Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 8.5 last night. Car didn't make any lane changes on its own this morning while on NoA, so I guess I have that turned off. But, when I try to use the stalk to change lanes, it still does the hesitation dance. Been that way since it went to 15.5
You folk aren't talking about the issue of not holding the blinker switch until the lane change is complete are you? That had me confused for a while. It seems you need to signal until the lane change is complete.

Got 8.5 last night (just a few days after 8.4)- Planned to test NoA this morning but it was pouring and got the dreaded NoA not available due to bad weather message.

On the bright side the backup camera being black for the first 5 seconds issue introduced in 5.15 seems to be fixed.

Reactions: Matt L
thought I would put in my 2 cents FWIW regarding the power increase after the update.

May be placebo affect, but definitely feel slight more pull past 25~30mph, change in torque where it doesn't feel as linear as before

but the bigger change I'm feeling from 5.15 to 8.5 is the standard regen which feels much smoother now. I don't feel as much of a lurch forward when letting off the accelerator for regen, and it definitely feels more like a natural coasting feel when letting off the accel slightly in moderate traffic

Can't speak on NoA as I dont have any options on my 3 but really impressed with the regen feel and increased acceleration in this upgrade

• Funny
Reactions: cbardeen
You folk aren't talking about the issue of not holding the blinker switch until the lane change is complete are you? That had me confused for a while. It seems you need to signal until the lane change is complete.
You don't have to hold down the blinder switch the entire time. You just need to turn the full turn signal on instead of the short 3 blink turn signal.

Just got 8.5 from 7.11. Excited to give the 5% increase and auto lane change a try on my Costco run today. 4.5-4.1 is a huge 0-60 improvement. People spend a lot of money on really uncomfortable rigs with poor utility to get that kind of performance

I, just recently, noticed that as well. I suspect it started in 8.3 or earlier if I have an earlier 8.n. Is it braking or simply ceased accelerating, forcing rapid deceleration due to regen? I don't know as, while it was noticeable, it wasn't lurching, I didn't feel my body violently thrust forward. And, it was very short lived. But the point is still valid in that, given the distance to target, it could have done nothing or just slowed down a tad. What may be unfortunate is that the events are so short lived that drivers don't initiate a disengagement which is what Tesla tracks for things needing improvement.
Think of version 9 as the overall graphical interface. I believe the first version 9 release was with 2018.39.x. All updates since then are considered version 9, at least until they release version 9.x or 10 of the interface. Normally when we talk about versions here we are referring to the actual version number of the software itself. In this case it's 2019.8.5. The versions are numbered based on year, then the week of the year and then a sub-version. So version 2019.8.5 is based off of a build from the 8th week of 2019 and is the 5th revision of that build.

People use firmware and software interchangeably on here all the time. Software is the more correct term when talking about new version releases for the Tesla vehicles. Software typically refers to something you directly interact with such as an OS or an app. Firmware is the software that controls hardware at a low level. Firmware is just a specific kind of software. It's very possible that many of the updates our cars get include both software and firmware updates, but as a whole I usually refer to the update as a software update.

OK, I just checked and I'm running on 2018.50.6 4ec03ed. Does that mean I'm way behind? If so, should I do something to acquire the latest?

OK, I just checked and I'm running on 2018.50.6 4ec03ed. Does that mean I'm way behind? If so, should I do something to acquire the latest?

Yeah you’re pretty far behind. 2018.50.6 was released in early January, so you’re about 3 months behind on updates now. Is your car connected to WiFi at home? Most updates will only get downloaded to your car when it is connected to WiFi.

Reactions: preilly44