Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8: Anticipated feature list, expected release date

When do you think Model S Firmware 8.0 will be released ?

• First half 08/2016

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Second half 08/2016

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • First half 09/2016

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Second half 09/2016

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 10/2016 or later

Votes: 39 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's speculate on when this will roll out. I get the feeling it is imminent, voting for 1st half of August, but perhaps delayed to add security (at least the "optics" of enhanced security ? more speculation below), and for summer vacations, so maybe not August but September... ?

As for what's in store, the TMC forum leak thread is here:
Firmware 8.0 information leak

(An aside for Mods, Firmware could be the single most ideal General topic item for the Tesla Model S, no ? Firmware, especially major version upgrades, affects almost all systems, not just User Interface. My opinion.)

From that thread, the Electrek.co beta leak:
Exclusive on Tesla 8.0 update: new Autopilot features, biggest UI refresh since launch and much more

On the NAV update I can't wait to "Avoid Toll Roads" as the current routing is "not cool." Will I also be able to avoid/remove a road in general ? That would be great. Are we getting the ability to add a Waypoint or two to our journey ? These are just for my daily use, there are of course the long distance charging enhancements we also anticipate.

Autopilot "enhancements" scare me since I don't really want for any, and will forever now, sadly, have the fear of feature reduction (I am baffled by "taking exits" being a new thing, it already crosses dashed lines, and then follows lines as long as it can, so I'm not sure what we're talking about here).

On enhanced safety, perhaps they are adding more safety features for version 8 to show that they are working overtime to address the safety concerns. I sure hope they don't go overboard, I allowed Autopilot to navigate some interesting roads recently and was rather impressed that it did not trigger an emergency and slam on the brakes eg. when driving towards a brick wall before a turn. I think the system works really great today, as it was designed, as a driver assist, or "auto pilot" system in the aviation sense, to assist the driver, not to replace.

A new look to the touchscreen interface is neither here nor there for me (though some parts could use a refresh) but enhancements to the Autopilot dash display including the perceived angle of a vehicle on the live display will further enhance safety.

A new browser will be great, as I actually get a lot of use out of it. Even simple screen sharing web sites like join.me trip the current one up, and even news sites are starting to get so clouded with advanced ads and pop-ups that it is getting difficult to read content, so I'm really hopeful here.

Perhaps one day we'll get a full browser experience, eg. including YouTube streaming (over WiFi only if the bandwidth is a concern) when in Park... there doesn't seem to be any legal or technical reason stopping it (but perhaps a media shitstorm at this exact point in time, sigh "when someone hacks it, and watches Harry P...").

For the audio stack, I think we are all hoping for a major refresh not in the interface but in the guts of the thing. Playback skipping, "shearing" (esp. with FLAC) or otherwise dropping, issues with USB, any long file playback is highly risky, especially when streaming and especially with the last firmware update crippling my 3G (dropping constantly). You forget how important having the connected car connected actually is, until it is disconnected :mad:

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I am hoping for some voice options for the NAV. Even the most basic NAV systems usually give you options on the voice. Also, I would like the ability to click on the SC icons in the NAV and get more information about them. Extensive information like you would get on a webpage. Overall, I am happy with V7.1 however.

Let's speculate on when this will roll out. I get the feeling it is imminent, voting for 1st half of August, but perhaps delayed to add security (at least the "optics" of enhanced security ? more speculation below), and for summer vacations, so maybe not August but September... ?

As for what's in store, the TMC forum leak thread is here:
Firmware 8.0 information leak

(An aside for Mods, Firmware could be the single most ideal General topic item for the Tesla Model S, no ? Firmware, especially major version upgrades, affects almost all systems, not just User Interface. My opinion.)

From that thread, the Electrek.co beta leak:
Exclusive on Tesla 8.0 update: new Autopilot features, biggest UI refresh since launch and much more

On the NAV update I can't wait to "Avoid Toll Roads" as the current routing is "not cool." Will I also be able to avoid/remove a road in general ? That would be great. Are we getting the ability to add a Waypoint or two to our journey ? These are just for my daily use, there are of course the long distance charging enhancements we also anticipate.

Autopilot "enhancements" scare me since I don't really want for any, and will forever now, sadly, have the fear of feature reduction (I am baffled by "taking exits" being a new thing, it already crosses dashed lines, and then follows lines as long as it can, so I'm not sure what we're talking about here).

On enhanced safety, perhaps they are adding more safety features for version 8 to show that they are working overtime to address the safety concerns. I sure hope they don't go overboard, I allowed Autopilot to navigate some interesting roads recently and was rather impressed that it did not trigger an emergency and slam on the brakes eg. when driving towards a brick wall before a turn. I think the system works really great today, as it was designed, as a driver assist, or "auto pilot" system in the aviation sense, to assist the driver, not to replace.

A new look to the touchscreen interface is neither here nor there for me (though some parts could use a refresh) but enhancements to the Autopilot dash display including the perceived angle of a vehicle on the live display will further enhance safety.

A new browser will be great, as I actually get a lot of use out of it. Even simple screen sharing web sites like join.me trip the current one up, and even news sites are starting to get so clouded with advanced ads and pop-ups that it is getting difficult to read content, so I'm really hopeful here.

Perhaps one day we'll get a full browser experience, eg. including YouTube streaming (over WiFi only if the bandwidth is a concern) when in Park... there doesn't seem to be any legal or technical reason stopping it (but perhaps a media shitstorm at this exact point in time, sigh "when someone hacks it, and watches Harry P...").

For the audio stack, I think we are all hoping for a major refresh not in the interface but in the guts of the thing. Playback skipping, "shearing" (esp. with FLAC) or otherwise dropping, issues with USB, any long file playback is highly risky, especially when streaming and especially with the last firmware update crippling my 3G (dropping constantly). You forget how important having the connected car connected actually is, until it is disconnected :mad:

Video streaming is not a bandwidth issue but a legal issue. No video can play in the US that a driver can see. I believe that this requirement is also what makes the browser so poor performing since it might be an impediment to updating it.

There will be some new useless shiny bell and whistle that Tesla/EM will flaunt like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

There will be no updates to the things that need updates, nav, media, route planning, browser, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex
Video streaming is not a bandwidth issue but a legal issue. No video can play in the US that a driver can see. I believe that this requirement is also what makes the browser so poor performing since it might be an impediment to updating it.
I think that only applies when the car is in drive, not in park.

I think you are right. My wife's new car appears to have an option to play DVDs on the computer screen when the car is in park. I only saw this when I was RTFM-ing, haven't actually tried it myself yet.

Bruce.

In most cars, there is a single wire you can ground and the head unit thinks the car is always in park. Not that I recommend you do it, just saying there is a trivial way to defeat this safety "feature".

Playing videos while parked is allowed in the US. In previous cars, the front display would play DVD movies while the car was parked - and while the car was in motion, the DVD would only play video on the rear display(s).

Especially on a long distance drive, while waiting at a supercharger, it could be useful to display videos on the touchscreen - and play the audio through speakers. The video could be streamed over the Internet, played off a USB thumb drive, or mirrored from a mobile device.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
So seems only 7% got this poll right... but interestingly the majority said October or later and well we're into October now, and I don't have it, and a decent percentage (though a minority probably) in the US still don't have it either.

I have a feeling it's coming tonight to Canada and much of the rest of the world though, or at least this week, based on Elon's tweet.