TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Firmware 8.1

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jjh1234, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

I wish I wasn't one of the first to get V9.. Would have given me time to read all the negative reviews and avoid updating my car. Now I'm stuck with a less capable car.

2. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

#262 CK_Stuggi, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Btw - Just updated my car to .36.2 and now it doesn't lock itself anymore and the screens stay on. Yes, I checked the settings and I've rebooted.
    That's a shitty function to loose, I just picked up something to come back to an open car with 10k worth of photo equipment in the trunk.

ETA; Toggling through all the settings and doing a brake-reset fixed it. Maybe I went out of sequence in my first go.

3. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

I just received a notification there's an update available. Currently the car is V9 2018.50.6. Unfortunately I do not have app access yet (new car) so I don't know what the update contains and I'm wondering if I should allow?

• Like x 1
  4. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

Yes, always allow the update. 2018.50.6 is pretty old now so you should get the latest update to get current. This new update should 2019.8.5 that gives you the new Nav on AP without confirmation.

• Disagree x 2
  5. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

Thank you, I'll allow it tonight.

6. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Depends on how adventurous you are. :) I always install updates the instant I see they are available. But some like to wait until others have installed and reported on the results. And a few have reported waiting many months to install or not to ever install.

• Like x 1
  7. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

Guess I'm adventurous ;)

Find out tomorrow how it turned out :confused:

8. rbgliny

rbgliny Member

what is a brake-reset - is that shutting the car down for a period of time and starting it back up again?

9. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

8.4 Dog Mode & a soft key for mirror folding.

10. pjw65

pjw65 Member

This thread is about Firmware 8.1, not 2019.8.1 :O
    Your're all on V 9.0 :)

• Like x 1
  11. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

Sorry, it was near the top because it is a sticky.

12. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

No, it's stepping on the brake while performing a reset. Keeping the brake depressed all the time until the T appears on the screen.

13. rbgliny

rbgliny Member

And the difference between just rebooting just with the scroll wheels compared to the brake depressed while depressing the scroll bars?

14. CK_Stuggi

CK_Stuggi Member

• Like x 1
  15. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Once I had to call in for some screen related issues. The service person on the phone told me the brake part is just a safety thing for Tesla. Putting your foot down on the brake doesn't make it reboot any different, they just want to be sure you're at a complete stop when resetting the car to cover their butts just in case.

• Like x 1
  16. immolated

immolated Member

#276 immolated, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Still holding out with 8.1 here, rocking version 2018.3.4.1. My car has given up on the update popup that I had to close every day which is great. Still enjoying keeping the backup camera on top with waze browser on the bottom, which is the best way to drive.

Anything new make updating worth it yet? I have a 2016 model S with AP 1.0.

Here's the things making it tempting for me, but haven't swayed me yet:
    Battery pre-heating for superchargers
    Dynamic blinking brake light
    Browser update (was this an actual improvement or just a little security patch?)

I don't have a dog. Anything else I'm missing?

• Love x 1
  17. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

You won't get any of those things. The battery thing and brake light haven't been delivered to anyone, near as I can tell, and the browser update was for MCU 2 only.

18. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

The battery thing is rolling out now from what I've read, just in time for summer...

Separate from the battery thing though, you aren't getting anything else for Classic S/X.

This brings up a valid question though. Has there been any improvements to AP1 recently or is it frozen? If frozen, when did it development stop? Not talking about new features development, I mean are they at least still fixing any remaining bugs?