Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Btw - Just updated my car to .36.2 and now it doesn't lock itself anymore and the screens stay on. Yes, I checked the settings and I've rebooted.
That's a shitty function to loose, I just picked up something to come back to an open car with 10k worth of photo equipment in the trunk.

ETA; Toggling through all the settings and doing a brake-reset fixed it. Maybe I went out of sequence in my first go.

Last edited:
I just received a notification there's an update available. Currently the car is V9 2018.50.6. Unfortunately I do not have app access yet (new car) so I don't know what the update contains and I'm wondering if I should allow?

Yes, always allow the update. 2018.50.6 is pretty old now so you should get the latest update to get current. This new update should 2019.8.5 that gives you the new Nav on AP without confirmation.

I just received a notification there's an update available. Currently the car is V9 2018.50.6. Unfortunately I do not have app access yet (new car) so I don't know what the update contains and I'm wondering if I should allow?
Depends on how adventurous you are. :) I always install updates the instant I see they are available. But some like to wait until others have installed and reported on the results. And a few have reported waiting many months to install or not to ever install.

Reactions: KArnold
Btw - Just updated my car to .36.2 and now it doesn't lock itself anymore and the screens stay on. Yes, I checked the settings and I've rebooted.
That's a shitty function to loose, I just picked up something to come back to an open car with 10k worth of photo equipment in the trunk.

ETA; Toggling through all the settings and doing a brake-reset fixed it. Maybe I went out of sequence in my first go.

what is a brake-reset - is that shutting the car down for a period of time and starting it back up again?

And the difference between just rebooting just with the scroll wheels compared to the brake depressed while depressing the scroll bars?
Once I had to call in for some screen related issues. The service person on the phone told me the brake part is just a safety thing for Tesla. Putting your foot down on the brake doesn't make it reboot any different, they just want to be sure you're at a complete stop when resetting the car to cover their butts just in case.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Still holding out with 8.1 here, rocking version 2018.3.4.1. My car has given up on the update popup that I had to close every day which is great. Still enjoying keeping the backup camera on top with waze browser on the bottom, which is the best way to drive.

Anything new make updating worth it yet? I have a 2016 model S with AP 1.0.

Here's the things making it tempting for me, but haven't swayed me yet:
Battery pre-heating for superchargers
Dynamic blinking brake light
Browser update (was this an actual improvement or just a little security patch?)

I don't have a dog. Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sxnahm
Here's the things making it tempting for me, but haven't swayed me yet:
Battery pre-heating for superchargers
Dynamic blinking brake light
Browser update (was this an actual improvement or just a little security patch?)
You won't get any of those things. The battery thing and brake light haven't been delivered to anyone, near as I can tell, and the browser update was for MCU 2 only.

You won't get any of those things. The battery thing and brake light haven't been delivered to anyone, near as I can tell, and the browser update was for MCU 2 only.
The battery thing is rolling out now from what I've read, just in time for summer...

Separate from the battery thing though, you aren't getting anything else for Classic S/X.

This brings up a valid question though. Has there been any improvements to AP1 recently or is it frozen? If frozen, when did it development stop? Not talking about new features development, I mean are they at least still fixing any remaining bugs?