Musk probably would go unseen. not to mention those who don't follow him would not know of the groundswell of discontent.

Driving AP1 was amazing. I felt like this is what they intended with autopilot. I hope they can get AP2 there someday. I think Tesla did not realize just how important and skillful software developement can be. The only solution i think is for them to get MobilEye back - software is prob much harder to duplicate than they realized. AP1 i was totally relaxed thru the most narrowest of freeway lanes with equivocal stripes even. AP2 fumbles around and thrashes the steering unpredictability causing great angst.

• Funny
Reactions: BeesKnees
Driving AP1 was amazing. I felt like this is what they intended with autopilot. I hope they can get AP2 there someday. I think Tesla did not realize just how important and skillful software developement can be. The only solution i think is for them to get MobilEye back - software is prob much harder to duplicate than they realized. AP1 i was totally relaxed thru the most narrowest of freeway lanes with equivocal stripes even. AP2 fumbles around and thrashes the steering unpredictability causing great angst.

got my AP2 2016 Model S back - even with 17.38 feels like a cheap knock-off of the real thing - similar to a counterfeit iPhone or Rolex - it looks the same and even acts the same but it's just not quite like the original was intended. LOL. I think they are making great strides but will they be able to duplicate the original anytime soon?

Reactions: HankLloydRight