Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks
Received 8.5 last night. Tested NAP with auto lane changing this morning.... Had to take over 75% of the lane change attempts. :( This has been a problem for me since 2 updates ago. The vehicle signals a change, attempts to change, and then panics and moves back into the original lane. Does this a couple times before I just finally have to take over so other drives don't think I'm hammered. There was nobody in the lane each time this happened. Cameras are clean, sensors are clean. What gives!?!?!

Still sounds like a camera issue. Misalignment? Call service.

Still not quite sure what the stoplight warning is supposed to do. I clearly should have gotten one today after going about 40 up to a red light, with noone in front of me.

I also think the 5% is noticeable. Even the sound the car makes is different.

Also, no range increase...

I don't know that's true. I literally got a Software Update Notification after being connected to 1 bar wifi for 15 minutes. (First wifi I've had in five days).

Upgrading from 8.3 to 8.5 after five days on 8.3
This subject has been covered on here previously. And that is precisely what Tesla service told me when I complained that I hadn't received an update in a couple of months. I subsequent Lee put in a very inexpensive repeater and have all bars.

Received 8.5 last night. Tested NAP with auto lane changing this morning.... Had to take over 75% of the lane change attempts. :( This has been a problem for me since 2 updates ago. The vehicle signals a change, attempts to change, and then panics and moves back into the original lane. Does this a couple times before I just finally have to take over so other drives don't think I'm hammered. There was nobody in the lane each time this happened. Cameras are clean, sensors are clean. What gives!?!?!

Same exact issue here. Started with 8.3 I think (maybe one release earlier). It fails more than it succeeds. It would rarely ever fail before.

I have not tested 8.5 yet, it downloaded last night.

If it doesn't get it the first time I take over before it swings back, I could be swinging back into another car that decided to pass because it saw me moving over, so I never take that chance.

Same exact issue here. Started with 8.3 I think (maybe one release earlier). It fails more than it succeeds. It would rarely ever fail before.

I have not tested 8.5 yet, it downloaded last night.

If it doesn't get it the first time I take over before it swings back, I could be swinging back into another car that decided to pass because it saw me moving over, so I never take that chance.

Got my 3 a week ago. One day it will do 9 out of 10 lane changes without a hitch, the next day, same roads and time, it'll do exactly what you're describing 9 out of 10 times.

I haven't gotten the 8.5 update yet, but hoping that will make it more consistently reliable.

Still not quite sure what the stoplight warning is supposed to do. I clearly should have gotten one today after going about 40 up to a red light, with noone in front of me.

I also think the 5% is noticeable. Even the sound the car makes is different.

Also, no range increase...

I just read the patch notes, it should only come up if autosteer is engaged.

My bigges issue with 8.5 is that the car is still unable to drive straight in its lane before intersections with additional slow down/turn lane. It still fails in many cases to avoid swinging between the lanes, possibly thinking it is a wider lane, and then recognizing this as a fork.

Reactions: noicepls
Just drove from Columbus to Cincinnati on 8.5 and NoA with auto lane change was very nice. It stayed in the left lane most of the time instead of keep wanting to get back into the right lane. It also seems to no longer ping-pong in lane any more at all.

I'm one of the people that got 8.3 earlier so I've noticed less range because I'm been mashing the accelerator all time in the city and in the tricky spots on the interstate where I take it out of autopilot. 45 MPH on up seems noticeably faster to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Only one commute with NOA on 8.5 but so far very happy with the results. This is what I've been waiting for. Timing and execution of lane changes were excellent. NOA is more cautious than I am but I'm ok with that. So far very impressed.

NOA is definitely a more courteous driver than I am. I’d generally flick on my blinker and then start to change lanes half a second or so after doing so, while NOA flicks on the blinker and then waits for a second or two before moving. I’d also accelerate or decelerate to get to the GAO I was targeting before flicking on my blinker while AP flicks it on and then does it’s manuevering to get to a gap to change lanes. More courteous, but I do it my way because of how often people speed up to keep you from changing lanes in front of them so I’m not sure how well NOA will do in heavier traffic where gaps can disappear pretty quickly if you signal too long and aren’t assertive enough moving into the space.

but the bigger change I'm feeling from 5.15 to 8.5 is the standard regen which feels much smoother now. I don't feel as much of a lurch forward when letting off the accelerator for regen, and it definitely feels more like a natural coasting feel when letting off the accel slightly in moderate traffic
I presume you are talking about very low speed? I guess you know that at freeway speeds, regen braking doesn't have much of a lurch forward.

Was upgraded yesterday. Not much new compared to my previous version (8.4) besides the "seamless" NoA. Good news: the black screen on the backup camera after putting the car in reverse seems to be fixed; on 8.4 it almost always took 5-10 seconds for the camera image to show up, now it's instant again. Bad news: the USB power issue that prevents the Qi charge pads from Taptes and Jeda to work when they are directly plugged into the ports is still there.

I tried NoA without confirmation on and I was pretty impressed with the improvements but it definitely needs more work to be used without frequent disengagement. There were a lot of positive changed behaviors in this release. I only got to try it for about 40 minutes so I'm not entirely sure if these are improved behaviors or if it was just a fluke. But to be fair, the freeways and interchanges in my area can be rather difficult even for some humans. There are a lot of interchanges and connectors, and it's usually quite congested.

1. NoA is much smoother on acceleration and deceleration. It used to make my passengers carsick as it would frequently accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake, especially on curves. It's a lot smoother now.It still does has instances where it enters a curve, speeds up, and immediately hits the brakes but it's not as frequent.

2. Stopped car detection: There's a portion of the freeway that is always stopped like a parking lot (55 NB). When approaching stationary vehicles at about 75 MPH, the car would usually brake at the very last second. But this time it slowed down far in advance and stopped very smoothly. Not sure if it was luck or if something actually changed with detection of stationary vehicles. I'll have to test it out and see.

3. When vehicles are merging from other lanes, it's a bit smarter and maintains speed to pass the vehicle before it merges. In previous versions if it detected there was a lane merging on the right it would brake regardless which was very annoying.
Now some issues that I noticed on my commute in moderate/heavy traffic:

1. Lane Guidance: I still get incorrect lane guidance, especially with HOV enabled which gets me in the wrong lanes for interchanges. It either doesn't know an HOV connector exists in some cases, or thinks that one exists when there isn't one.

2. Not aggressive enough: Even with Mad Max enabled, it will gladly follow a slow truck for a while before suggesting a lane change (if it lane changes at all). Also when merging onto another freeway, it's not fast enough to match the speed of traffic. Even when there isn't another car in the lane that is merging, it will slow down to about 45 MPH when it should be going at least 65-70 which causes me to override it. Another small annoyance is that it doesn't use turn signals when merging with other lanes...

3. Lane Change Maneuvers: As soon as the car decides is needs to make a lane change, it slams on the brake and tries to get into the lane behind the car. This is especially an issue in the fast lane when going into a slower lane as it slams the brake and causes cars to pile up behind me while it makes the maneuver.Even when there a ample space in front of the adjacent car, it automatically tries to get in behind it all the time. With confirmation off, I would just wait until I passed the slower car until I confirmed the lane change. I drew a little diagram below too.
BEFsZ4X.png

4. Doesn't Accelerate Fast Enough: When changing lanes into a faster lane, the car doesn't speed up until it is fully situated in the new lane. This is kind of odd because the manual does list Overtake Acceleration which is supposed to accelerate just prior to changing lanes. Kind of annoying when NoA tries to pass another vehicle using the faster lane but causes the approaching car from behind to hit the brakes because it does not accelerate quickly enough. And it certainly doesn't accelerate fast enough when getting off an interchange.

5. It doesn't yield/react to turn signals of other cars. I have to disengage it to let other cars in when they are changing lanes. I saw reports that it was able to detect turn signals and yield for cars but I have never seen it work.
This update was a pretty big change to NoA behavior, but there are definitely improvements to be made before I see myself using this regularly, especially with confirmation off. I find myself disengaging the system rather frequently.

Got the update last night to 8.5 from 5.15. A few things that I noticed:

1) The GPS seems to be buggy. I use GPS every day going to work since I got the car April 2018 and it was fast re-routing and showing fastest route. This morning when I used the GPS w/ the new 8.5 update, the route it gave was strange and increased my arrival time by 10 mins. I didnt take the advised route but was weird for it to show different route being longer.

2) The GPS re-routing is much slower, it actually takes about 2 mins to re-route which is weird. Before the update (5.15) when I miss my exit or turn it re-routes within a couple of seconds.

3) The EAP is much better with the 8.5 update. I noticed in the 5.15 there was more phantom breaking (well not sure if its phantom but I noticed a car in the lane that is pretty centered but on my screen it shows them over the line) which possibly cause my car to break abnormally. But in the 8.5 its much more smoother. I will use it again on my drive home (30 mile commute).

4) Also I did not get the range increase at all. Before 5.15 my range was always spot on @ 80% SOC 248 miles and was like that until a few days after the 5.15 update. Then it shows 80% SOC with 232 miles (which equates 290 miles * 80%). So I will try tonight to charge to 100% unless it is not advised. But I remember a couple of months ago some users and youtuber (LikeTesla) said to charge to 100% to re-calibrate. If you guys disagree let me know so I wont charge to 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and jrad6515
Anyone else’s stereo get 3 louder in 8.5? Mine is def going to 14 now, 3 past 11.
Possibly. I haven’t cranked it in a while. I did tonight and I noticed the trim above the door rattling. I was thinking I’ll have to let them know the cars trim work is making noises when the stereo is cranked.

That is one of the things that amazed me about this car. In the younger days when we put stereo systems in our cars, the cars rattled so much that was half the sound you heard. I was amazed that I could crank the stereo and have virtually no distortion and the cars parts didn’t make a sound. Truly an audiophiles dream.