Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, Q1 2019 deliveries were impressive (see Tesla Deliveries Up 110% In Q1 2019 vs. Q1 2018 | CleanTechnica). Don't believe the FUD.

That's not really impressive given Q1/18 they were still in production hell and didn't have nearly enough Models 3 to ship. Most trims of the 3 didn't even exist yet Q1/18.

Remove model 3 numbers from both quarters then Q1/19 looks horrendously bad for S/X.

There's a lot of possible reasons for this- demand pulled forward for Q4/18 for tax credits, Model 3 eating into S sales, Y announcement into X sales (though that's low odds given how late the announcement, or even the announcement OF the announcement, happened), or just folks hanging on for a refresh of S/X we know is coming.

The 3 numbers are down from last quarter too, but that's in part because of the tax credit demand pull in Q4/18, and in part because so much of the Q1/19 was in delivering cars overseas and once again Tesla failed to understand in advance how to deliver a lot of cars so they ended up with like 20% of their production not actually making it to customers for the quarter- those will just improve Q2/19s numbers assuming they figure out how to deliver competently overseas in numbers in the next month or two.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Got 8.5 on Thurs - coming from 5.16. NoAP was very clunky in 5.16 and is definitely better in 8.5 and I used lane change without confirmation. Still some lane change hunting but definitely less. Also I did have the camera blackouts and it is less now but still there occasionally. My major run on NoAP in 8.5 was Mountain View CA to Truckee CA (230miles) and 90% of it was on NoAP and pretty solid but as earlier posters pointed out in heavy heavy East Bay traffic I would have to go peddle assist occasionally but with medium or light traffic it was solid - minor lane change hunting still there but 5X less than before. Also off ramps seemed better - The one from I-80 in North Sac that keeps you on 80 vs going to 50 never worked previously but was flawless last night. Also the off ramp to the Rocklin CA Supercharger was dicey previously and again it appeared much better. I was also driving in the rain and a couple of times NoAP kicked out to regular EAP due to weather and gave a warning.

Last note auto wipers appeared to work 10X better - not perfect but at least very useable vs before you had to literally measure for the correct rain droplet size before relying on them.

Net net so far a solid release.

Actually, Q1 2019 deliveries were impressive (see Tesla Deliveries Up 110% In Q1 2019 vs. Q1 2018 | CleanTechnica). Don't believe the FUD.
It's not bad news, it is completely predictable. Q4 2018 was flooded with orders to save $3750 over January 2nd orders. The real proof of the pudding will be 2020 orders. What is the avg orders between Q4 and Q1?
How did S and X orders do Q1 vs Q12 018. Apples to apples, Model 3 wasn't selling Q1 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycle11111
It sounds like "new" lanes don't have markings where you are?

And that when lanes are combining the lines between them go away while they're still wide or something?

Correct. And these are very common marking patterns in California, so it seems like one Tesla should be accounting for.

4295A77F-7F70-4014-9C73-DAD698CFCED2.jpeg

FA376F9E-33DD-419A-9E88-308AA65FBD04.jpeg

Once I got 8.4 my entire autopilot system failed, didn't improve with 8.5, Tesla support on the phone said they have had several reports of this and say the car it's safe tip drive. I find that hard to believe when they told me emergency braking is disabled and all other camera related safety features are broken.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCarFan
Sorry to hear. I had this on 8.3, to the point I kept arguing/fighting with the touch screen, though not on 8.5. If anything a mile away from exit it was saying it really needed to move over 3 lanes and did, because I hadn’t noticed freeway interchange.
LA traffic and NoA *must* have been the stress test!?

I think it's easily fixable for them tho - they just have to add some options for moving over how close to the exit (this may depend on driver style, some drivers switch 4 lanes in less than 1/10 of a mile to exit, I prefer to move over gradually over the last 2 miles esp with heavy la traffic). Something like driving style : Cautious (slower lanes) or Aggressive (fast lane) - or this should be based on speed of traffic and speed set on cruise (but right now it doesn't seem to work that way or maybe they are still needing to refine it). Also something like Use carpool lane whenever possible (ON/OFF) - right now it favors the carpool lane, but sometimes I prefer to stay out of it esp late at night and when there's zero shoulder on the left (california) or if driving alone / no EV sticker. Overall, what impressed me is the relatively smooth lane changes and no more of the ping-pong aborted lane chagnes of 8.4. I will probably keep experiementing with it and have NoA off until I click it and have auto-lane change without confirm ON and just turn off NoA if it becomes too annoying for excessive lane changes and drop to autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeBur
Has anybody noticed that it seems that the normal way you might hold the steering wheel while in autopilot isn't enough for NOA no confirmation. It makes me re-grab it or grab it harder.
Grabbing the steering wheel isn't enough. You must pull it one way or the other with enough force in order for AP to sense you are holding the wheel.

My default when using AP is to grab the 9 position and pull down very slightly. It never nags when I do this.

Reactions: SergeyUser
Grabbing the steering wheel isn't enough. You must pull it one way or the other with enough force in order for AP to sense you are holding the wheel.

My default when using AP is to grab the 9 position and pull down very slightly. It never nags when I do this.
That doesn't sound pleasant! I wrap my thumb over the spoke at the 9 o'clock position. The weight of my left arm is enough to make the car happy.

Just drove from Columbus to Cincinnati on 8.5 and NoA with auto lane change was very nice. It stayed in the left lane most of the time instead of keep wanting to get back into the right lane. It also seems to no longer ping-pong in lane any more at all.

I'm one of the people that got 8.3 earlier so I've noticed less range because I'm been mashing the accelerator all time in the city and in the tricky spots on the interstate where I take it out of autopilot. 45 MPH on up seems noticeably faster to me.
Yeah, constant mashing of the accelerator pedal will take a serious toll on mileage. One is not supposed to hang out in the left lane. It's intended for passing. That is precisely the problem with NoA, it dives for the left lane. When there are 3 or 4 lanes it seems to behave predictably, but on 2, it should stay in right lane.

Last edited:
It sounds like "new" lanes don't have markings where you are?

And that when lanes are combining the lines between them go away while they're still wide or something?

Here each lane has its own lines the whole time- so I've never seen what you describe.

When a lane goes away it just gets narrower till it's gone... and when a new one appears it gets wider till it's full- but any lane you're already in stays marked as a normal width lane.

I have this same problem in Michigan with AP2. No lines for merging traffic which causes a wide lane. AP then tries to center. So the real problem is that the state should really put in lane markers for merging lanes. But since they don’t, AP needs to deal with this.

I just hold the 8 position while resting my elbow on door and let the weight of my arm be enough confirmation. Never change even when feeling the wheel turn. Works great.

Reactions: Stellavator
I have this same problem in Michigan with AP2. No lines for merging traffic which causes a wide lane. AP then tries to center. So the real problem is that the state should really put in lane markers for merging lanes. But since they don’t, AP needs to deal with this.

On some roads in GR this seems to have improved over time. But some instances of extreme ping ponging still happen. Drivers behind me have to wonder what’s going on.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Yeah, constant mashing of the accelerator pedal will take a serious toll on mileage. One is not supposed to hang out in the left lane. It's intended for passing. That is precisely the problem with NoA, it dives for the left lane. When there are 3 or 4 lanes it seems to behave predictably, but on 2, it should stay in right lane.
My car was continually passing people though for well over 50 miles. Traffic was medium to heavy and NoA was running with the fast crowd.

My car was continually passing people though for well over 50 miles. Traffic was medium to heavy and NoA was running with the fast crowd.
What's interesting about this is how mileage is determined. For instance, look at Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com there is avg mileage, what used to be 310 for LR and then look at mileage for constant speed driving 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 etc... It's much higher. For the LRD (AWD Long Range) it's avg is 309 where LRRWD is 332 but look at 65, 325 and 350. If you let TACC manage speed, you'll see closer to those higher numbers. Obviously stop and go driving seemingly precludes a constant speed...or does it? If one goes from several car lengths to 'on their bumper' consider a constant 5 or 10 mph. YMMV.