Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what would really be nice? In the mobile app I get notifications that a firmware update is available, but why can't I start the update remotely from the phone? I mean provided the vehicle is in a parked, locked state of course.

Put this on my wish list for 8.2.

You know what would really be nice? In the mobile app I get notifications that a firmware update is available, but why can't I start the update remotely from the phone? I mean provided the vehicle is in a parked, locked state of course.

Put this on my wish list for 8.2.

It's a great idea on concept that many have requested but won't be done because what if you take the car to the store but your spouse activated update and you get stuck while it's updating?

It's a great idea on concept that many have requested but won't be done because what if you take the car to the store but your spouse activated update and you get stuck while it's updating?

Simple: don't give your spouse access to the app :D

More seriously, they could geotag the update such that it only allows it if the car is within a close distance of the phone requesting the update, similar to how summon works.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D and croman
Couple of things I noticed today. First of all Homelink doesn't trigger when I back out of the garage if I sit around too long in there. I have to press the Homelink icon to shut it. Not sure if that's new to 8.1 or not. Second, I switched over to those Amazon LED lights posted upthread and didn't notice any difference but when coming home the door fails much less if I come in hot than if I'm coasting in which makes me think the signal is inconsistent. Not sure.
I've noticed this as well. As a result, I've been more diligent to ensure the garage door closes when exiting. I thought it was unique to me as I have had a number of wifi/Bluetooth/iPhone problems at home since 8.0 was introduced. Good to know that others have been affected.

(Off to report this to Tesla.)

Reactions: SlyWombat
Simple: don't give your spouse access to the app :D

More seriously, they could geotag the update such that it only allows it if the car is within a close distance of the phone requesting the update, similar to how summon works.

I've seen people ask about this (remotely triggered software updates) and I have to resist the urge to scream "WHY?!?!?" Is there really this overwhelming need to do a software update for a car that can't wait until the owners physically get to where the car is? Maybe I've gotten burned too many times doing remote upgrades of UNIX servers without physical access (or at least a remote console), but I just don't see the point to triggering a software update from my phone.

If it were up to me (and I'm painfully aware that it's not) I'd rather have Tesla Engineering put the time into something that makes their software more manageable, like maybe showing the version number and release notes for an update before applying it, or something silly like that, which is a common best-practice for hardware/software vendors. :)

Bruce.

I've seen people ask about this (remotely triggered software updates) and I have to resist the urge to scream "WHY?!?!?" Is there really this overwhelming need to do a software update for a car that can't wait until the owners physically get to where the car is? Maybe I've gotten burned too many times doing remote upgrades of UNIX servers without physical access (or at least a remote console), but I just don't see the point to triggering a software update from my phone.

Imagine this: you're home on a late week night, laying comfortably in bed reading your favorite book, when your phone buzzes and it's a software update notification.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell your car to go ahead and update right then and there, instead of getting out of bed, getting dressed, and walking down to the garage to initiate the update?

Imagine this: you're home on a late week night, laying comfortably in bed reading your favorite book, when your phone buzzes and it's a software update notification.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could tell your car to go ahead and update right then and there, instead of getting out of bed, getting dressed, and walking down to the garage to initiate the update?

I'm not in a hurry. I'm gonna wait for you to do the update, take it for a midnight drive, and put the video up on YouTube first. :)

Bruce.

Tesla appears to have made a change to when the car is willing to go to sleep with 8.1 (I'm on 17.14.35) that is of interest to people who monitor their car via a logging site like TeslaFi. Past behavior has been that the car would not go to sleep unless it has not been polled for 15-30 minutes, meaning that the car has a higher vampire loss because it never enters sleep mode. Because the higher vampire loss is an issue for some folks, some logging software/sites, like TeslaFi, implement special logic to suspend polling for a time, allowing the car to go to sleep at the cost of potentially missing some data.

With 17.14.35, I am finding that my car is willing to sleep when idle even while being actively polled. My specific experience is with TeslaFi, where my configuration permits continuous polling once every minute from 7 AM to 11 PM. On days where the car is idle, I am finding the car is entering the sleep even during the daytime hours, when previously it would not. The car may go online for brief periods, but then it happily goes back to sleep. I call this "napping." On days where I use the car, I have seen this napping up until I drive the car. Once I have driven the car, it won't nap any more until the next day, after a night time sleep.

Note that for the car to sleep, it appears that the options for energy savings must be selected and continuously connected must be unselected. This is my configuration.

What it "feels" like is there's a timer based on when the fob unlocks the doors or from when my butt hits the seat because it works perfectly every time if I just get in a back out right away. Not sure but it feels new since 8.1.

Not sure of the timing thing you mention (will have to test that) but I have the same issue with 8.1. With 8.0 my garage would close automatically after I backed out but with 8.1 after I back out Homelink doesn't activate.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Not sure of the timing thing you mention (will have to test that) but I have the same issue with 8.1. With 8.0 my garage would close automatically after I backed out but with 8.1 after I back out Homelink doesn't activate.

And this morning it closed the garage fine. Maybe opening more than one door bfeore backing out is what prevents the garage from closing properly?

Seems like I may have a couple people joining me in another part of the Tesla Twilight Zone with these perhaps new intermittent Homelink challenges you're reporting. Would love to have some friends, but I don't wish frustrating oddities on anyone.

BTW, I have only had 2 additional failures since my original post of this back on 4/7, and for those following that, I've not yet tracked down my new neighbor to be a little more direct suggesting he move the ugly metal beast-of-a-old-trailer parked close to my garage -- in case that is part of my resolution.

Reactions: msnow
Got an update installing now. I'll throw release notes up if someone doesn't before me.

** Update: Screen shot attached. Version is 17.11.45. Yes, I double checked that. 17.11.45. Note, I was still at 17.11.3 prior to this update.

17.11.45.jpg

Last edited:
that's weird... 17.11.45 and 17.16.35 both as new... I have HW2 Model X 90D that got 17.14.35 just less than a week ago..

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App reports that today 1 car had a brand new update to 17.16.35 on HW1... and 2 cars received today new 17.11.45... so weird. there was nothing about AEB on my 17.14.35 last Thursday (I came up to this one from 17.14.23)
There's speculation here (17.11.45 Automatic Emergency Braking) that those who were still on a 17.11.x build are getting the 17.11.45 release. Those on 17.14.x would presumably get something later.

Reactions: chillaban
the 17.14 flavors were for specific bugs in 17.11.3. Most cars are still on 17.11.3 and so would get 17.11.45. Those that had bug fixes might have to wait additional time (maybe Thursday) for the AEB code to be added and verified to the 17.14 releases. Then again, everyone could be going to 17.11.45 and its all numbers anyways.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker